beejay

Stand alone I-130 for stepchild(ren)

1,280 posts in this topic

My boys had their interview today!!! They got sent for a DNA test but are APPROVED UPON RECEIPT OF POSITIVE MATCH OF DNA TEST!!!!!!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

yay! Congrats Kazulie!

10/10/07 - I-129F sent to VSC

04/30/08 - POE Newark

07/06/08 - Wedding..... I'm Married Yall!!!

I130 for Minor Child

7/26/12 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

3/25/13 - NVC received my case

4/08/13 - Emailed ds3032 template

4/09/13 - NVC case number and IIN number generated

4/11/13 - aos fee bill invoiced/paid/and pkg sent

4/12/13 - aos fee paid again after being rejected/ds3032 resent and accepted

4/15/13 - aos pkg delivered/iv bill invoiced and paid

4/16/13 - iv pkg sent express mail/ aos status changed to paid

4/17/13 - iv pkg delivered/ iv status changed to paid.

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

5/10/13 - Interview notice emailed.

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

sdunning2002 - Welcome and good luck with your filing. Like Serenity said you have a few extra things but it's nothing to worry about.

Since time is not a huge concern to us at the moment, I am going to send the choice of agent e-mail (from stepson's account) WITHOUT the actual DS-3032 form attached to see if it works. Some people have said that the form must be attached to a minor's application (for sure it is not required for spouse applications). I am doing the test to find out if it is true or not.

I am really curious to know if this works too. I have been wondering why a few of us have had problems when sending only the email for the choice of agent - even if it is sent from an email NVC has on file. This issue does seem to be specific to IR2 cases.

Thanks ladies, for all the info. Im so excited not to be alone anymore.

Serenity, you just opened another question, are you the petitioner or your husband? If you are the petitioner, wouldnt you have I864? I think beejay explained before that I864W would only be accepted if the child's citizen parent is the petitioner. Let me know if it works for you, because I'd much rather file the W than the regular form.

My stepchild is 13, so Im gonna have her father sign everything.

I'm really hoping it was just a fluke and that you and Serenity will be able to get through with the W's. Especially if you're not worried about breezing through NVC I think it's worth trying. We had our tax stuff ready to go just in case so I think getting the W rejected and then sending in the I-864 cost us about 2 weeks.

My boys had their interview today!!! They got sent for a DNA test but are APPROVED UPON RECEIPT OF POSITIVE MATCH OF DNA TEST!!!!!!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Just saw your other thread. So happy for you!! You've worked through a lot to get to this point. Such a relief to know you are near the finish line with the kids and that once the DNA is sent all that's left is waiting for visas to be issued. Did they keep the kids passports? Are you waiting until the summer to bring them or as soon as they get the visas?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Congratulations Kazulie!!!! omg i cant believe it.. am sooooo happy for you, i know you are filled with joy that this is finally over all that youve been thru! :dance::dance:

lucy4, i only scanned over the ds230 but i thought the part for them to sign said to wait and fill out at the embassy?? i will look at it again

I am really curious to know if this works too. I have been wondering why a few of us have had problems when sending only the email for the choice of agent - even if it is sent from an email NVC has on file. This issue does seem to be specific to IR2 cases.I'm really hoping it was just a fluke and that you and Serenity will be able to get through with the W's. Especially if you're not worried about breezing through NVC I think it's worth trying. We had our tax stuff ready to go just in case so I think getting the W rejected and then sending in the I-864 cost us about 2 weeks.

Nah, we've lost enough time with USCIS, so Im probably going to just go with 864. I will try to wait until school ends before she immigrates, but given Grandma'a health issue, I want her to be ready asap.

lucy4, i only scanned over the ds230 but i thought the part for them to sign said to wait and fill out at the embassy?? i will look at it again

I have to look again, Im not too sure either but I thought you signed part 1, and waited to sign part 2. I vaguely remember that from the K1 days.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

yay! Congrats Kazulie!

Thank you, Lady!

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Timeline

Just saw your other thread. So happy for you!! You've worked through a lot to get to this point. Such a relief to know you are near the finish line with the kids and that once the DNA is sent all that's left is waiting for visas to be issued. Did they keep the kids passports? Are you waiting until the summer to bring them or as soon as they get the visas?

Such a relief!

I don't think they kept the boys' passports (I forgot to ask) but I don't think they do when a DNA is requested as it could be months and months before visas are issued. I will have to get back to you on that one.

Hubby had his DNA test yesterday (we had the boys scan us the letter asap and we went straight away to get the dna process started!). The boys' kits will arrive in Lagos by the end of the week. The whole process will take a minimum of 2 months, maybe even 4 so it will be summer by the time they get the visa. perfect timing for us to hang out and have fun and get to know each other for a couple of months. Then real life starts: school, going back to work, schedules...fun fun fun!

