beejay

Stand alone I-130 for stepchild(ren)

1,280 posts in this topic

Woo hoo! Such exciting times! What kind of things are you sending for the interview? I am only - so far - sending photographs, and I will include tax transcripts (we filed the I-864W but I would NOT be surprised if our embassy asks for the tax information anyway... better to be prepared, as that would be a total pain to try to get those from abroad).

I noticed you were approved on April 23. lucy4 and I were approved right after that, but are waiting and waiting with no interview date assigned yet. Apparently the cut-off for this month was something between the 23rd and 26th.

lucy4 - did you ever request the expedite for the interview? If not, I say now is the time! If you have been reading over in the June Interview thread, it looks like the only cases assigned interview dates in the middle of the month were expedites - according to recent trends. We are probably going to be waiting until the very end of May/beginning of June for a date to be assigned - which means that we may receive end of July interview dates! Or even August. Of course I hope this is incorrect and we hear something soon...

Hmmm... no I didnt. I just figured we'd be scheduled early June for an early July interview. August would be cutting it too close for me. I didnt realize we can request an expedite. How do you request that? Her grandmother's health, which was my reason for an expedite before, actually did get a little worse, and her grandmother left the country about 2 wks ago. She moved in with her maternal grandmother, who is already complaining about the expense and asking us for money. We are hesitant to send money right now because we are trying to pay for the rest of this process, which will more than likely cost a few more thousand between the medical and hotel and back and forth plane tix.

10/10/07 - I-129F sent to VSC

04/30/08 - POE Newark

07/06/08 - Wedding..... I'm Married Yall!!!

I130 for Minor Child

7/26/12 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

3/25/13 - NVC received my case

4/08/13 - Emailed ds3032 template

4/09/13 - NVC case number and IIN number generated

4/11/13 - aos fee bill invoiced/paid/and pkg sent

4/12/13 - aos fee paid again after being rejected/ds3032 resent and accepted

4/15/13 - aos pkg delivered/iv bill invoiced and paid

4/16/13 - iv pkg sent express mail/ aos status changed to paid

4/17/13 - iv pkg delivered/ iv status changed to paid.

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

5/10/13 - Interview notice emailed.

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Woo hoo! Such exciting times! What kind of things are you sending for the interview? I am only - so far - sending photographs, and I will include tax transcripts (we filed the I-864W but I would NOT be surprised if our embassy asks for the tax information anyway... better to be prepared, as that would be a total pain to try to get those from abroad).

I noticed you were approved on April 23. lucy4 and I were approved right after that, but are waiting and waiting with no interview date assigned yet. Apparently the cut-off for this month was something between the 23rd and 26th.

lucy4 - did you ever request the expedite for the interview? If not, I say now is the time! If you have been reading over in the June Interview thread, it looks like the only cases assigned interview dates in the middle of the month were expedites - according to recent trends. We are probably going to be waiting until the very end of May/beginning of June for a date to be assigned - which means that we may receive end of July interview dates! Or even August. Of course I hope this is incorrect and we hear something soon...

Serenity - I am sending everything I sent to NVC and USCIS all supporting docuements. I am also sending I-864, I-864A and transcripts from both my husband and myself. I am on workman's comp so, I also asked my brother to do co sponsor forms as a back up. I know at the interview they can determine you need a co signer, even though you already had an approved AOS. But I am also sending pictures, western union receipts thats pretty much all I could think of.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

the letter said this exactly :: The NVC recently received this petition. The appropriate agent

(applicant, petitioner, or attorney) will receive instructions for the

further processing of this petition within 6 to 8 weeks.

I emailed the Choice of Agent to NVC and did not sign anything, just said it was for each one of my kids, and my hubby will be person to contact and that I as their mother sign off on it.

I am like you, where I want to get money together, get plans made, hotels booked, medicals lined up etc....I hate this waiting game.

The messages they send appear to be inconsistent... FYI our acceptance message to our e-mail Choice of Agent said: "We received the principal applicant's DS-3032 (Choice of Address and Agent) form designating an address and agent. Instructions for paying the immigrant visa application processing fee and all future correspondence will be sent to the agent at the address selected on the DS-3032. ..." then the IV bill was invoiced a couple of days later.

Yours does appear to be a real response. If so, you are the first case I have heard of having a Choice of Agent accepted before receiving an NVC case number (though it makes sense that they would be able to do this - if you had a lawyer, that person is automatically your agent, long before you receive any NVC numbers). You should post your experience over at the May NVC filers thread. Many folks would love to do this if it shaves off a couple of weeks (which is how long it took my Choice of Agent to be accepted *after* I waited to receive the NVC numbers). You would still have to wait for the numbers to be invoiced/pay, but presumably your IV bill will come right after the numbers are generated if you have a Choice of Agent on file already.

