TheZilla

Visiting During I-129F Process

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

devilette,

Be careful. I don't know about the select states that you reference here, but I checked a state that I do know about and found that it incorrectly said marriage license applicants need to show SS cards as part of the ID requirements.

Many web sites show 'the usual' as though it was a requirement. To be certain, one needs to check the text of the law.

Yodrak

I can't imagine a SSN requirement for any state. If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected but please provide the name of one state which requires a SSN for marriage. I'm extremely curious.

i wont list them all, but here's a few:

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/alabama.htm

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/colorado.htm

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/oklahoma.htm

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicen...p/tennessee.htm

I will await your correction!

TheZilla,

There was no solid answer the last time you asked, and there is still no solid answer. 'Maybe' is a solid as it gets.

Yodrak

I've posted about this subject before, I apologize for posting again but I'm desperate for some solid answers.

We're trying to find out whether he can visit me here in America for the holidays while our I-129F is being processed.

devilette,

Be careful. I don't know about the select states that you reference here, but I checked a state that I do know about and found that it incorrectly said marriage license applicants need to show SS cards as part of the ID requirements.

Many web sites show 'the usual' as though it was a requirement. To be certain, one needs to check the text of the law.

Yodrak

I hear you Yodrak. I was making a point.

I do believe one should do their own research.

But here's one:

http://www.nashville.gov/cclerk/marriage.htm

Edited by devilette

Filed: Other Timeline

I can't imagine a SSN requirement for any state. If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected but please provide the name of one state which requires a SSN for marriage. I'm extremely curious.

Interesting, I read through all the links. All four states state you do NOT need to be a resident of that state to marry. None of the state requires US citizenship to marry either. TN says only need SSN if a US citizen. Bring passport for others. I suspect it's the case with all these states which may ask for a SSN. Only for US citizens. Foreigners coming here for a vacation and marrying will be able to marry without a SSN.

It's kind of interesting they are trying to ask for a SSN number to marry. As SSN is the closest ID we have to a national ID, it seems some of these states want to have a national database for marriage registration.

devilette,

Yodrak

But here's one:

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER A MUST

Pursuant to Tenn. Code Ann. 36-3-104(a) (1997), “ No county clerk nor deputy clerk shall issue a marriage license until the applicants make an application in writing, stating the names, ages, addresses and social security numbers of both the proposed male and female contracting parties and the names and addresses of the parents, guardian or next of kin of both parties.” The application must be sworn to by both parties. Id. The requirement of a social security number was added by legislative amendment, Acts 1997, ch. 551, 30, effective July 1, 1997. You must have proof of Social Security.

Valid passports with a current visa are acceptable substitutions for a social security number for non-American citizens visiting the United States.

Exactly as I thought. I do NOT stand corrected. It's only a requirement for US citizens. Non-US citizens should suffice with a passport with valid visa.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Interesting, I read through all the links. All four states state you do NOT need to be a resident of that state to marry. None of the state requires US citizenship to marry either. TN says only need SSN if a US citizen. Bring passport for others. I suspect it's the case with all these states which may ask for a SSN. Only for US citizens. Foreigners coming here for a vacation and marrying will be able to marry without a SSN.

It's kind of interesting they are trying to ask for a SSN number to marry. As SSN is the closest ID we have to a national ID, it seems some of these states want to have a national database for marriage registration.

devilette,

Yodrak

But here's one:

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER A MUST

Pursuant to Tenn. Code Ann. 36-3-104(a) (1997), “ No county clerk nor deputy clerk shall issue a marriage license until the applicants make an application in writing, stating the names, ages, addresses and social security numbers of both the proposed male and female contracting parties and the names and addresses of the parents, guardian or next of kin of both parties.” The application must be sworn to by both parties. Id. The requirement of a social security number was added by legislative amendment, Acts 1997, ch. 551, 30, effective July 1, 1997. You must have proof of Social Security.

Valid passports with a current visa are acceptable substitutions for a social security number for non-American citizens visiting the United States.

