Josiek

Need Help from Spaniards!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello everybody. I have been reading the forum for a while. I need specific information regarding DS230 packages sent as a Spaniard Beneficiary. I read all the general requirements but found out that a Civil Status Document "certificado de fe de vida y estado" appears as a required document after the list of country reciprocity for Spain.

I need to know if this is a document required from all spanish beneficiaries or just a document that is included when the marriage took place in Spain. We got married in the US a few months ago and, as of yet, I haven't inscribed our marriage in the civil register. To obtain this Fe de Vida y Estado certificate, according to the ministry hotline in Spain I would have to go through a process that could take months to first apply for an appointment and then register my marriage. This would delay my case indefenetely and I would not only be separated from my wife even longer, but also possibly lose a scholarship and school admission I have been working towards for the past two years.

I am in desperate need to find somebody from Spain that can tell me what exactly they included in the DS230 package to make sure I don't screw up and delay this even more.

The document I am talking about isn't listed in the main list of documents that must be presented

The thing is that I am very meticulous and wanting to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding the Police Certificate requirements I decided to click on the reciprocity by country link.

Under the list that link leads to is were this surprise was waiting for me on the state.gov website:

Civil Status Certificates

Available only to persons who are registered in a census (empadronamiento)." Certificado de Fe de Vida y Estado" is requested from the Registro Civil of the applicant's domicile.

At first I thought this was the simple "certificado de empadronamiento" issued at your local district. Now it seems it's not.

I also assume that if this was so important they would have pointed it out earlier in the instructions and not hide it behind a link originally related to Police Certificate issuance depending on country.

So far my package, which is ready to be sent except for that curse of a document includes:

• Bar coded cover letter

• Two passport photographs of beneficiary (NVC Case Number, beneficiary’s full name and date of birth are written on back of both)

• DS-230 Part I completed and signed by beneficiary

• DS-230 Part II completed by beneficiary – unsigned per instructions

• Copy of biographic data page(s) of beneficiary’s passport

• Literal birth certificate “certificado de nacimiento” of beneficiary (with enclosed photocopy)

• Original american marriage certificate (with enclosed photocopy)

• Original police certificate “certificado de antecedentes penales” of beneficiary (with enclosed photocopy)

Thanks you all kindly for your help in advance!

Started Talking: December 14, 2006

Met in Person: December 27, 2008

Got married : April 30, 2011

USCIS: (160 Days)

08/23/11 - I-130 Application filed and sent

08/25/11 - I-130 NOA1 Received

02/22/12 - I-130 NOA2 Received

NVC

03/06/2012 - AOS Invoice Received with Choice Agent Form Sent

03/12/2012 - AOS Invoice: PAID and Choice Agent Form sent

03/19/2012 - AOS Package Sent

03/19/2012 - Choice Agent Form accepted

03/20/2012 - AOS Package Received by NVC

03/20/2012 - IV Invoice Received

03/20/2012 - IV Invoice Paid

3/23/2012 - AOS Checklist for Proof of Assets

3/24/2012 - Resent Checklist and AOS form

03/27/2012 - IV Package Sent

03/29/2012 - AOS approved

04/03/2012 - CASE COMPLETED!!! WOOHOOO - Waiting for Interview from Madrid

04/05/2012 - Interview date assigned -May 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm

U.S Embassy

04/26/2012 - Medical checkup

05/17/2012 - Interview; Result:APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05/23/2012 - Visa received

Brief Holiday in Spain and Portugal July 2 - 20!!!!

United States

XX/XX/2012 - Port of entry: Washington Dulles

XX/XX/2012 - SSN applied

XX/XX/2012 - Welcome notice letter received

XX/XX/2012 - SSN card received

XX/XX/2012 - Green card received

Timeline

By the way. Reading more about Visa laws I think this document may be more relevant for a Visa process where a couple is still unmarried, like a K1 for example. In that case before marriage the beneficiary would have to show proof of his civil status. I got married in Miami and passports were sufficient to arrange the wedding, which came totally unexpected. I don't see how being already married in the US this document makes any difference in my current situation towards obtaining residency.

However, I see all the problems it would make to obtain it right now. Not having to present it would quiet frankly take a huge weight off my chest.

NVC

U.S Embassy

United States

XX/XX/2012 - SSN applied

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello everybody. I have been reading the forum for a while. I need specific information regarding DS230 packages sent as a Spaniard Beneficiary. I read all the general requirements but found out that a Civil Status Document "certificado de fe de vida y estado" appears as a required document after the list of country reciprocity for Spain.

I need to know if this is a document required from all spanish beneficiaries or just a document that is included when the marriage took place in Spain. We got married in the US a few months ago and, as of yet, I haven't inscribed our marriage in the civil register. To obtain this Fe de Vida y Estado certificate, according to the ministry hotline in Spain I would have to go through a process that could take months to first apply for an appointment and then register my marriage. This would delay my case indefenetely and I would not only be separated from my wife even longer, but also possibly lose a scholarship and school admission I have been working towards for the past two years.