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Timeline

Hmmm... no I didnt. I just figured we'd be scheduled early June for an early July interview. August would be cutting it too close for me. I didnt realize we can request an expedite. How do you request that? Her grandmother's health, which was my reason for an expedite before, actually did get a little worse, and her grandmother left the country about 2 wks ago. She moved in with her maternal grandmother, who is already complaining about the expense and asking us for money. We are hesitant to send money right now because we are trying to pay for the rest of this process, which will more than likely cost a few more thousand between the medical and hotel and back and forth plane tix.

I remember you had some serious complications with her care. I think the embassy has discretion in these matters and if they want to/have availability, they can fit you in sooner rather than later... you know, go over to the spouse NVC or Interview threads and ask there. I know that people have done it successfully. The only thing I am not sure about is whether you have to have a date scheduled first, then you request an earlier date - which won't help much if you have to wait 3 MORE WEEKS to even be scheduled.

I am now resigned to not hearing anything until the end of May and receiving an end-of-June to end-of-July date. grrrrrrrr End of July would STINK! Half the summer gone already. NOW I am kicking my own butt for dawdling a bit at the NVC stage. Serves me right for thinking I could have any control whatsoever in this process! I was worried to finish too soon (others with our same NOA-2 date had their interviews at the beginning of May).

c'mon end of June, END OF JUNE!!! smile.png Yes I am getting uptight about this. All my husband's family is getting antsy about plans and of course it is up to me to make them understand all these processes, and now my husband thinks I have ruined the summer because we didn't do NVC as quickly as possible.

The prelude - 2007
CR-1 - 2008
ROC - 2010-2011
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

I remember you had some serious complications with her care. I think the embassy has discretion in these matters and if they want to/have availability, they can fit you in sooner rather than later... you know, go over to the spouse NVC or Interview threads and ask there. I know that people have done it successfully. The only thing I am not sure about is whether you have to have a date scheduled first, then you request an earlier date - which won't help much if you have to wait 3 MORE WEEKS to even be scheduled.

I am now resigned to not hearing anything until the end of May and receiving an end-of-June to end-of-July date. grrrrrrrr End of July would STINK! Half the summer gone already. NOW I am kicking my own butt for dawdling a bit at the NVC stage. Serves me right for thinking I could have any control whatsoever in this process! I was worried to finish too soon (others with our same NOA-2 date had their interviews at the beginning of May).

c'mon end of June, END OF JUNE!!! smile.png Yes I am getting uptight about this. All my husband's family is getting antsy about plans and of course it is up to me to make them understand all these processes, and now my husband thinks I have ruined the summer because we didn't do NVC as quickly as possible.

I had contacted the embassy as soon as our case was completed, and they told me the NVC schedules. So yea, Id probably have to wait til its scheduled. I remember having positive experiences with the embassy changing dates etc, so Ill definitely do that if necessary, but I'm still hoping for early July. It sucks, because then she still needs to go back home and wait for the passport to be sent out etc, which would mean late July as the earliest time she could be here, and maybe even later if we have to do dna testing. I really want to just get her here so she can be adjusted before school, and registered for school etc. But at this point, if we do get early July, I dont think I would expedite, because I would need time to make and pay for the travel arrangements.

I totally understand where you're coming from with his family, because they felt as though I didn't know what I was doing, or maybe even that I hadn't done anything at all, when we had to wait the 8 months for noa2.

This whole process is just frustrating.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone, my husband is filing for myself and my 2 children aged 8 and 10.

We re at the NVC stage, both packages were delivered there 2 days ago.

The children are French, like me, but were born out of wedlocks, in England and have an English biological dad.

I am a little antsy about the interbiew stage, as the biological Dad has never supported them dinancially since our break up 7 years ago. I am wondering what kind of documentation I ll have to provide at interview stage...

I'm the beneficiary
Married June 2010

USCIS (49 days) NVC (42 days)

02/06/13 I130 sent 04/12/2013 NVC received file

02/08/13 I130 delivered to Phoenix Lockbox 04/23/2013 Case numbers assigned and DS3032 emailed

02/13/13 NOA1 04/29/2013 Cases finally linked for AOS payment - paid straightaway

02/13/13 Fees cashed on 05/02/2013 DS3032 accepted
02/16/13 I797 received (pd 02/08/2013) 05/03/2013 AOS packages sent
04/02/2013 Available on USCIS website 05/03/2013 IV fee paid
04/03/2013 NOA2 05/04/2013 AOS status 'PAID'

04/08/2013 Paper NOA2 received 05/06/2013 IV package sent
05/08/2013 AOS and IV delivered to NVC
05/17/2013 Expedite request filed

05/21/2013 IV Package approved (9 bus. days)

05/22/2013 AOS on hold (new version used)
05/24/2013 Expedite approved by Paris Embassy (docs shipped on same day)

EMBASSY (Paris) POE 08/15/2013 PHI

05/24/2013 applications received by email

05/2/2013 paper applications received

05/30/2013 moved from 'in transit' to 'ready' on DOS

06/03/2013 email received for medical and interview

06/21/2013 medical

06/26/2013 interview - APPROVED!!!!

