Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Can I do anything if it's not 6 months since I file yet?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Again, as I said before, I DO have special circumstances (real and serious not just vacation plans) so I need approval / decision asap. And I just past 5 months from them getting my papers (it's California btw). I've heard if i call I need to talk to "second level clerk" or something like that, so they can give me me more update? Is it truth and can i really do anything before I wait for 6 months?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

No there is nothing you can do. You have to wait. If you are still in processing times they likely will not help unless it is a serious issue, but even then you have an extension paper that allows travel and work.

Please update your timeline and explain what special circumstance it is that you cannot use your extension letter for so people can better help you.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your approval letter extends the validity of your permanent residency for one year from issuance and you may extend it again if your case has not been processed by then. You are permitted to travel outside of the country while you await approval and return using your expired green card and original (not a copy) extension letter.

Unless you provide more specific details regarding your need for a speedy approval, I am unsure of whether we can help you further.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Expedite Criteria

All expedite requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and are granted at the discretion of the Director. The burden is on the applicant or petitioner to demonstrate that one or more of the expedite criteria have been met. The criteria are as follows:

Severe financial loss to company or individual

Extreme emergent situation

Humanitarian situation

Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States

Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government)

USCIS error

Compelling interest of USCIS


You can check USCIS website to see whether you are qualified for expedite processing, or call them to ask for the specific criteria and see whether you fall into one of them (something like military service, brutal abuse, etc. I forgot where I saw these), but most of the time we dont fit any of those criteria. And what you can do is only one word: wait. Plus, like others pointed, you have the one year extension paper, which gives you the priviledge to work and travel abroad. Good luck.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with ROC and proving you need to expedite is that YOU have almost nothing to do after you file and almost nothing to gain directly from being approved. What I mean is that you don't have an interview (most of the time) that would require you to physically be somewhere, nor do you HAVE to have the new ten year green card for anything when the extension letter does the same thing.

No matter what you try to come up with uscis will prove that the letter and type of case (roc) does not result in you needing to be expedited.

Are you in the military? You can serve overseas without having to go back for an interview so this won't work.

You need to travel because mom is about to die or will need 6 months of your helping hand to recover from cancer? The letter will work.

You need the real green card for some government related work? Highly unlikely since almost all government jobs require citz.

You need the green card to get instate tuition? The old one with the letter works just fine.

The list could go on and on, but this isn't n-400 or even aos where there is a list of required places to be and things to do that might get you expedited.... you have to wait like everyone else.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.