To those still going through the process....KEEP PUSHING! YOU WILL BE REWARDED IN THE END! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Congratulations Kazulie!!!! omg i cant believe it.. am sooooo happy for you, i know you are filled with joy that this is finally over all that youve been thru! :dance::dance:

Thank you, Lady! I'm extremely happy. I can't wait for everyone to be able to feel the relief and joy when this whole journey finally comes to an end!!!

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

KIDS' CASES

NVC

US Embassy Lagos

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Such a relief!

I don't think they kept the boys' passports (I forgot to ask) but I don't think they do when a DNA is requested as it could be months and months before visas are issued. I will have to get back to you on that one.

Hubby had his DNA test yesterday (we had the boys scan us the letter asap and we went straight away to get the dna process started!). The boys' kits will arrive in Lagos by the end of the week. The whole process will take a minimum of 2 months, maybe even 4 so it will be summer by the time they get the visa. perfect timing for us to hang out and have fun and get to know each other for a couple of months. Then real life starts: school, going back to work, schedules...fun fun fun!

To those still going through the process....KEEP PUSHING! YOU WILL BE REWARDED IN THE END! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Summer will be a perfect time for them to come :) If they didn't keep the passports I would try and get in contact with the embassy to see their procedure for mailing back or dropping off the passports. I had the DNA place here email me with the tracking number when they sent the results back to the embassy so that I could have the passports already waiting at the embassy. We had to use a specific courier and then I wrote a simple cover letter and included cases numbers as well as tracking number of the DNA results.

Granted you don't have to do all that and can wait until the embassy contacts you but I have a feeling when the results are on their way back to the embassy you and your husband are going to be pretty antsy to get those visas issued and buy tickets as soon as possible. That time is coming!!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I am really curious to know if this works too. I have been wondering why a few of us have had problems when sending only the email for the choice of agent - even if it is sent from an email NVC has on file. This issue does seem to be specific to IR2 cases.

Well, no movement so far on whether the DS-3032 e-mail version has been accepted yet (no reply except the auto-reply - not sure if I am supposed to receive a message about acceptance or not?) and IV bill has not been invoiced yet.

beejay - did you receive a reply about the e-mail not being enough? or was it just never accepted until you sent the form?

I know some IR/CR-1s have had to follow up with an e-mail with "SUPERVISOR REVIEW" in the subject line and have it accepted and IV bill invoiced the next day. Maybe I'll try that next. Really I am just curious and hoping to find out if this works for others behind me in the process. I could just pop the form in the mail, the old-fashioned way :)

Congratulations on approval!!! It stinks about the wait for the DNA test though... were you expecting it? It would be nice if they would allow folks to do the test before the interview (though I know it is expensive...) so you wouldn't have this added wait on top of the already long wait. Anyway, you must feel great that it's almost over and luckily you are in the same situation as a lot of us here that the kids can't come till the summer anyway.

Well, no movement so far on whether the DS-3032 e-mail version has been accepted yet (no reply except the auto-reply - not sure if I am supposed to receive a message about acceptance or not?) and IV bill has not been invoiced yet.

beejay - did you receive a reply about the e-mail not being enough? or was it just never accepted until you sent the form?

I know some IR/CR-1s have had to follow up with an e-mail with "SUPERVISOR REVIEW" in the subject line and have it accepted and IV bill invoiced the next day. Maybe I'll try that next. Really I am just curious and hoping to find out if this works for others behind me in the process. I could just pop the form in the mail, the old-fashioned way :)

Congratulations on approval!!! It stinks about the wait for the DNA test though... were you expecting it? It would be nice if they would allow folks to do the test before the interview (though I know it is expensive...) so you wouldn't have this added wait on top of the already long wait. Anyway, you must feel great that it's almost over and luckily you are in the same situation as a lot of us here that the kids can't come till the summer anyway.

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

FINALLY GUYs....we have our step-daughter here. We had a final interview on February 15th in which I and her father attended. They questioned me more than anyone else and they finally approved her. We ended up getting medical records proving her father was her father versus doing DNA. They were happy with that. So she arrived on Friday with her father. We had some drama while we were in Jamaica and my brother in law was murdered in front of us at a party. Shot 5 times over a girl! The girl arranged his murder. Its been real difficult, but we are all finally back here.

Anyway, guys help me with all this that went on, I have no idea what to do next!! Is there a guide after she arrives? She is 17 and do I have to apply for something to get her green card or what?? Help help help. I know i need that before i can apply for her social. Can someone direct me.

