beejay

Stand alone I-130 for stepchild(ren)

1,280 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Everybody,

I enjoy reading about everybody's success this far. It gives me hope that I too will be successful soon.

My daughter is 20 and in South Africa .Our case is at NVC and I am waiting to pay the fee.

She has received the Choice of agent and we are so happy but scared beyond words because it seems Like the REAL work starts now!

I will have lots of questions I and would appreciate all the help I can get when the time comes. I am one step behind Lucy and I am so happy that I can follow her post and gain knowledge .Thanks so much everybody.

hi!!! heres to a swift rest of your process :dance:

Do I send the choice of agent for to the nvcinquiry@state.gov email address ? If not ,what addie should I use?

Thanks

yes, thats the address.

10/10/07 - I-129F sent to VSC

04/30/08 - POE Newark

07/06/08 - Wedding..... I'm Married Yall!!!

I130 for Minor Child

7/26/12 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

3/25/13 - NVC received my case

4/08/13 - Emailed ds3032 template

4/09/13 - NVC case number and IIN number generated

4/11/13 - aos fee bill invoiced/paid/and pkg sent

4/12/13 - aos fee paid again after being rejected/ds3032 resent and accepted

4/15/13 - aos pkg delivered/iv bill invoiced and paid

4/16/13 - iv pkg sent express mail/ aos status changed to paid

4/17/13 - iv pkg delivered/ iv status changed to paid.

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

5/10/13 - Interview notice emailed.

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

OMG!!!! We are soooo happy!!!! :star::dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: we received our approval e-mail today!!!! Thank you all for your wisdom and for sharing your experiences here!!!! :thumbs: Now we want to start the NVC stage as soon as we can. I have a couple of questions: :help:

1 . My husband is the Petitioner for my son, who is turning 20 on may. Does my husband need to fill an Affidavit of Support? in that case, which one.? :huh:

2 . I am currently in the process to be approved as a Permanent Resident (Removal of Conditions stage), does this mean my son will enter the country with a 3 year conditional card, or does he obtains the 10 year green card, or, since my husband is the one petitioning for him, does he enters the country as a US Citizen?

Thank you all for your responses. (L) (L) (L) I am extremely happy, and really overwhelmed. I don't know where to start!!! :dance:

Citizenship Event Date Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox CIS Office : Santa Ana CA Date Filed : 2013-05-15 NOA Date : 2013-05-20 Bio. Appt. : 2013-06-13 Interview Date : 2013-09-03 Approved : Yes Oath Ceremony : 2013-09-27 Comments :

3rs1cazbtpo05.png

OMG!!!! We are soooo happy!!!! :star::dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: we received our approval e-mail today!!!! Thank you all for your wisdom and for sharing your experiences here!!!! :thumbs: Now we want to start the NVC stage as soon as we can. I have a couple of questions: :help:

1 . My husband is the Petitioner for my son, who is turning 20 on may. Does my husband need to fill an Affidavit of Support? in that case, which one.? :huh:

2 . I am currently in the process to be approved as a Permanent Resident (Removal of Conditions stage), does this mean my son will enter the country with a 3 year conditional card, or does he obtains the 10 year green card, or, since my husband is the one petitioning for him, does he enters the country as a US Citizen?

Thank you all for your responses. (L) (L) (L) I am extremely happy, and really overwhelmed. I don't know where to start!!! :dance:

Your husband (or whoever is the sponsor) will need to fill out an AOS form. Your son will need to fill out the DS230 form. I'm not sure as far as which visa he will receive (conditional or 10 yr) There is an NVC forum in the IR1 forum here, it has such valuable info. Join that thread.

Here is the link:

nvc thread

Edited by lucy4

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hi Everybody,

I enjoy reading about everybody's success this far. It gives me hope that I too will be successful soon.

My daughter is 20 and in South Africa .Our case is at NVC and I am waiting to pay the fee.

She has received the Choice of agent and we are so happy but scared beyond words because it seems Like the REAL work starts now!

I will have lots of questions I and would appreciate all the help I can get when the time comes. I am one step behind Lucy and I am so happy that I can follow her post and gain knowledge .Thanks so much everybody.

Welcome! And congratulations on case @ NVC. I just a few days ahead of Lucy - just waiting for "Case Approved"! - all paperwork was sent last week. My case is slightly different, as I am the stepparent but my husband is the petitioner (I am the designated Agent as well as the only one coming to VisaJourney to find out all the information :) ) My husband is a USC now and his son is less than 18, so he will become a citizen when we get through this process. We filed the I-864W (waiver) because of this.

I know this question has been asked and tossed about, but, should the petitioner go to the interview for the kids. I am the USC, my husband was just going to go home and do the interview with the kids and hopefully come back with them. He has been here a year and soon to begin the adjusting process. Anyone who has gone through the process, will is it necessary to show a relationship between myself (the step mother) and the kids?

I don't think the petitioner has to go, unless maybe there is a requirement if the child is young (there is this requirement for a B2 visa, but I don't remember the age cutoff for the child to attend the interview unaccompanied). There is a post earlier up from sancruz saying that many of us would worry about the logistics of the other bio-parent getting the kid there etc (we ran into this problem when the kids applied for a tourist visa). My husband *is* going to his son's interview, but mostly for moral support....

