Justin&Alicya

I-864 Tax Transcripts

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi everybody,

My I-130 was recently approved, and now I'm preparing my I-864 as the petitioner, and I have a question about the required most recent

tax return. I did work for a few months in 2011, but I haven't done my taxes yet. I'm living in Poland so I would need to e file my

taxes, but I don't have the required bank account in the US. Right now my income is $0.00 so my brother will be the co-sponsor. Also,

other than the few months I worked in 2011, I didn't work in USA at all for about 4 years because I was living abroad. So...

My question is this:

Will I need to file for a tax return and get the tax transcript

from the IRS to send with the I-864, even though my current

income is $0.00?

I'm curious about this because I read that the most recent year tax return is REQUIRED, but I don't see why they would want me to prove

that I DID work. My brother will be the only source of income until we get there and find work.

Any advice or comments will be much appreciated :yes:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi everybody,

My I-130 was recently approved, and now I'm preparing my I-864 as the petitioner, and I have a question about the required most recent

tax return. I did work for a few months in 2011, but I haven't done my taxes yet. I'm living in Poland so I would need to e file my

taxes, but I don't have the required bank account in the US. Right now my income is $0.00 so my brother will be the co-sponsor. Also,

other than the few months I worked in 2011, I didn't work in USA at all for about 4 years because I was living abroad. So...

My question is this:

Will I need to file for a tax return and get the tax transcript

from the IRS to send with the I-864, even though my current

income is $0.00?

I'm curious about this because I read that the most recent year tax return is REQUIRED, but I don't see why they would want me to prove

that I DID work. My brother will be the only source of income until we get there and find work.

Any advice or comments will be much appreciated :yes:

You don't need a bank account to file a tax return. Yes, you'll need to file the return if you had income enough in 2011 to require you to file a return. Otherwise, you can write in the section that your income was below the threshold, so you were not required to file a return. Do that for any year it it applicable. Tax returns are not about proving you DID work. They simply require the historical information FROM the three tax returns, as applicable.

Working abroad does not exempt you from filing tax returns. You file, even if there is no tax due on the foreign income. Have you been working abroad as well as living abroad? If so, you've got some back tax returns to file.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I have a question, too -- I sent my atty tax transcripts from 2008 - 2011, but I started a new job this past Nov 2011, a much higher paying job.... should I also send her pay stubs? If so, dated how far back?

USCIS - CSC/LOCAL OFFICE DC

12/5/11: NOA1

4/25/12: Case Transferred to Local Office (DC) for "Additional Processing"

4/27/12: Case Received at Local Office

5/15/12: RFE (daughter's birth cert)

5/15/12: RFE Evidence Sent (never received)

8/10/12: Infopass, evidence handed to officer adjudicating case

8/13/12: NOA2

NVC

8/20/12: Case Received

8/31/12: Case #/IIN Received

8/31/12: DS3032 Sent

9/11/12: ERROR MESSAGE! biggrin.png

9/13/12: AOS and IV bill INVOICED, Made AOS and IV bill payments, Mailed AOS and IV paperwork via USPS Priority Mail

9/14/12: AOS/IV marked as PAID

9/17/12: AOS delivered

9/20/12: IV delivered

9/25/12: AOS reviewed/accepted

9/26/12: IV reviewed/accepted

9/26/12: CASE COMPLETE11/27/12: Received Interview Date

01/11/13: Interview in San Salvador

03/15/13: 2nd Interview in SNS due to delayed medical report

I-601

3/21/13: Mailed to lockbox

3/22/13: Received at lockbox

9/25/13: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

I have a question, too -- I sent my atty tax transcripts from 2008 - 2011, but I started a new job this past Nov 2011, a much higher paying job.... should I also send her pay stubs? If so, dated how far back?

Tax returns are for one section of the affidavit. A current pay stub would be for the current income section of the tax return. Employed folks' "current income" is usually different from their most recent tax return, line 22. Each question on the affidavit gets its own accurate answer.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Thanks for the reply.

you can write in the section that your income was below the threshold, so you were not required to file a return.

My income was definitely below the threshold. What section should I write that in? On a separate sheet of paper, or on the actual AOS form?

Do that for any year it it applicable. Tax returns are not about proving you DID work. They simply require the historical information FROM the three tax returns, as applicable.

Is it for the last 3 tax returns, or the last 3 years?

Working abroad does not exempt you from filing tax returns. You file, even if there is no tax due on the foreign income. Have you been working abroad as well as living abroad? If so, you've got some back tax returns to file.

I was living here in Poland working in my family's business. I never filed any tax returns here, I would have to check with my father to see if he filed them for me. Do I need to file for that in this situation?

Timeline

Thanks for the reply.

My income was definitely below the threshold. What section should I write that in? On a separate sheet of paper, or on the actual AOS form?

Is it for the last 3 tax returns, or the last 3 years?

I was living here in Poland working in my family's business. I never filed any tax returns here, I would have to check with my father to see if he filed them for me. Do I need to file for that in this situation?

Look at the I-864 where it asks for information from three tax returns. Write it there.

For 2009, 2010 and 2011.

If you had income, YOU are required to file a US tax return. However, there would be no tax due on income under 90 some thousand USD each year.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.