OMG! Guess what y'all? I just got my email. Yes May 10th and the interview is in pretty much 2 weeks. June 5th. Lord have mercy, be careful what you ask for. How am I gonna plan everything in 2 wks?

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Timeline

OMG! Guess what y'all? I just got my email. Yes May 10th and the interview is in pretty much 2 weeks. June 5th. Lord have mercy, be careful what you ask for. How am I gonna plan everything in 2 wks?

Congratulations, That is kinda how I felt.. You can do it, think positive. The main thing is getting the medicals done. Start putting things together, I understand the requirements for evidence is not as much as for a spouse. At lease I hope because I can not think of too much to show evidence.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Congratulations, That is kinda how I felt.. You can do it, think positive. The main thing is getting the medicals done. Start putting things together, I understand the requirements for evidence is not as much as for a spouse. At lease I hope because I can not think of too much to show evidence.

Thanks Evoria. I can't believe it, feels so surreal. We were just discussing expediting earlier today. We all have to travel to a third country and the medicals have to be done there. So we have to book for at least 3 days before the interview date.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Timeline

I just saw that in the interview list!!!!! Congratulations! That IS soon!

boo hoo, now I am lonely on that list, the only end of April approval without a date...

The prelude - 2007
CR-1 - 2008
ROC - 2010-2011
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.

IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC

Timeline

Hi everyone, my husband is filing for myself and my 2 children aged 8 and 10.

We re at the NVC stage, both packages were delivered there 2 days ago.

The children are French, like me, but were born out of wedlocks, in England and have an English biological dad.

I am a little antsy about the interbiew stage, as the biological Dad has never supported them dinancially since our break up 7 years ago. I am wondering what kind of documentation I ll have to provide at interview stage...

Hi! And welcome. I don't know the answer to this question specifically, but I would imagine that you would just need documentation that either you have sole custody or that the bio dad gives permission for the children to permanently immigrate to the United States. Probably you should contact your consulate to see what they have to say. Good luck to you!

The prelude - 2007
CR-1 - 2008
ROC - 2010-2011
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.

IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC

Timeline

Thanks Evoria. I can't believe it, feels so surreal. We were just discussing expediting earlier today. We all have to travel to a third country and the medicals have to be done there. So we have to book for at least 3 days before the interview date.

I am sending my husband 3 wks early. He is actually leaving tomorrow for the June 6th interview. He has to get the pictures, and the medicals done. We also as a back-up had custody papers made, just in case. I am praying that they do not ask for DNA. I do not think they will, but I am a person who worries about everything and like to control every situation. The fact that I cant go to this interview and control the situation is making me crazy. When we went for my husbands interview I had so much stuff, they CO's were laughing like you are serious. I just hate promissing a child something and then having to explain, why I cant. I think with Ghana it just scares me because the ínterviewer seems to try to pull anything out their hat to deny a case. For my husbands interview after having already presenting the AOS to the NVC, the CO asked for the tax transcripts. Luckily for me I am a member of visa journey and had it ready. She did not even look at it, she looked defeated and said you are approved.

Timeline

good.gif

I just saw that in the interview list!!!!! Congratulations! That IS soon!

boo hoo, now I am lonely on that list, the only end of April approval without a date...

There is sitll the possiblity that you could get an interview date. Lucy just got interview date yesterday. I am thinking positive thoughts. good.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi All, Getting ready to apply for my 2 step kids 5 abd 9 from Jamaica on the I-130 CR 2 at the same time and getting the docs from their mother. My question is at any point will I need to send in their origional birth cert or origional passport? We are wondering if she should send us the origional birth certs and origional passports now or if copies of both will suffice. Definately do not want them to get lost in the mail but if at petition send off point or at NVC send off we need origionals of either it might just be beneficial to have the origionals of both now. I know I hear that copies are ok for I-130 and that you may need the origional BC's at NVC is that correct? and how about the passort? Is copies ok at I-130 and NVC and then have the origional passport for the interview? Any answers are appreacitated! thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Also regarding DNA. we had a DNA test done for his daughter. do not have one for his son. His son has his same name and my husband was just recently added to both kids BC's as he was not on there prior and they were born out of wedlock to the same mother as they were never married. Would it be best to include the daughters DNA test in the I130 petition for extra evidence or just wait until it may be asked for at the embassy and if so provide it then? It was done by an Accredited place called DDC. Thoughts?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.