Amanda and Josh

NCLEX and nursing in Ohio

13 posts in this topic

I am an Australian RN/Midwife who is moving to Ohio. I am not planning on looking for work for at least a year as I am having a baby but want to get my registration sorted out. First question has anybody here gotten their RN in Ohio? Also RN's who have sat the NCLEX (any state) how hard is it? how long did you study for? what study resources are best? I plan on studying for it while I am waiting for the baby and then sitting it once baby is here. Thanks

I am an Australian RN/Midwife who is moving to Ohio. I am not planning on looking for work for at least a year as I am having a baby but want to get my registration sorted out. First question has anybody here gotten their RN in Ohio? Also RN's who have sat the NCLEX (any state) how hard is it? how long did you study for? what study resources are best? I plan on studying for it while I am waiting for the baby and then sitting it once baby is here. Thanks

If you've been a practicing nurse for a while, the NCLEX shouldn't be terribly hard. (Finding a job on the other hand...) You might try allnurses.com for better info on studying and passing the NCLEX. Personally, I think you should have plenty of time to study. How or what you study is up to you. You can drop a couple thousand on books and Kaplan courses. I spent about $50 at a used bookstore (anything after 2009 is current), probably did...a lot of questions before testing.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had written down a lot, but my puter is having issues,lol

http://www.pearsonvue.com/nclex/ is a great place to find out about the Actual exam. Explains it very well on how its graded, what happens if you run out of time, etc etc! As well the Online Tutorial is the exact same as when you go and write! So saves you time and ur not suprised on the question types

I just did the kaplan in class study sessions. It comes with a super book (that u can't buy in stores) but u can buy on Ebay usually. Its a purple cover, that shows a gal from the shoulders down with a stethoscope hanging around her shoulders. in 2009 it was the 12th edition. This book covers everything from A-Z. Usually around $15 on Ebay. Its much different than the kaplan study/test guides u see at the book store, as there are no questions in it--just full of content. Kaplan offers an online class which gives u the book and all the online stuff. AND they offer just the question bank. Part of kaplans "process" is the "decison tree" The steps 1 should take to come to the correct answer. Did I use it, yes/no! I highly recommend the book if you can find it on EBay--and not going to take the actual Class. I bought 1 other Nclex study book from Saunders. Just did a lot of questions!! 1 prof told us that 1 should do 5000 questions before they write! I don't think I did that many!

Is it hard? Sure it is, but it isn't impossible. I have know a lot of super RN fail and a lot of morons pass,lol I got lucky and finished in 45 min with the min 75 questions. KNown much smarter people to take a lot longer. Luck of the draw. If you goto the NCLEX site on allnurses.com, there is a very long thread on how you can see if u passed of failed soon after writing the exam. Best of luck

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Every ones questions are different for the most part, I got a lot of delegating questions, infection control. That was back in 2009 and the NCLEX went over a change in 2010 I believe (It changes every 3-5 yrs) Believe they added listening (breathe sounds) to it now,among other things

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

First of all visit the Ohio board of nursing to know the requirements for applying for the license.

It varies from State and from the country where you graduated and you will need to gather the documentation needed.

Second, besides the suggestions above, you can also visit the local library, where I live they had several of the prep books so you can borrow instead of buying them. It is particularly good for obtaining practicing tests.

Finally, the NCLEX is normally different among whom take it cause it is not a fix test. For example, if you respond a question incorrectly, the test gives you more questions of the same subject to identify if it is a weakness or just a simple error.

The ones that answered the 75 and passed likely answered all correctly. You can technically pass or fail with any number of answered questions above 75. It all depends if you made up for errors or not.

"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."

my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started

08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted

09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued

09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F

09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued

01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued

02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC

03/02/2009 - Passed Medical

03/23/2009 - Interview

05/13/2009 - Arrived in US

06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN

06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done

06/05/2009 - Received SSN

06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style

06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.

07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.

