Rebecca W.

Medical exam: Would this consitute denial?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

We've got all our important paperwork on file now, just waiting for the Embassy in Tokyo to book my husband an interview. :thumbs:

He'll be going for a medical exam at an approved facility within a month. Recently, he had a health check at work and found out he has slightly high blood pressure, and hyperuricemia, and slight problems with his optic nerves. The doctor told him he has a 90% of developing gout in his life. He's worried that this is grounds for denial, but I think his condition is not serious and can be managed with medicine and lifestyle changes. I think the government is looking for communicable disease like AIDS or hepatitis.

Is there some list out there of diseases that qualify for denial so we can put our minds to rest?

1-18-2012 - I-130 Sent (from Japan to Chicago Lockbox)

1-22-2012 - I-130 Received in Chicago

2-3-2012 - Received NOA1 in Japan

2-7-2012- I-130 Approved! (so fast!!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

He will need to bring the medical information with him to the appointment as well as a letter from the doctor. They will check blood pressure during the exam, so having his doctors information and papers will help greatly.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

He will need to bring the medical information with him to the appointment as well as a letter from the doctor. They will check blood pressure during the exam, so having his doctors information and papers will help greatly.

Great, I'll tell him to bring those papers to his medical appt. But, surely high blood pressure isn't grounds for denial?

Yes they are mainly checking for communicable diseases and making sure they are taken care of. Some of the things they find are so they can be taken care after the immigrant is in the USA. Some like TB, they want treated before entry. They also check for vaccination history, and mental health state. If a person isn't mentally stable, I guess the assumption is they may not be able to make a competent decision to move the the USA. There is a whole list of vaccines you're supposed to have before he can adjust status in the USA. Some vaccines need boosters, so its good to at least get the first in a series before arrival, plus make sure he has proper documentation of the ones he has had. The medical issues that were recently found with him are nothing to exclude him. Although he may want to start taking something for the high blood pressure.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Yes they are mainly checking for communicable diseases and making sure they are taken care of. Some of the things they find are so they can be taken care after the immigrant is in the USA. Some like TB, they want treated before entry. They also check for vaccination history, and mental health state. If a person isn't mentally stable, I guess the assumption is they may not be able to make a competent decision to move the the USA. There is a whole list of vaccines you're supposed to have before he can adjust status in the USA. Some vaccines need boosters, so its good to at least get the first in a series before arrival, plus make sure he has proper documentation of the ones he has had. The medical issues that were recently found with him are nothing to exclude him. Although he may want to start taking something for the high blood pressure.

Thanks so much! What kind of mental health check do they do, just ask some questions? He hasn't been formally diagnosed with any mental health issue, but he's worried he might have depression.

Timeline

Great, I'll tell him to bring those papers to his medical appt. But, surely high blood pressure isn't grounds for denial?

Its grounds to pause the medical results and to be told to go see your personal doctor to get checked out before they release the immigration medical. But having all his papers already from his personal doctor will stop that from happening.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

Thanks so much! What kind of mental health check do they do, just ask some questions? He hasn't been formally diagnosed with any mental health issue, but he's worried he might have depression.

Questions asked are: Have you ever been or think you are depressed? Have you ever been on depression medication? Have you ever tried or wanted to commit suicide? Do you often think of dying? etc. Basic things. Answer the questions truthfully. If yes to any the doctor can choose to stop the medical and have you sent to a therapist to see what kind of danger you could be to yourself or others, but the doctor can also deem it not strong enough evidence and let you pass that portion of the medical as well.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

gout is super common in pacific island asian people. why? don't know.

gout is not a big deal. lots of people have it and it's not a big deal. as long as he has no major diseases he is fine.

USCIS JOURNEY

12-08-09 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12-11-09 - Notice of Action (NOA1)

02-25-10 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2) ~CA service center~

03-23-10 - PCC Applied - GET 04/01

Your I-130 was approved in 76 days from your NOA1 date

NVC JOURNEY

03-03-10 - NVC Case Number Assigned

03-05-10 - Email give

03-09-10 - AOS bill; Agent Email Get

03-10-10 - Paid AOS Bill; Email/Mail DS-3032

03-12-10 - AOS Bill Status: PAID

03-15-10 - IV Bill Email Get; Pay IV Bill

03-16-10 - IV Bill Status: PAID; AOS @ NVC

04-07-10 - IV Pack @ NVC

04-12-10 - IV Pack Enters AVR

04-20-10 - Log-in Fail

04-21-10 - Case Complete

04-30-10 - Interview Date Assigned

05-07-10 - NVC Forwards Case to Embassy, Tokyo

Your case was complete in 50 days at NVC

EMBASSY JOURNEY

04-16-10 - Medical Exam ($400) - PASSED

05-10-10 - Embassy Receives Case from NVC

06-28-10 - INTERVIEW - Moved

06-21-10 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED!

06-22-10 - Visa Received

Your interview took 192 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

USA JOURNEY

07-05-10 - US Entry

07-26-10 - Request SSC @ SS office

07-28-10 - Welcome Letter (2nd on 8/9)

08-02-10 - SSC GET

08-12-10 - Green Card GET -38 days

04-05-2012 - File I-751: APPROVED 10/17

nihonamerica.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.