About proving a relationship with the petitioner, as long as you are married to the parent of the child (you sent your marriage certificate with the I-130 application? And again with the DS-230 now? I'm not entirely sure about this, since this doesn't apply to our situation; I am completely irrelevant to my stepson's immigration process now that my husband is a citizen) - that is enough. They may question paternity, and if that is the case a DNA test will be required. There is a post waaaaay back in this thread, I think from beejay, saying that the stepparent isn't even required to have met the child, just be married to the parent of the child. I've seen that elsewhere as well.

Congratuations!! And all the information is here - go check out the monthly NVC thread for the CR1/IR-1's. I haven't posted much there this month but basically ALL the information is there.

1. Yes AOS, will be regular I-864 since he is sponsoring a stepchild

2. That is an interesting question - he will definitely be a permanent resident first because he is over 18 and second because he is not your husband's biological child - but I don't know if you haven't removed conditions yet if he will get a 2-year or a 10-year green card... what a pain if he gets conditional residence. I will be interested to see what the answer is! I hope 10-year.

{ETA: haha Lucy posted at the same time... yes, what Lucy said!!}

Edited by SerenityNOW

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thank you guys!!!! You rock!!!! :)

Citizenship Event Date Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox CIS Office : Santa Ana CA Date Filed : 2013-05-15 NOA Date : 2013-05-20 Bio. Appt. : 2013-06-13 Interview Date : 2013-09-03 Approved : Yes Oath Ceremony : 2013-09-27 Comments :

3rs1cazbtpo05.png

Filed: IR-2 Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello everyone :)

I've been reading some of the posts and what a journey some of u had. My stepdad filed for me but the process has been moving soooooo slow I've just grown more impatient. I had a MSC receipt number and after 5 months from originally sending the I130 we called and two days later we got our NOA2. That was 04/03. My question is how long do I wait before I start calling the NVC ? They all think I should wait until the 30 days but looking at some of the timelines on this site I'm basically 10-15 days after NOA2 to case received

IR2 Journey

USCIS:

11/13/2012 - I-130 sent

11/17/2012 - NOA1

04/03/2013 - NOA2

NVC:

04/15/2013 - NVC received case

04/25/2013 - Received case #'s and IIN

04/25/2013 - Set up e-mail addresses

04/29/2013 - AOS fees requested & paid

04/29/2013 - Received DS-3032 form

04/29/2013 - Sent DS- 3032 e-mail template

05/02/2013 - AOS fees shows as PAID

05/07/2013 - AOS package sent off

05/10/2013 - DS-3032 email accepted

05/13/2013 - IV Processing fees requested & paid

Hello everyone :)

I've been reading some of the posts and what a journey some of u had. My stepdad filed for me but the process has been moving soooooo slow I've just grown more impatient. I had a MSC receipt number and after 5 months from originally sending the I130 we called and two days later we got our NOA2. That was 04/03. My question is how long do I wait before I start calling the NVC ? They all think I should wait until the 30 days but looking at some of the timelines on this site I'm basically 10-15 days after NOA2 to case received

You can definitely call now. The NVC should have your case already. Although it seems that the field offices take a little longer to send them and send them in bulk. The worst thing that can happen is they say they dont have your case yet.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Timeline

You can definitely call now. The NVC should have your case already. Although it seems that the field offices take a little longer to send them and send them in bulk. The worst thing that can happen is they say they dont have your case yet.

I called and they said they received my case a week ago :dance:

But I'll have to wait 3 weeks to get a case number :(

IR2 Journey

USCIS:

11/13/2012 - I-130 sent

11/17/2012 - NOA1

04/03/2013 - NOA2

NVC:

I called and they said they received my case a week ago :dance:

But I'll have to wait 3 weeks to get a case number :(

You should try again later this week.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Got an email at 6am stating that "NVC has received enough documentation to complete Pre processing" and an interview date will soon be set. Very happy. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Got an email at 6am stating that "NVC has received enough documentation to complete Pre processing" and an interview date will soon be set. Very happy. Thanks everyone for all your help.

awesome!! smooth sailing from this point on..what a relief to be done with nvc. hope you get an interview soon

the rest of us shouldnt be too far behind you YAYYYYYY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

awesome!! smooth sailing from this point on..what a relief to be done with nvc. hope you get an interview soon

the rest of us shouldnt be too far behind you YAYYYYYY

Lets hope it is smooth. I pray everyone will hear something this week. I did the DHL check to see if NVC had sent anything to Ghana, they had sent something on the 19 of April. Wishful thinking it was us, but a girl can dream cant she. :D

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Timeline

Got my case number and IIN and set up an e-mail today :)

I'm beyond happy right now :dance:

IR2 Journey

USCIS:

11/13/2012 - I-130 sent

11/17/2012 - NOA1

04/03/2013 - NOA2

NVC:

WOW , I love success stories. Happy for you and your family.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.