Janie2

Police certificate.

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm running to a little bit of a problem, I knew I needed a police certificate, and my interview is on the 24th of this month. Now is this the same a as a criminal record check? I called my local police office and I told her what I needed and for what purposes, and she indicated that I can get it there.. yet when I look it up online, it states that it can only be done at RCMP and can take up to 10 weeks. Is this for real? Or is the lady at the police office right? I don't wanna get to my interview and not have it...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went down to the local police station headquarters in Ottawa ( the one by the natural museum ) and picked up my police cert in about 40 mins. Cost aprox 40$. It should say that the nation wide search was done on your background check. The reason mine took about 40 mins was because there was a fairly long line that day of people getting police checks done.

They had me fill out a green form not the one for watching children. Put it in a big machine and printed it out and stamped it with the embossed police seal.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Hey Janie,

The only way that you really need a police check from the RCMP is if you were previously arrested or convicted of a crime in Canada. Otherwise, you can just go to the local police station and let them know what you need. I have also posted information below. Hope this helps. I printed off this information and took it to Metro Headquaters at 40 College Street in Toronto. Mine took 7 business days and was $25.00

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3531.html

Inside Canada: Applicants who are physically present in Canada should contact their local police service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) office regarding criminal record check procedures. Applicants may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicant’s name and date of birth. Applicants should ensure that the search includes all names that they have previously used, including maiden names, prior married names, or names used before Canadian naturalization.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

I live in Toronto, and after consulting with my Immigration lawyers (I have one in Canada and one in the US but both US Bar Certified) I was told that the only acceptable criminal check for US Immigration purposes (and regardless of if you were previously arrested and/or convicted of a crime - because then it would be highly doubtful that you would get permitted entry to the US anyways) is a fingerprint based CPIC check. Which even if you ask your local police force, they will direct you to the RCMP for that. That being said I'm sure since you are in Ottawa that it would be easier as RCMP Headquarters (who does the check) is located there.

I had mine done through 'Commissionaires', paid $82.00 total (which included the cost the RCMP charges as well as a service charge for that company to provide the service) and had my results mailed back in a couple of days.

Please note that regardless of what anyone says, a name/D.O.B check is NOT apparently enough for US Immigration services. (according to my lawyers that is)

Hope this helps! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

I live in Toronto, and after consulting with my Immigration lawyers (I have one in Canada and one in the US but both US Bar Certified) I was told that the only acceptable criminal check for US Immigration purposes (and regardless of if you were previously arrested and/or convicted of a crime - because then it would be highly doubtful that you would get permitted entry to the US anyways) is a fingerprint based CPIC check. Which even if you ask your local police force, they will direct you to the RCMP for that. That being said I'm sure since you are in Ottawa that it would be easier as RCMP Headquarters (who does the check) is located there.

I had mine done through 'Commissionaires', paid $82.00 total (which included the cost the RCMP charges as well as a service charge for that company to provide the service) and had my results mailed back in a couple of days.

Please note that regardless of what anyone says, a name/D.O.B check is NOT apparently enough for US Immigration services. (according to my lawyers that is)

Hope this helps! :)

This is incorrect. I did my police check with the local OPP station in Missisauga; they did not search for fingerprints, just name and DOB and Montreal accepted it at my interview. You do not have to get your check done with the RCMP unless they are the only police force in your area.

There IS a difference between the type of check one requests if you're a criminal. For non criminal,s having your name and DOB searched is sufficient, fingerprints are unnecessary. It is common for immigration lawyers to be misinformed or behind the times on these details- just ask the many Canadian VJers here who have regretted spending their money on them only to be mislead and help up in the process because of it.

I paid $45 for my check and it only took 5 minutes. Much better than paying the commissionaires $80.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Your immigration lawyer is wrong. I had mine done at a local police station in Quebec last year and they never took my fingerprints. It was satisfactory to the US consulate in Montreal. Unless you have a criminal record or someone with your name has one, a basic name based police check is fine.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

After reading what others had posted I called both my lawyers to confer.

I should clarify: They said to me that the reason I was instructed to have the fingerprint based CPIC check is because I am applying for an immigrant visa - IR1 as opposed to a K Visa. Apparently reason is that the K Visa is non-immigrant and when a K visa holder does their Adjustment of Status application at a later date (from within the US), that process will require a biometrics appointment (including fingerprint based criminal checks that the US government performs, which will also check your background in your home country - if applicable).

Sorry for the confusion :)

Thank you very much for your fast responses!! I went to my local OPP station and she gave me a Criminal Record Search Certificate, and told me that is what I need, has my DOB name and address and the seal at the bottom right corner. I was a little worried, thank god for y'all (Trying to fit in with my Texas friends lol)

I also paid 25$ for it, and got it in about 3 days.

Timeline

After reading what others had posted I called both my lawyers to confer.

I should clarify: They said to me that the reason I was instructed to have the fingerprint based CPIC check is because I am applying for an immigrant visa - IR1 as opposed to a K Visa. Apparently reason is that the K Visa is non-immigrant and when a K visa holder does their Adjustment of Status application at a later date (from within the US), that process will require a biometrics appointment (including fingerprint based criminal checks that the US government performs, which will also check your background in your home country - if applicable).

Sorry for the confusion :)

This is still incorrect. I have a IR1 Visa. I obtained my police certificate from the local police station in Calgary. No RCMP, no fingerprints, no problem in Montreal.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

I got mine at the local RCMP station. The only thing I would watch for is if you've been married before, make sure that your maiden name is on the form to show that they searched it. After my interview, I had to get a new police check reflecting my maiden name. My visa was approved on Friday and I'm heading to AZ on Monday!! Woo hoo.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.