Exactly as I thought. I do NOT stand corrected. It's only a requirement for US citizens. Non-US citizens should suffice with a passport with valid visa.

You won! You beat me. And you beat that dead horse. Geez, is winning an argument that important???

It's been said over & over on here to do your own research to see what your state requires. I could care less! :huh:

Edited by devilette

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Certainly Colorado does not require a SSN, one of those mentioned.

Tennesse, well that looks direct against illegals. Amusingly they quote the reglations requring a SSN and then say a passport is OK without quoting where the regulations say that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

devilette,

Providing correct information, and correcting mis-information is important. One doesn't do anyone a favor by leading them astray with mis-information before telling them to do their own research.

Yodrak

You won! You beat me. And you beat that dead horse. Geez, is winning an argument that important???

It's been said over & over on here to do your own research to see what your state requires. I could care less!

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Other Timeline
devilette,

Providing correct information, and correcting mis-information is important. One doesn't do anyone a favor by leading them astray with mis-information before telling them to do their own research.

Yodrak

It's been said over & over on here to do your own research to see what your state requires. I could care less!

That has ALWAYS been my stance, to stop mis-information. When I read that SSN were required for marriage, I thought that's impossible. What about all the foreigners who come and vacation and get married in the US? They couldn't possibly have a SSN. Digging deeper reveals that my original assumptions were correct. Foreigners in fact do NOT need SSN to get married in the US, so long as they have their passport and a valid visa. These new legislations passed by various states seem to target marriages in the US by illegals who have no SSN or a valid visa in their passports.

I have been corrected by Yodrak in the past and I stood corrected. I never argue with the facts. I only argue vociferously against misleading information.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most States allow Illegals to obtain a Marriage License. The normal requirement is ID.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I should have read the links further & I didn't. I normally post links to facts.

I feel like anytime I post SirL is always disputing it. And I jumped the gun there, my bad. Bottom line, I just DO NOT care anymore...no one seems to look up for themselves they always post first. It gets tiresome. Then there's some who keep posting the sane Q til they get an answer they life. The search button is great one here. I wish people would use it.

The moral of the post: Everyone should do their own research. How many times can we say that!?!?!

Edited by devilette

I've posted about this subject before, I apologize for posting again but I'm desperate for some solid answers.

We're trying to find out whether he can visit me here in America for the holidays while our I-129F is being processed.

My fiance and I both have been trying to track down solid answers on this, he even called the U.S. embassy in London. They refused to give any straight answers, the whole sort of "Don't quote me on this" type thing.

They told him he is welcome to try, but that as soon as they swipe his passport, they will see he's the beneficiary of a pending I-129F and may refuse him entry even though his country part of the Visa Waiver Program [they said this even after he told them he'd be bringing proof of ties to England like a letter from employers, proof of obligations, return ticket, etc] . Apparently, on the fear that he and I will marry while he's here.

This is what confuses me, because as far as I can tell he'll need a social security number for us to get married anywhere, and if he doesn't have one, it's not possible ANYWAY. This kind of thing is starting to make me nuts because of how many of these restrictions and rules they have, with so little documentation or HELP for people.

Has anyone from the U.K. visited their fiance during the process? What happens?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to add that I did look through the forums, but found mainly people discussing visiting while going through the K-3, not the K-1, process.

Hello,

It is probably going to be denied even if you try the visa waiver while your case is pending. You can not visit the US while your case is being processed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My fiance just came to visit me a little over a month ago. He is also from the United Kingdom, and although I was incredibly worried when I was waiting for him at the airport, he said they didn't ask him anything. If they did, we were going to say he was visiting his girlfriend (it's an easy slip to say girlfriend on accident instead of fiance, so I wasn't very worried). I know how you're feeling. I would say, go for it if you want to see each other! Just make sure he brings some ties to his country to be safe!

May 2, 2006- Sent I-129F to Nebraska

May 5, 2006-NOA1

June 1, 2006-Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006-Received letter confirming transfer

June 15, 2006-Touch!

June 16, 2006-Touch!

