docgee

Address Change Request/General FAQ

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

It has been almost two years since receiving the temoporary permanent resident card for my wife and we are preparing our I-751 forms and documents in order to obtain removal of temporary permanent resident status and be on our way to getting a permanent green card. I've used a lawyer up till now and have decided to forgo the almost $2000 fee for the I-751 form and just do it myself... anyone think that's a good idea?

Also, while reviewing the documents and materials needed for this process I came across the Address Change Request form...We initially filed for this temporary green card while at a previous address and have since moved but never knew I had to file an address change request as well (Our lawyer was kind enough to not let us know anything unless we contacted them...go figure!) It stated that this had to be submitted within a few weeks of changing residence...Is it too late to file this now? Should I do this first before submitting the I-751?

With regards to the I-751, when its says it has to be submitted within 90 days of the two year anniversary...that means I should get ready to send it right after the date that is three months early to the anniversary and not any earlier right?

When gathering documents how many months prior evidence should you provide as supporting documents of your marriage and intertwined life?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This forum has been very helpful so far!

It's not too difficult to do the I-751 by yourself if you read a bit in the forum (if you are the typical case without arrests or other unusual circumstances). It took me maybe a total of 3 hours to copy all my docs, do a cover letter and send everything away to USCIS.

You're right about the timing above - 3 months before expiration. The evidence needs to span the whole 2 years of your marriage since you got the GC - so for example, when you send bank statements, you don't have to include every single month, but make sure you have one for every 4-5 months and not just the last month. They want to see you were together the entire time, so show them that. Same with the other documents - if you had several lease agreements, don't just send the last one - show you always lived together. If you're sending pictures - send pictures from different months & different places. Many of the monthly threads have lists of what people sent and there are some recent posts that talk specifically about that, so just spend a couple of hours reading here and you will be ready to work on your package.

About the change of address, my common sense tells me late is better than never, my reasoning being that if you send the form with an address different from the one they have on file for you, it might be a red flag. I would defer to other VJ-ers on how important that is and what is your best course, but I would report the address change if I were you.

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply. Any chance you could list what documents and how many of each you included as evidence/support of your marriage on this forum. Looks like it has worked for you and so following by example might be easier. Did you also include a photocopy of your passport? Would copies of credit cards in both mine and my wife's name be considered as evidence? Probably take your advice and do the address change before hand so as it negate any complications.

Thanks for the quick reply. Any chance you could list what documents and how many of each you included as evidence/support of your marriage on this forum. Looks like it has worked for you and so following by example might be easier. Did you also include a photocopy of your passport? Would copies of credit cards in both mine and my wife's name be considered as evidence? Probably take your advice and do the address change before hand so as it negate any complications.

I can give you my list later, but what would be even more useful to you is to read as many threads as you can in this forum (start with http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/220440-i-751-evidence/ and http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/310-general-faqs-for-removing-conditions/ and then read some of the threads on the first-second pages). That way you would see what everyone is sending, not just my package and would get more ideas about what to send, because everyone's situation and documents are unique to some extent and so would be yours. Also read the instructions for form I-751 on the USCIS website - they contain a basic but crucial list of what kinds of things to include.

I did include a copy of my foreign passport and ID card to show that I changed my name in my native country after getting married in the US (that was still being processed during AOS). Copies of joint credit cards (even from a store like JC Penney) are GOOD evidence but also throw in some statements. Anything financial with both names on it is worth throwing in, as well as anything that shows you live, travel or act together.

02/14/2010 Married

05/27/2012 GC expires

Found it:

Below is what we sent, it might give you a few more ideas. We didn't have any of the following that would have also been good to send: 401(k), health insurance or life insurance; pay stubs showing deductions made as "Married" status; medical or any other records listing each other as emergency contacts, etc.

