babonsi

Photobucket.com, virus nest??

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Romania
Timeline

Okay, at first I thought it was just a coincidence that the alert popped up while I was on photobucket.com ... I was uploading some pics on our Photobucket album the other day, when Norton started flashing "High Risk" virus warnings on my screen - it said it had found & blocked Trojan.Ducky.B. and Downloader :wacko: Fortunately, it repaired both of the instances on the spot and then, just to make sure there were no traces left, I temporarily disabled system restore and ran a full system scan.

I did a quick search on Trojan.Ducky.B. on the Symantec website and found that it's somehow related to a corrupted JPEG file :huh: That sort of made me wonder if it's possible for one of our own image files to be the culprit?? I couldn't see how that would be possible though ...

Anyway, I had totally forgotten about it till tonight, when my sister sent me the link to her own photobucket album ... So here I am, browsing through her pics, when Norton pops up again, flashing the obnoxious "High Risk" virus warning!! And big surprise, same Torjan.Ducky.B. and his faithful friend, the Downloader :angry: Both were repaired again, but ... do I see a trend here?

I know Photobucket is a free service and all, but com'on! Personally, I never had any trouble with their site, up until now. Now I'm even reluctant to give our album link to our friends & family, since I don't want us to be known as the "malicious infecters" lol

Has anyone else encountered this with their photobucket album? :unsure:

Miha & Steve

M & S

Naturalization timeline:

04-06-2009 N-400 sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

04-08-2009 N-400 delivered

04-14-2009 Check cashed

04-18-2009 NOA received (Priority Date: 4/08, Notice Date: 4/13)

04-22-2009 Biometrics notice received

05-08-2009 Biometrics appointment

05-26-2009 Interview letter received

07-07-2009 Interview appointment - APPROVED!

07-15-2009 Oath letter received

08-12-2009 Oath Ceremony @ Sacramento Memorial Auditorium

I am now a U.S. Citizen! - exactly 4 years after moving to the US

08-15-2009 Applied for U.S. Passport (regular service)

09-18-2009 Passport card received

09-19-2009 Passport book received

xx-xx-2009 Naturalization Certificate arrives back

Filed: Timeline

Any site such as photobucket (which is #######, IMO) is easy prey for people who want to upload viruses. It is very, very, very easy to encode a virus into a JPG. This is why some sites only allow .gif or .png uploads/avatars. This is also why I don't allow uploads on most of my sites.

I feel that if someone really needs to post/display images that often, they should just pay the $3/month for their own web hosting. Then they can have as many pics/web pages as they want and not have to worry about catching nasties from places like photobucket.

Of course, I AM a web snob.... lol

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Any site such as photobucket (which is #######, IMO) is easy prey for people who want to upload viruses. It is very, very, very easy to encode a virus into a JPG. This is why some sites only allow .gif or .png uploads/avatars. This is also why I don't allow uploads on most of my sites.

I feel that if someone really needs to post/display images that often, they should just pay the $3/month for their own web hosting. Then they can have as many pics/web pages as they want and not have to worry about catching nasties from places like photobucket.

Of course, I AM a web snob.... lol

Then what do you suggest, since PB is ####### (in your opinion)? Just curious. :)

Edited by KarenCee

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Well, like I said...I'm a web snob. Goes with the territory, I suppose. (Web designer)

Domain names are $9/year at GoDaddy. Last time I bought a domain name, they also offered free hosting with each domain name purchase (I have 5 such free hosting accounts that I'll never use - they put banner ads on any sites you build). If not, it's $3/month or so and no ads.

www.godaddy.com

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Really good info here.... thanks guys. I was considering using photobucket to share pics with David's family once he arrives... they all have modems so downloading pics is not an option.

I don't care anything about banners, and $9/yr is nothing compared to the cost of repair after virus infrection....

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I haven't had any problems when using Firefox plus my Antivir anti virus. Most of the time when I fix a customer or a friend's computer it's because they were still using Internet Explorer.

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

Are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I haven't had any problems when using Firefox plus my Antivir anti virus. Most of the time when I fix a customer or a friend's computer it's because they were still using Internet Explorer.

I'll agree with that. Internet Exploder is the anti-christ.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

tee hee :hehe:

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

tee hee :hehe:

That is funny as heck! :lol:

WEEEEEEEE!

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!