beejay

Stand alone I-130 for stepchild(ren)

1,280 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

For those of you that are still waiting on NOA2.. stay encouraged..

i think CSC has DEFINATELY slowed down..

i got my original decision from them in the averge 4 months, however it was a RFE..

so i turned in my RFE and what usually should have taken a few weeks MAYBE 30 days, took about 80 days. So i think they are really delayed right now.. My husband's friend who is also applying for his children is having the same slow process. :blush:

sorry bout the DNA testing Ebun but we have some good help on this board with ppl that have been thru it.. We have expected a DNA test for our boys since day one just because of the frequency its done in Jamaica.. i would be delightfuly surprised if we didnt get it.. :whistle: blessings with the rest of the process your almost there

how long did it take to get a visa after the approval post dna test? we did the dna test and finally have the results and follow up interview apt this next week. wondering how long to get the visa from the time of expected approval next week. how long,,,embassy says a week if no problems, other places say a month, because some people say it's longer wait if you apply for permanent residence.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

A question for those who filed for multiple children or who knows the answer (lol):

I'm at NVC stage. Waiting for a case # so we can move on...

I know I have to have 2 sets of forms for each child and process their cases individually, but I can send them all in one packet to NVC. My question is, do I need 2 sets of documents (MY birth certificate, my marriage license, divorce decrees) or will one set work for both cases? With all my I-130 interviews I had to go to, I'm quickly running out of originals for all this stuff!!!

Thanks guys.

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Timeline

yes one application each, i asked nvc this question myself, no when it comes to original documents such as your birth certificate, i piled it with the two children's applications on top of each other, then all the evidence that wasn't duplicated, for example i sent my original birth certificate, (jamaica embassy specific requirement) underneath the two neatly put together applications. Put it all in a big manilla envelope, expressed it with insurance. Each child's original birth certificate obviously went in the pile with their application. but like we made copies of all the western union receits proof of child support, we didn't do that twice. that went in the bottom pile. Also if you were doing a K1 I read on this forum several places people thought western union receits hurt them, made it to look like paid for marriage, in my case, applying for my step children i think proof of financial support was important. We always sent the children money. We saved receits for all their packages, ect. Let me know if i can help you any other way. Everything immigration put me through i feel like i could have equally invested a year of my free time to a college class and be paid to do this. lol

Timeline

Honestly I think it is just what they feel like doing. Her dad is on her birth certificate and we have more than enough paperwork, pictures since she is 3, she is 16 now etc. Multiple trips with both of us and pictures to support those trips etc. First they are requesting school or medical records. If we can not provide those then they want DNA. However, DNA can not be ordered unless they change the paperwork to indicate DNA. The DNA lab said in Minneapolis that they could do it, but sometimes the embassy in Jamaica wont accept it if it has not been ordered, therefore its best to wait until they say to do it, otherwise you could incur paying the money twice.

NICE GOOD LUCK!

my husbend has two kids we applied for, they did their dna test, we are going for results and follow up apt tuesday. They only requested dna test on one child. BECAUSE his son's birth certificate his last name was spelled wrong. 100% everything i read especially in jamaica if you ammend that birth certificate you can count on a dna test and it happened to me. my kids could have been here by now. So almost three months later. hope they will be approved tuesday and hope there visa gets here by christmas....small change:(:( still anxious, gettin to the point can barley sleep:(:(

Timeline

lovejamaica-

Call the Immigrant Visa (IV) line at your embassy and ask to be transfered to the Fraud Prevention Unit (FPU) concerning DNA testing. When you get someone in the FPU department ask to speak with the person in charge of DNA scheduling to see if they can't tell you what's going on and maybe get your schedule pushed up.

I was able to get our DNA collection for 2 weeks after our interview by doing this.

Good luck

dang:(:( thx beejay, our apt is tuesday, wish i would have done that a month ago. and jamaica embassy does not answer a telephone so i don't understand how I would do that???

Timeline

Can I please ask if you know why the DNA test was required? We are getting ready to petition for my husbands son. My husband was not married to the child's mother but is named as the father on the child's birth certificate. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

yes because my step son's name was spelled wrong, we had to go to jamaica over a year ago before applying for i 130 and do a huge nasty big deal to get the birth certificate amended to spell his name right, so they want dna on him but not the daughter. because we had his name just spelled wrong and had to be fixed. get school records with the father's name i think that is why they didn't care about the other daughter.

Timeline

Great! congrats :dance: yeahhh!

Hurricane made them close on Wednesday and Thursday. Hopefully things will get back on track and it should be ready for Tuesday.