• Joint property ownership:
    • Quit Claim Deed and Mortgage for real estate showing joint ownership and joint liability
    • Vehicle registration showing joint ownership

[*]Financial records:

• Joint checking account statements (May 2010 to present)
    • Joint credit card statements (August 2010 to present)
    • Copies of joint credits cards with same account number – Bank of the West, Best Buy, Lowes
    • 2010 joint federal tax return transcript and Adjusted Refund (we were not married yet in 2009 and have not filed 2011 but you need to send all tax returns filed during last 2 years or you will get an RFE)
    • Joint insurance policies:

• State Farm Renters Policy, 4/11/2010-4/11/2011, listing both as policy holders
  • Farm Bureau Property Insurance Policy, 8/18/2010-8/18/2011, listing both as policy holders
  • State Farm Homeowners Policy, 1/15/2011-1/15/2012, listing both as policy holders
  • State Farm Homeowners Policy, 1/15/2012-1/15/2013, listing both as policy holders
  • State Farm Auto Policy for Car 1, both spouses listed as drivers
  • State Farm Auto Policy for Car 2, both spouses listed as drivers

• Joint utility bill

[*]Affidavits:

• from mother of spouse
  • from sister of spouse

[*]Other evidence of bona fide relationship:

• Expired Iowa Driver's Licenses showing joint residence prior to 9/1/2010
  • Current Iowa Driver's Licenses showing joint residence
  • ID Card and Passport issued by the Republic of Bulgaria, showing registration of our marriage and legal change of name before Bulgarian authorities
  • Travel confirmation for our trip to Bulgaria in March-April 2011, showing joint itinerary
  • Boarding pass from the trip to Bulgaria in March-April 2011
  • Flight confirmation for my mother, purchased by US hubby
  • Letter from Destri Andorf, dba D&ORFS Photography, dated 12/3/2011, giving us permission to make prints of our family photo session images + cover image of photo session CD-ROM <- she is the best photographer we've met in Iowa :)
  • Photographs from the last two years of Petitioners' marriage.

Edited by DaniG

02/14/2010 Married

05/27/2012 GC expires

By the way, the above list is not necessarily the best evidence out there - it's just what I thought would be best to send given my circumstances. I am still in the beginning stages of the process, so it's possible for me to get a request for additional evidence from USCIS.

02/14/2010 Married

05/27/2012 GC expires

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thank you for all your help. Looking through your list as I write this message. I did take your advice and looked through the forums for some more information. ONe question for you, with regards to the cover letter for the I-751 form, should you sign it as the sponsor or as the actual applicant (in this case my wife) or should both of us sign it?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

i got a question about change of addy.

We live with my rents cuse i am poor. though now hubby has a JOB (hurray! :devil: )

so we will be moving in an apartment in about 2 months once probation ends.

however, i am not changing my permanent address, since this will not be a forever move. does hubby have to submit an address change form if he is also not changing permanent address?

if the lease is in his name, does he have to submit the form? i am confused.

help!

Thank you for all your help. Looking through your list as I write this message. I did take your advice and looked through the forums for some more information. ONe question for you, with regards to the cover letter for the I-751 form, should you sign it as the sponsor or as the actual applicant (in this case my wife) or should both of us sign it?

i signed the form. hubby only signed I-751 form (i am us citizen)

USCIS JOURNEY

12-08-09 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12-11-09 - Notice of Action (NOA1)

02-25-10 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2) ~CA service center~

03-23-10 - PCC Applied - GET 04/01

Your I-130 was approved in 76 days from your NOA1 date

NVC JOURNEY

03-03-10 - NVC Case Number Assigned

03-05-10 - Email give

03-09-10 - AOS bill; Agent Email Get

03-10-10 - Paid AOS Bill; Email/Mail DS-3032

03-12-10 - AOS Bill Status: PAID

03-15-10 - IV Bill Email Get; Pay IV Bill

03-16-10 - IV Bill Status: PAID; AOS @ NVC

04-07-10 - IV Pack @ NVC

04-12-10 - IV Pack Enters AVR

04-20-10 - Log-in Fail

04-21-10 - Case Complete

04-30-10 - Interview Date Assigned

05-07-10 - NVC Forwards Case to Embassy, Tokyo

Your case was complete in 50 days at NVC

EMBASSY JOURNEY

04-16-10 - Medical Exam ($400) - PASSED

05-10-10 - Embassy Receives Case from NVC

06-28-10 - INTERVIEW - Moved

06-21-10 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED!

06-22-10 - Visa Received

Your interview took 192 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

USA JOURNEY

07-05-10 - US Entry

07-26-10 - Request SSC @ SS office

07-28-10 - Welcome Letter (2nd on 8/9)

08-02-10 - SSC GET

08-12-10 - Green Card GET -38 days

04-05-2012 - File I-751: APPROVED 10/17

nihonamerica.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.