I am in desperate need to find somebody from Spain that can tell me what exactly they included in the DS230 package to make sure I don't screw up and delay this even more.

The document I am talking about isn't listed in the main list of documents that must be presented

The thing is that I am very meticulous and wanting to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding the Police Certificate requirements I decided to click on the reciprocity by country link.

Under the list that link leads to is were this surprise was waiting for me on the state.gov website:

Civil Status Certificates

Available only to persons who are registered in a census (empadronamiento)." Certificado de Fe de Vida y Estado" is requested from the Registro Civil of the applicant's domicile.

At first I thought this was the simple "certificado de empadronamiento" issued at your local district. Now it seems it's not.

I also assume that if this was so important they would have pointed it out earlier in the instructions and not hide it behind a link originally related to Police Certificate issuance depending on country.

So far my package, which is ready to be sent except for that curse of a document includes:

• Bar coded cover letter

• Two passport photographs of beneficiary (NVC Case Number, beneficiary’s full name and date of birth are written on back of both)

• DS-230 Part I completed and signed by beneficiary

• DS-230 Part II completed by beneficiary – unsigned per instructions

• Copy of biographic data page(s) of beneficiary’s passport

• Literal birth certificate “certificado de nacimiento” of beneficiary (with enclosed photocopy)

• Original american marriage certificate (with enclosed photocopy)

• Original police certificate “certificado de antecedentes penales” of beneficiary (with enclosed photocopy)

Thanks you all kindly for your help in advance!

It's for persons who are not married, your marriage certificate is enough and the only document required by NVC to testify married status:

"El certificado de fe de vida y estado es el documento que acredita que una persona está viva, así como su estado civil...estado de soltero, viudo o divorciado. (notice "casado" does not appear as an option).

Para probar el vínculo matrimonial será suficiente el certificado de matrimonio por lo que no se expedirá la "Fe de casado"."

Source:

http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1200666550200/Tramite_C/1214483961534/Detalle.html#quien

USCIS

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Madrid, Spain

Marriage : 03-13-2008

I-130 Sent : 12-09-2011

I-130 NOA1 : 12-14-2011

I-130 Approved : 12-21-2011

NVC

NVC Received : 01-09-2012

CASE COMPLETE!!!!!: 04-13-2012

INTERVIEW DATE ASSIGNED for June 14th: 5-4-2012

MADRID EMBASSY

Medical: June 13th, 2012

Interview Date: June 14th, 2012

Results: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEYYYYYYY

Visa received: June 18th, 2012

Currently:

Enjoying our last summer in Barcelona!!!

POE: September 6th 2012 - IAD Washington D.C.

as1cCqV0g410010MTk1MzlzfDQwNjMxMHN8TWFycmllZCBmb3I.gif

Dono gràcies a la vida per haver creuat i unit els nostres camins!!

Timeline

...como ha dicho Sant Feliu (i que tal la Costa Brava ara?).

Jo, we certainly did not mail un certificado de fe de vida. Our packet looked like yours (and was created based on this wiki's instructions), except that we were married in Spain. You'll also want to write a cover letter listing everything you send in the packet. All in all, they didn't give us any problems with the DS-230.

Timeline

It's for persons who are not married, your marriage certificate is enough and the only document required by NVC to testify married status:

"El certificado de fe de vida y estado es el documento que acredita que una persona está viva, así como su estado civil...estado de soltero, viudo o divorciado. (notice "casado" does not appear as an option).

Para probar el vínculo matrimonial será suficiente el certificado de matrimonio por lo que no se expedirá la "Fe de casado"."

Source:

http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1200666550200/Tramite_C/1214483961534/Detalle.html#quien

If this is so I am more than relieved. I guess I have gotten to such a level of obsession where I would need an officer, judge or the like to tell it to my face in slow motion :rofl:

Since this was listed in the requirements without specifying the case it applies to, I was convinced I needed it. I also called the civil registry today and the superior court and they said I wouldn't get it unless I registered my marriage in Spain first :(

I was just taking the word on the civil registry that I had to declare my new marriage in order to get the certificate, which I was convinced that NVC wanted from me.

Now I see that I got trapped in a limbo. Very confusing to figure out what applies and what not. Also because at first I thought that I needed to include the "certificado de empadronamiento" that we often present for legal matters and contracts in Spain. When i found out it was really the "Fe de Vida" what they ment I got really scared since my marriage is yet not registered in Spain.

Taking a look at my list and considering I have a clean criminal record, no previous marriage or children and no military experience I think I am good to go, right?

