Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

SSN - I still have my old Au Pair social security card

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I think I have asked this question before but I am just concerned about it:

many years ago I used to be an Au Pair in the US on a J1-visa and I did get a social security card then.

I was told that once you have a SSN you will always have it for the rest of your life and it will never expire.

Now I have heard that SSN can be inactivated or something like that. So is it possible that even though I have this old SSN I might have to go to the SS-office and have it reactivated?

Also I compared my SSC with the one of my fiance and I found this difference:

unlike my fince's SSC my SSC has the following words written on it right above my number:

"valid for work only with INS authorization"

what does that mean? does this mean it is some kind of a limited SSN?

we want to get married asap after my arrival in the US, we really would like to get married in the first week after my arrival. I know that our state requires a SSN to issue the marriage certificate.

So my question is: can i use this old Au-Pair-SSN to get the marriage license or do i have to go to the social security office first?

I am planning to keep my maiden name for now after we are married to make everything easier. I would like to change my name to my future husbands name a few years after the marriage. Is that possible or is it too late then?

Thank you all so much

Summer 1998 ... beginning of our love

Fall 1998 .......... beginning of our long distance relationship


03/2006 I-129F filed

07/2006 I-129F approved

10/2006 visa received


11/2006 AOS filed

02/2007 conditional Green Card in mail

Removal of Conditons

12/2008 I-751 filed

05/2009 Green Card in mail

Thank you VisaJourney

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...