jazzly

AOS avoiding spouse's I864a for qualified sponsor

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My sponsor is filling up the I864. His income in line 23 is well above the poverty guideline.

He files 1040 tax form combined with his wife's income. We don't want to mention her and submit a seperate I864a for her when we don't need her income to qualify.

I have read on this forum that I don't have to mention her in line 24b and just mention the income in line 23 in 24a and 24c. This is the income that is on W2 (his own income from his job).

However in line 25, he should mention just the income in line 23 (his own income), regardless of the income shown in 1040 that he is submitting (that also has his wife's income). The following statement in line 25 created doubt in my mind of which income should we mention in this line, the one on W2 or the one on 1040.

My total income (adjusted gross income on IRS Form 1040EZ) as reported on my Federal tax returns for the most recent three years was:

If this is the case, then what supporting docs he needs to submit?

1040 and W2 for 2011.

Last pay check of year 2011.

1040 of 2010 and 2009 as well.

Does he need to submit W2 from 2009/2010 as well to show the difference in income shown on W2 and the one reported on 1040 to IRS?

Does he need to attach transcript as well?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My sponsor is filling up the I864. His income in line 23 is well above the poverty guideline.

He files 1040 tax form combined with his wife's income. We don't want to mention her and submit a seperate I864a for her when we don't need her income to qualify.

I have read on this forum that I don't have to mention her in line 24b and just mention the income in line 23 in 24a and 24c. This is the income that is on W2 (his own income from his job).

However in line 25, he should mention just the income in line 23 (his own income), regardless of the income shown in 1040 that he is submitting (that also has his wife's income). The following statement in line 25 created doubt in my mind of which income should we mention in this line, the one on W2 or the one on 1040.

My total income (adjusted gross income on IRS Form 1040EZ) as reported on my Federal tax returns for the most recent three years was:

If this is the case, then what supporting docs he needs to submit?

1040 and W2 for 2011.

Last pay check of year 2011.

1040 of 2010 and 2009 as well.

Does he need to submit W2 from 2009/2010 as well to show the difference in income shown on W2 and the one reported on 1040 to IRS?

Does he need to attach transcript as well?

You actually mean line 22, not 23 but do NOT use the number there. That would be the joint income. State the actual income from the W2 form, then support the past income claim with a full tax return including W2 form. Support the "current income" with a recent pay stub showing YTD income. Whether you provide more than one tax return is optional. Don't confuse past income with current income. It's the current income that qualifies the sponsor. The past is just informational.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So if I have the following two, I will be well covered?

1. 1040 for year 2011

2. W2 for year 2011

3. Last pay check of year 2011 showing YTD income that will also match W2 or will be close to it).

Is there any extra weight of providing previous two 1040 and W2? Or should I not bother.

From your post in this thread and other AOS thread, it looks like I only mention the income in his 2011 W2 and support it with the above three proofs.

Should I also write an appendix for clarification on seperate paper, that the differenc between 1040 and W2 is due to his wife's income, or they are smart enough to figure it out.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

So if I have the following two, I will be well covered?

1. 1040 for year 2011

2. W2 for year 2011

3. Last pay check of year 2011 showing YTD income that will also match W2 or will be close to it).

Is there any extra weight of providing previous two 1040 and W2? Or should I not bother.

From your post in this thread and other AOS thread, it looks like I only mention the income in his 2011 W2 and support it with the above three proofs.

Should I also write an appendix for clarification on seperate paper, that the differenc between 1040 and W2 is due to his wife's income, or they are smart enough to figure it out.

Replace 3. with the most current pay stub available. Again, do NOT confuse past income with current income. Current is TODAY. Last pay check of 2011 is the past. No need to match the W2.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.