How long did it take to get your visa in th email , considering the hurricane messed it up a lil? they wrote urgent. gosh hope they do that for us tuesday. right before christmas:(:( unless they can get the visa to us in three business days it will be after christmas.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

LOVEJAMAICA!!!! HOW EXCITING!!! I completely have faith that those babies will be here by Christmas!!! I'm crossing my EVERYTHING for you and will say extra prayers throughout the week!

Wow, I really really do NOT like the emotional rollercoster this process puts people through!

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Timeline

A question for those who filed for multiple children or who knows the answer (lol):

I know I have to have 2 sets of forms for each child and process their cases individually, but I can send them all in one packet to NVC. My question is, do I need 2 sets of documents (MY birth certificate, my marriage license, divorce decrees) or will one set work for both cases? With all my I-130 interviews I had to go to, I'm quickly running out of originals for all this stuff!!!

Thanks guys.

good question..i didnt think about that..

dang:(:( thx beejay, our apt is tuesday, wish i would have done that a month ago. and jamaica embassy does not answer a telephone so i don't understand how I would do that???

What BJ suggested as you figured is not possible because the Jamaican US embassy doesn't list a number where individuals with queries can contact them.

Visas seem to be ready for pick up between 3-10 working days after they are issued. Some folks even had to wait up to a month. Considering that your case was not clear cut easy peazy, I'm forced to think it may take no less than 6 working days for your kids to get their stuff. It seems you'll get more of a new years gift than one for Christmas.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

yes because my step son's name was spelled wrong, we had to go to jamaica over a year ago before applying for i 130 and do a huge nasty big deal to get the birth certificate amended to spell his name right, so they want dna on him but not the daughter. because we had his name just spelled wrong and had to be fixed. get school records with the father's name i think that is why they didn't care about the other daughter.

We can get the school records. The last two years of school show where he's resided with his father. All the school records show my husband as the father. We also have saved receipts from western union and the post office from where we've sent money and gifts for his Christmas. I am really trying to avoid having to have the DNA tests done. He is only 5 years old and we are trying to get him here as quickly as possible. USCIS still has the child's original birth certificate from my husbands petition. We have sent 2 G-884 request forms and still haven't gotten it back yet. I've contacted the Ombudsman's office at this point to try and get it back. If these people had any clue to what it was like for all of us they wouldn't make the numerous errors over and over again with our cases. I have never met more incompetent people in my life than that work for USCIS.

It's look like your nearing the end of the process at least :)

For anyone that reads this in the future I would suggest the same approach I mentioned earlier but to use email to try and reach the Fraud Prevention Unit of the Immigrant Visa Section at the embassy. If you let them know you are requesting an expedite by writing "expedite" in the subject line along with case #, name, etc. that could help get it looked at by a human quicker.

Also most embassies have a time when USC's are able to call a citizen line. You can try having the USC call the USC line to get a hold of the Fraud Prevention Unit.

Hope this will all end soon for you and you can have the kids home. Was today the 2nd appointment for your kids? How did that go?

Thanks guys.

I sent each packet as a separate entity - each with it's own set of documentation.

I just double checked my NVC stuff to confirm and I only sent originals where it pertained to the beneficiaries. I sent copies of everything related to me (including birth cert. and financial info). I believe my thinking was that if they want the originals they could see them at the interview. NVC did not ask for originals of anything I sent copies of.

I had 2 statements from their mother each with original signature giving permission for them to immigrate permanently.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

my kids had their first interview oct first, requested a dna test that day. i paid for the test and had it on it's way to jamaica that day. we are just now waiting for a follow up interview this next week to see if they can now be approved. little hope that the visa will be delivered in three days after the interview. so unless we get it in three days after the iinterview, which is possible, they will not be here by christmas. my case was accepted by uscis january 2012. the dna test was a pain and slowed us way down. but i acted as fast as I could on my part,

How long does it take to get the results?

Edited by Ebun12

Timeline

How long does it take to get the results?

dna results two days, they were emailed back to the embassy, but from the time they asked for the dna til the follow up interview which was yesterday, it took october first til Dec yesterday, hurricane, made it postpone a lil, they claimed they had a hard time reaching the guardian was the hold up, the dna company itself works fast. it is the embassy that holds it up, hurricane sandy didn't help. i was very pleased with the dna company i chose. it was the largest in the world. my husbend only had to drive 30 minutes to give a sample and we live in rural washington. and they were fast, it was the embassy. they wouldn't just email me a follow up apt day and time, they had to call the guardian on file in jamaica who lives in the country side in jamaica, not great service, and of course the embassy won't leave voice messages because they refuse to allow us to call them. So interview yesterday, all they did was take my kids passports and send them to dhl......I guess they are approved?????? now playing the wait game again. the embassy told me themself, 3 to 10 days business days, wait however if there is a problem it will take longer up to a month.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.