9/06/05 I-129F sent to Nebraska

01/27/06 Received VISA!!

01/28/06 Flew home to MSP!! (POE)

(To see details go to Our Story)

4/24/06 Mailed AOS package to Chicago

5/4/06 EAD Check Cashed

5/9/06 AOS Check Cashed!!!

6/30/06 Work Permit should have been here but mailman sent it back on accident.

9/07/06 InfoPass appointment to expedite new Work Permit and Fingerprints.

09/09/06 Fingerprints

10/01/06 EAD arrives

12/6/06 AOS Interview!! Done for 2 years.

10/22/08 Received I-751

10/24/08 Cashed check

10/29/08 Received NOA1

06/01/09 Permanent Green Card received and conditions Removed

WE ARE DONE!

I received an email about 8 days after I sent the original choice of agent email. Their response stated that they could not process the request because it was not from petitioner/applicant/legal representative. It had been sent from their father's email which NVC had on file as the kids did not have an email address.

I called NVC twice and the first time they said it needed to come from my email even though they had their father's email on file. The second time they said it didn't matter what email it came from just that it had to have the form.

By the time I received the email the paper form had arrived in the mail so I scanned and attached it and sent the email from my email address and it was accepted.

FINALLY GUYs....we have our step-daughter here. We had a final interview on February 15th in which I and her father attended. They questioned me more than anyone else and they finally approved her. We ended up getting medical records proving her father was her father versus doing DNA. They were happy with that. So she arrived on Friday with her father. We had some drama while we were in Jamaica and my brother in law was murdered in front of us at a party. Shot 5 times over a girl! The girl arranged his murder. Its been real difficult, but we are all finally back here.

Anyway, guys help me with all this that went on, I have no idea what to do next!! Is there a guide after she arrives? She is 17 and do I have to apply for something to get her green card or what?? Help help help. I know i need that before i can apply for her social. Can someone direct me.

Congrats on finally getting your stepdaughter here.

I can't imagine the trauma your family went through while in Jamaica. I'm sorry again for yet another loss in your family. Was your stepdaughter also at the party?

Her greencard should arrive in the mail about a month after her arrival. Her SSN could also come in the mail if you checked that you wanted an SSN on one of the forms that you filled out for the interview. But even then sometimes they don't send it and she may have to go to the SS office to get her number. I believe new applicants have to go in person to the MPLS office. I would call them to make sure that's where she needs to go (assuming it doesn't arrive in the mail).

Minneapolis Office

1811 Chicago Ave

Minneapolis, Minnesota,55404

Phone: 1-800-772-1213 | 1-800-325-0778 (Sorry I could only find an 800 number)

SSA gov site on getting SS card

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

Will she be attending high school here or did she already graduate?

Congrats again on finally getting her here. I'm sure the moment is a little bittersweet after all you have been through but this is a big accomplishment and you finally did it!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

WOW so much drama! It is great that you have your stepdaughter here finally.

Did you pay that new fee to receive the green card? If so, I think it will come automatically... but I haven't been keeping up with this new process, so I will be paying attention to what your and others' experiences are with that.

And there is a box to check on the DS-230 form to receive a SS card automatically (Question 43). Was that checked?

My husband received both automatically, so if you did those two things above I think all you have to do is wait.... hopefully someone who has gone through this more recently will weigh in. [Edited: YES, like beejay!]

I received an email about 8 days after I sent the original choice of agent email. Their response stated that they could not process the request because it was not from petitioner/applicant/legal representative. It had been sent from their father's email which NVC had on file as the kids did not have an email address.

I called NVC twice and the first time they said it needed to come from my email even though they had their father's email on file. The second time they said it didn't matter what email it came from just that it had to have the form.

By the time I received the email the paper form had arrived in the mail so I scanned and attached it and sent the email from my email address and it was accepted.

THANKS! It has been 9 days and I have heard nothing yet... probably I will just send the form but I wanted to test this to know for sure that it doesn't work for child immigration cases.

Edited by SerenityNOW

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Timeline

Did you pay her green card fee yet? The new fee that went into effect on February 1? If you have then you shoudl get green card in the mail. Then she would need Social card and all that beejay stated. Then you are basically finished until she wants to apply for citizenship.

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

KIDS' CASES

NVC

US Embassy Lagos

5spxll0m6aa.png

Timeline

Boys' DNA tests are on April 15!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

KIDS' CASES

NVC

US Embassy Lagos

5spxll0m6aa.png

NVC finally received my case on 3/29. It took two weeks from noa2. I guess it will be another two week wait for the invoice number, and then I can start the nvc game.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.