HopeFaithLove

Transcript of Record (TOR) as work requirement in the US

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi VJs, I wish to find out if there is a need for my Transcript of Records (BS and Master Degrees)to be in "Red Ribbon" certified by DFA in the Philippines so I could work here in the USA ? Is this a standard requirement of US employers? I only have an original and authenticated copies with school seal, would this be Ok ? I hope to hear from my fellow Filipinos who had similar concerns --- how was it during application / interview ? Do they get original or only photocopies ? Please share your experience. Thank you all in advance and God bless ! :)

A US employer does not usually check that you have the degrees you say you have - they take your word for it. If you lied and can't do your job, they'll fire you. If they seem concerned about your credentials, you can have your diplomas and courses evaluated by a company that specializes in evaluating degrees by american standards. The company WES comes to mind. none of these things are required for work in the US per se. People without degrees are eligible to work.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

For employment purposes there really is no need to present your degree (s) to a potential employer. If you state you have certain qualifications -- those qualifications can be confirmed during a pre-employment background check. However, if you want to bring those items with you, there might be some other use/need for them in the future.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

A US employer does not usually check that you have the degrees you say you have - they take your word for it. If you lied and can't do your job, they'll fire you. If they seem concerned about your credentials, you can have your diplomas and courses evaluated by a company that specializes in evaluating degrees by american standards. The company WES comes to mind. none of these things are required for work in the US per se. People without degrees are eligible to work.

Thank you Harpa for sharing your idea. I just thought of this as I was planning to apply for a certain job I've seen online (indeed.com, simplyhired.com, monster, etc...) and it says that the applicant must have a BS degree, and even some of the positions that I got interested the employers require masters degree and some related experiences. There is no problem on doing work as stated in the job descriptions. They can always have a background check to prove my worth. And I thought my diploma and transcript records should also prove that I have attained the degrees required. May I know what is WES ? I intend to have my TOR evaluated ? and, if there is a need for me to take a refresher course or Certification to increase my chance of getting the right job, then I would love to do it. God bless !

Timeline

For employment purposes there really is no need to present your degree (s) to a potential employer. If you state you have certain qualifications -- those qualifications can be confirmed during a pre-employment background check. However, if you want to bring those items with you, there might be some other use/need for them in the future.

Thank you lots, Leatherneck. This mean that I don't need to attach copy of my TOR and Diploma to my Resume when applying online ? If this is so, then that would be easier then. As was worried since I just have my TOR and Diploma in original and authenticated copy only, but not with "Red Ribbon" or DFA certified. As you know this a standard practice for OFW who work abroad.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you lots, Leatherneck. This mean that I don't need to attach copy of my TOR and Diploma to my Resume when applying online ? If this is so, then that would be easier then. As was worried since I just have my TOR and Diploma in original and authenticated copy only, but not with "Red Ribbon" or DFA certified. As you know this a standard practice for OFW who work abroad.

You're welcome!

That is correct -- you don't need to attach a copy of your TOR or diploma. If an employer wants to verify your education, they will do so at their expense.

World Education Services (WES) is one of the many education credential evaluators that perform the service of evaluating a foreign students college courses. Here is the link to WES, good luck.

http://www.wes.org/

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

You're welcome!

That is correct -- you don't need to attach a copy of your TOR or diploma. If an employer wants to verify your education, they will do so at their expense.

World Education Services (WES) is one of the many education credential evaluators that perform the service of evaluating a foreign students college courses. Here is the link to WES, good luck.

http://www.wes.org/

Thanks lots again. I like the US government. They make things easier and right. Important we aren't lying on our credentials and they have ways to track on it. Great ! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.