June 17, 2006-Touch!

June 30, 2006-Received RFE!

June 30, 2006-mailed RFE to CSC (overnight)

July 3, 2006-Touch!

July 4, 2006-Touch!

July 5, 2006-CSC received RFE

July 6, 2006-Received email confirming CSC received RFE

July 27, 2006-Touch!

July 31, 2006-Approval!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (SOOOOOOOO EXCITED)

August 1, 2006- Email stating we had been approved!

August 1, 2006- worried about what comes next!

August 7, 2006-package sent to NVC

August 8-17-package was received by NVC, processed, and sent to London Embassy

August 17, 2006-Rich received packet 3 from the Embassy in London

August 22, 2006-Rich mails packet 3 back to London Embassy

August 31, 2006-Rich has his medical

September 21, 2006- I received an email from the Consulate with the Interview date

September 23, 2006- Rich received Packet 4

October 18, 2006- Interview! Approved!!!!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2006- Recieved visa in the mail

May 04, 2007-Sent AOS and EAD packets

May 09, 2007-NOA1

June 01, 2007-Biometrics appt.

June 12, 2007-AOS transferred to California

July 16, 2007-Touch (AOS)

July 17, 2007-Tourch (AOS)

July 18, 2007-EAD approved!!!!!!!!

July 27, 2007-EAD arrives in mail

September 05, 2007-Green card arrives in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I get the impression that it will be fine, it really is just that fear of screwing up something this important.

I would think it would be a good thing to acknowledge the pending K-1 visa? Rationally [not that anything in the K-1 process seems all that based in rationale sometimes] I would think it would be obvious that we weren't intending to get married while he's here at Christmas, because that would make no sense if we've filed for the K-1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he'd just get kicked out immediately if we got married without the K-1, right?

I would think it would appear more of a risk if we HADN'T filed already. I might be wrong though.

I agree with you...if we're trying to by-pass the process, why would we even have filed in the first place? But they don't look at it that way.

My fiance is from the UK and he just came out here in September for two weeks. He was here last year for 5 months on a tourist visa, so they pulled him over and questioned him about that. He was honest and said he was here to see me and they questioned him for about an hour, before letting him in. (Quite nerve racking on my end, waiting in arrivals, knowing his plane has landed and he hasn't come through yet). It was huge relief to see him come through the doors! He said they were all really nice to him, just asked him about when we're getting married and when he's returning to the Uk and what he does for a living, etc. HE took some work documents with him, and they never asked to see them.

Like everyone else says, all you can is be honest...and hope you get someone in a good mood!

September, 2000 - met traveling and became friends

August 27, 2004 - Went to the UK for 6 weeks became more than friends

May 27, 2006 - ENGAGED! (He proposed while I was visiting for 6 weeks in London)

June 13, 2006 - Sent I-129F

July 5, 2006 - Rcvd RFE - 'rejection notice'...didn't like our signatures...had to do it again!

July 25, 2006 - Sent I-129F AGAIN! (Hope they like the signatures!)

July 26, 2006 - USCIS rcvd packet

July 31, 2006 - check cashed! (They must like the signatures this time!)

August 4, 2006 - NOA1 received

September 4, 2006 - Fiance comes out for a 2 week visit! No problems at POE...

September 15, 2006 - NOA2 Approval email rcvd.

October 13, 2006 - received notification that NVC received packet

October 27, 2006 - Fiance receives packet 3 instructions from Embassy

December 11, 2006 - Fiance sends in packet 3 (minus checklist) to Embassy in London

January 26, 2007 - Medical in London

January 29, 2007 - Police background check....ALL CLEAR!

March 31, 2007 - Sent off packet 3 checklist

April 26, 2007 - received packet 4...interview set for June 6th!

June 6, 2007 - Interview at London Embassy...APPROVED!!!!!!!!

June 14, 2007 - Rcv'd Visa in the mail...

August 21, 2007 - Fiance arrives in the US!

August 25, 2007 - MARRIED!!!!

September 23, 2007 - Sent off AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.