mr&mrs4ever

primary sponsor questions before interview!

3 posts in this topic

I am nearing my wife's interview date and a little nervous. Here is my situation:

Long story short, in 2010 I sold my car plus a few possessions and moved to the Philippines.

My wife's joint sponsor is my Father. He is well above the financial level needed for sponsorship. I've already received the I-864 he filled out and sent over. Plus received all required criteria from him and then some. This includes a cover letter addressed to the Embassy about joint sponsorship. Also there is a signed letter by both my parents regarding domicile stating that their home will be our home when we arrive until we find a place.

I learned from reading today that I also need to fill out a I-864 form even though I'm way below the poverty line.

I only made money for 3 months in 2011 and 3 in 2012 and before that I lived off of what I had when I arrived.

I made money through an American employer for about 6 months now. During this time I received Filipino wages, making less than $500.00 USD a month (40 hour a week job). I was paid via Paypal and have no other evidence than that. My company will provide me a letter if needed (It will just be a scanned and color printed copy though)

I have not filed any tax returns in several years.

So I will fill out an I-864.

But should I also print out my Paypal forms and have my company create me a letter stating I worked there? There were no W-2s involved and I have not submitted a 1099 for 2011 so I don't want to do anything wrong here.

Does anyone reading this think I'm in the clear or if not what?

Advice appreciated.

To the mods, this is a double post. I have the same under 'proof of domicle' thread. It was an accident, meant to create a new topic, sorry.

DCF - US Embassy (Manila, Philippines)

- 04.10.2010 - Moved to the Philippines

- 10.15.2011 - Got Married

- 12.27.2011 - Filed I-130

- 03.02.2012 - I-130 Approved

- 03.09.2012 - Submitted DS2001/DS230 at MNL Embassy

- 03.15.2012 - SLMEC Exam (PASSED)

- 04.02.2012 - Interview

- 04.03.2012 - Approved!!! Thank you LORD!!!

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

All U.S. citizens and resident aliens are subject to U.S. tax on their worldwide income.U.S. taxpayers overseas have the same requirements for paying estimated tax as those in the United States.

Here is what IRS says about that"

" I am a U.S. citizen. I have lived abroad for a number of years and recently realized that I should have been filing U.S. income tax returns. How do I correct this oversight in not having filed returns for these years?

File the late returns as soon as possible, stating your reason for filing late. For advice on filing the returns, you should contact either an Internal Revenue Service representative in one of the four overseas offices listed in chapter 7, or an Internal Revenue official who travels through your area (details can be obtained from your nearest U.S. consulate or Embassy.It is too late to claim this refund since a claim for refund must be filed within 3 years from the date the return was filed or 2 years from the date the tax was paid, whichever is later. A return filed before the due date is considered filed on the due date.

Overseas taxpayers should not include in their estimated income any income they receive that is, or will be, exempt from U.S. taxation.

Overseas taxpayers can deduct their estimated housing deduction in figuring their estimated tax.

The first installment of estimated tax is due on April 15 of the year for which the income is earned".

• 2 weeks later...

It may be true that you are required to file taxes while in another country, however, I believe there is a threshold (Maybe 8,000/yr) you must be over in order to be required to pay taxes.

If there is no record of it (no w2) why even tell them about it?

Edited by GirlWithAGerman

GirlWithAGerman

Summer 2010 Summer Love in LA <3

Winter 2010 We're Engaged!

Spring 2011 Moved to Germany (The Plan is 2 Years)

Summer 2011 Eloped in Denmark.

Winter 2012 Sorry Germany... I Miss Home!!!

DCF

2.27.2012 I-130 Sent

3.16.2012 NOA 1

5.31.2012 NOA 2!! Approved!

6.4.2012 DS-230 Sent

6.6.2012 Checklist & Documents Sent

6.11.2012 Medical Appointment

6.14.2012 Requested More Documents -_-

6.18.2012 Sent More Documents

6.23.2012 Appointment letter received!

6.29.2012 Final Interview in Frankfurt!

7.4.2012 Happy 4th of July! The IV and super secret package are here!!!

7.29.2012 Flew Home!!!!!!!

8.6.2012 SSN Received

8.13.2012 Green Card Received

10.4.2012 Passed CA Driver's Test

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.