07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS

07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS

07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued

08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office

09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards

11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.

11/27/2009 - Received the GC

10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC

10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC

10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)

11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification

12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics

I applied in Vermont. I got my eligibility in 3 months, but I had to get a credentials evaluation from CGFNS prior to that. Took around a month. You might already know this, but requirements vary by state. Here's a link to OH BRN website: http://www.nursing.ohio.gov/

How hard is it? I felt like I failed, seriously. But many people say that's just how it's supposed to be. The computer gives you questions based on whether you got the previous questions wrong or right. I finished at 75 items, by the way. Had LOTS of select all that apply questions - probably the biggest reason why I felt like I failed.

How long did I study? Pretty long, around 5 months. One big factor for the long study time is the fact that I was educated in the Philippines. LOL

What study resources did I use? I enrolled in a Kaplan course and read Saunders. I answered tons of questions before my exam date, mainly from Saunders and Lippincott. Many nurses on allnurses.com recommend LaCharity for prioritization/delegation and NCLEX 3500/4000.

By the way, NCLEX is not all about knowing content. It has a lot to do with test-taking skills as well.

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

Timeline

My sisters are RN's in Canada, and they have had friends write the NCLEX and they stated it was much different than what they write in Canada. Again depending on who you talk to, Nclex is easier/harder! Its like anything else, your chance of success is a lot greater if you prepare yourself.

The harder style questions are usually a good sign ur passing! As When you get a question wrong, they make it a bit easier, get it wrong, easier again! Those put in the right order can be very difficult as you place 1 in the incorrect spot, the whole question is wrong. Its all covered in that link I posted.

Check out Ebay Auction item # Item number: 190661904490 It has that Kaplan book I was talking about (top left in the picture)

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I will find the test hard for sure because I am actually a Midwife. I did my RN many moons ago and then went straight to midwifery so have never practiced as an RN (apart from 3 yrs as a mental health nurse)! I have got all the information I need and spoken to the Ohio board I just find it all so confusing. Will be doing my credintalling part before I leave and then it will be study study study lol

How hard is it? I felt like I failed, seriously. But many people say that's just how it's supposed to be. The computer gives you questions based on whether you got the previous questions wrong or right. I finished at 75 items, by the way. Had LOTS of select all that apply questions - probably the biggest reason why I felt like I failed.

I tested last May and the majority of my questions were multiple answer, as well. I also passed at 75 questions - in twenty minutes. Spent two days curled up in a ball, crying, because I was convinced that there was no way that I could have passed.

Too bad real nursing isn't like the NCLEX. :(

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Is CGFNS no longer required for foreign nurses?

03/05/12 (Day 01) Sent package

03/08/12 (Day 03) Package received

03/16/12 (Day 11) Bio Appt recieved

03/17/12 (Day 12) NOA received

03/19/12 (Day 14) Early Bio walk in

03/26/12 (Day 21) RFE notification

03/28/12 (Day 23) RFE returned

04/09/12 (Day 36) Original Bio date

04/20/12 (Day 47) Interview Appt recieved

05/03/12 (Day 60) EAD Approved

05/08/12 (Day 65) 2nd Approval

05/09/12 (Day 66) EAD Mailed

05/10/12 (Day 67) USPS picked up card

05/11/12 (Day 68) EAD in hand

05/23/12 (Day 79) Interview

ticker.png

ticker.png

Is CGFNS no longer required for foreign nurses?

It depends on the state. Some states require a CGFNS certificate, most require a Credentials Evaluation, a few don't require anything fom CGFNS at all.

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

you need it for Ohio. It's the first part which is the only part that I understand easily lol. I am going to send it all in the week before I leave because you only have 12 months to get sorted from when the board recieves it.

Timeline

you need it for Ohio. It's the first part which is the only part that I understand easily lol. I am going to send it all in the week before I leave because you only have 12 months to get sorted from when the board recieves it.

Sent you a PM Amanda

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.