Thanks a ton! You made my day. I hope noone comes along to contradict your statement :no:

NVC

U.S Embassy

United States

XX/XX/2012 - SSN applied

Timeline

...como ha dicho Sant Feliu (i que tal la Costa Brava ara?).

Jo, we certainly did not mail un certificado de fe de vida. Our packet looked like yours (and was created based on this wiki's instructions), except that we were married in Spain. You'll also want to write a cover letter listing everything you send in the packet. All in all, they didn't give us any problems with the DS-230.

Great! I am ready to go then! So happy!

Getting married in Spain means you are registered here already: according to the Civil Register officer I talked to it means your civil status as a Spaniard will automattically be changed in the register and shuld you ever need to get the certificate, that information would show from then on. On the ministerio de justicia website there is a long PDF from the official bulletin of state where this is contemplated.

Reading your posts I am understanding that this is really just a diffeence of being married or not that doesn't or does require you to present such document. Now I understand that it doesn't matter where you get married. The marriage certificate rules out the Fe de Vida y Estado. You only need it if you want to bring over a fiancée, right? And it will only show that you are married if that marriage is legally registered in Spain. That is what I feared the most. Having to delay my process for months in expectation of the acknowledgement of the marriage over here to be able to get what I thought was a requirement. :bonk:

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Por cierto, off topic total. St Feliu es por la zona o por el festival de harcore y metal? Un saludo paisanos. Thanks a lot!

NVC

U.S Embassy

United States

XX/XX/2012 - SSN applied

Im afraid i cannot help, since i filed in the emabssy in london. however, why don't you just get as many documents prepared as possible. Fe de vida is for free.

Also, if you are missing some documents, they will tell you the day of the interview, and then you only have to post them to them, dnt need to interview again...

Great! I am ready to go then! So happy!

Getting married in Spain means you are registered here already: according to the Civil Register officer I talked to it means your civil status as a Spaniard will automattically be changed in the register and shuld you ever need to get the certificate, that information would show from then on. On the ministerio de justicia website there is a long PDF from the official bulletin of state where this is contemplated.

Reading your posts I am understanding that this is really just a diffeence of being married or not that doesn't or does require you to present such document. Now I understand that it doesn't matter where you get married. The marriage certificate rules out the Fe de Vida y Estado. You only need it if you want to bring over a fiancée, right? And it will only show that you are married if that marriage is legally registered in Spain. That is what I feared the most. Having to delay my process for months in expectation of the acknowledgement of the marriage over here to be able to get what I thought was a requirement. :bonk:

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Por cierto, off topic total. St Feliu es por la zona o por el festival de harcore y metal? Un saludo paisanos. Thanks a lot!

Timeline

Source:

That is correct!

I am waiting my interview date. Yesterday we just get an email from NVC telling us our case file is sending to Madrid. I hope we will have some news pretty soon.

God Bless ya'll!

Saludos from Mallorca

oc7lgatr4v.png

Our Visa Journey:

USCIS:

08/01/2011 - Mailed I-130

08/04/2011 - Received NOA1

08/12/2011 - Mailed I-129F

08/16/2011 - Received NOA1

01/27/2012 - Received NOA2 I-130 & I-129F

NVC:

01/31/2012 - K-3 changed for IR-1

01/31/2012 - Received NVC case number (MDD)

02/01/2012 - Received IIN (invoice identification number)

02/02/2012 - Received AOS and IV fee bill

02/03/2012 - AOS and IV PAID

02/10/2012 - Mailed IV Package to my husband in US

02/14/2012 - IV package arrive to my husband in US

02/15/2012 - My husband mailed AOS and IV Package to the attorney

02/17/2012 - Attorney get the package

02/21/2012 - Attorney sent the package to NVC

02/24/2012 - RFE: NVC send back a checklist about information missing or incomplete :(

02/27/2012 - Sent the missing information to NVC

03/07/2012 - CASE COMPLETED!!! Yayy finally ;)

04/24/2012 - INTERVIEW!!!!

APPROVED!!!!!!

Timeline

Buenas, veo que ya tienes la respuesta, de todas formas te comento el checklist que tuve yo, para que vayas con cuidado.. Rechazaron mis antecedentes penales porque, según el listo que revisó mis documentos, no habian sido emitidos por el MINISTERIO DE JUSTICIA ya que no aparecía este nombre en la cabecera del documento. Me marearon todo lo que quisieron y más; tuve que escribir una carta (no podía ser por mail), explicando que el nombre de la cabecera es el departamento DENTRO del Ministerio que se encarga de realizar estos certificados; intenté que me hicieran otro certificado en el que pusiese Ministerio de Justicia en lugar del otro departamento pero se negaron. Total, que con la tontería estuvimos dando vueltas un mes, y al final se solucionó todo cuando la quinta persona del NVC con la que hablé tuvo el sentido común de decir.. "ah, ya entiendo, pues voy a poner una nota a mi supervisor para que lo revise.." y al día siguiente ya teníamos un CASE COMPLETE. Mi consejo, escribe una cover letter bien detallada explicandolo todo, no vayan a tener que pensar demasiado.. A parte de esto, todo lo demás bastante rápido. Ahora estamos eperando a que nos den cita para la entrevista, ¿alguien por aquí que ya tenga fecha sabe cuanto estan tardando y para cuando las estan dando? Mucha suerte!

Edited by westdickens

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Europe & Eurasia regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Im afraid i cannot help, since i filed in the emabssy in london. however, why don't you just get as many documents prepared as possible. Fe de vida is for free.

Also, if you are missing some documents, they will tell you the day of the interview, and then you only have to post them to them, dnt need to interview again...

That is correct!

I am waiting my interview date. Yesterday we just get an email from NVC telling us our case file is sending to Madrid. I hope we will have some news pretty soon.

God Bless ya'll!

Saludos from Mallorca

Buenas, veo que ya tienes la respuesta, de todas formas te comento el checklist que tuve yo, para que vayas con cuidado.. Rechazaron mis antecedentes penales porque, según el listo que revisó mis documentos, no habian sido emitidos por el MINISTERIO DE JUSTICIA ya que no aparecía este nombre en la cabecera del documento. Me marearon todo lo que quisieron y más; tuve que escribir una carta (no podía ser por mail), explicando que el nombre de la cabecera es el departamento DENTRO del Ministerio que se encarga de realizar estos certificados; intenté que me hicieran otro certificado en el que pusiese Ministerio de Justicia en lugar del otro departamento pero se negaron. Total, que con la tontería estuvimos dando vueltas un mes, y al final se solucionó todo cuando la quinta persona del NVC con la que hablé tuvo el sentido común de decir.. "ah, ya entiendo, pues voy a poner una nota a mi supervisor para que lo revise.." y al día siguiente ya teníamos un CASE COMPLETE. Mi consejo, escribe una cover letter bien detallada explicandolo todo, no vayan a tener que pensar demasiado.. A parte de esto, todo lo demás bastante rápido. Ahora estamos eperando a que nos den cita para la entrevista, ¿alguien por aquí que ya tenga fecha sabe cuanto estan tardando y para cuando las estan dando? Mucha suerte!

Muchas gracias a todos!

Sí que he pensado hacer la cover letter muy detallada. Y en las traducciones incluso he explicado con detalle a qué corresponden los escudos de las cabeceras y los sellos de cada documento. Espero que con eso valga.

SALUDOS!

NVC

U.S Embassy

United States

XX/XX/2012 - SSN applied

Timeline

By the way. Reading more about Visa laws I think this document may be more relevant for a Visa process where a couple is still unmarried, like a K1 for example. In that case before marriage the beneficiary would have to show proof of his civil status. I got married in Miami and passports were sufficient to arrange the wedding, which came totally unexpected. I don't see how being already married in the US this document makes any difference in my current situation towards obtaining residency.

However, I see all the problems it would make to obtain it right now. Not having to present it would quiet frankly take a huge weight off my chest.

Hello,

I think you already have your answer, but I can confirm that the only thing required to verify your status as married is your US marriage certificate (we had our IR1 interview last week).

If you want to register your marriage in Spain, you need to do it via the consulate in the US that corresponds to you. For us it was Chicago, for you I suppose it would be Miami. It´s easy, you send in the documents via mail, and they send you your certificate in the mail (complete with Tome and Page number). We have a libro de familia, too, but I remember reading that that was going to be phased out, not sure if it has been or not. For the rest of your life, you contact that consulate for copies of the marriage certificate (for most things they only have a validity of 3 or 6 months) but I haven´t had any problem with that either - I just sent the consulate an email and less than 2 weeks later have as many copies as I´ve requested arrive via mail (I don´t even have to send money for postage).

Timeline

Perdona, no había visto tu pregunta!!! Es por el pueblo en la Costa Brava :luv:

USCIS

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Madrid, Spain

Marriage : 03-13-2008

I-130 Sent : 12-09-2011

I-130 NOA1 : 12-14-2011

I-130 Approved : 12-21-2011

NVC

NVC Received : 01-09-2012

CASE COMPLETE!!!!!: 04-13-2012

INTERVIEW DATE ASSIGNED for June 14th: 5-4-2012

MADRID EMBASSY

Medical: June 13th, 2012

Interview Date: June 14th, 2012

Results: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEYYYYYYY

Visa received: June 18th, 2012

Currently:

Enjoying our last summer in Barcelona!!!

POE: September 6th 2012 - IAD Washington D.C.

as1cCqV0g410010MTk1MzlzfDQwNjMxMHN8TWFycmllZCBmb3I.gif

Dono gràcies a la vida per haver creuat i unit els nostres camins!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.