pedroh

the good ole' days

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I don't know why, people are so nostalgic with the place where I work (y'all know where I work hehe).. old people always talk how they build this or that, and talk about the good old days.. but I wonder, why was it better? I have several points, that make me think things weren't that good before..

more than half the stuff we sell, didn't even exist, wasn't even in a freakin design board.. although quality was better (they used metal lol and not that cheap components)... why would I think a ole' big radio is better than a digital one? when the broadcasting quality was crappy.. also people didn't live as long, there were no roads, no internet.. not all the medicines we have now..there were drafts, racism was legal, and even booze wasn't as good as it is now due to more quality procedures.. so, what's good about the good old days? yea probly food was better, no msg's or trans fats, but still, you could die from an infection, or had to drive for hours to get to a hospital.. nahh.. I'll stick to my crappy modern era.. lol

also.. har har har, these guys would love that all the businesses opened at 6am.. old people, we're from a sleepy and comfy generation.. we don't need to wake up at fukcin 6am.. sleep, please.. after working for a life, sleep and be lazy (that's what im planning to do, if not, im gonna be on pills)

any thoughts?!

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I remember the good old days when my mom had a cell phone that weighed 100 pounds.

When my walkman was about 60 pounds....

but I also remember when gas cost 90 cents a gallon...

and coke machines only cost a quarter :)

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Timeline
I remember the good old days when my mom had a cell phone that weighed 100 pounds.

When my walkman was about 60 pounds....

but I also remember when gas cost 90 cents a gallon...

and coke machines only cost a quarter :)

oh dude I remember my walkman.. wasn't as heavy, but it was heavy compared to the new stuff. it was real metal, no plastic.. and it was so cool because it had 2 headphone jacks.. the first tape i listened to in my walkman was nevermind by nirvana

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Timeline

i had that huge one from sony - it was yellow...it was seriously heavy...it was a "sport" one but it was like having a 10 pound weight in your hand

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Timeline
i had that huge one from sony - it was yellow...it was seriously heavy...it was a "sport" one but it was like having a 10 pound weight in your hand

yea i remember the sports walkman.. all the cool people had the sports walkman hehehe..

then i remember when my dad got one of the first compact cd players.. it was big, the display screen was tiny, and anti-skip didn't exist.. so even a slight vibration would turn that discman mad!! and it was expensive as #######.. I hear from the managers that I know about the ole' vcr's.. when they first sold VHS's or even Camcorders, they were expensive as fukc.. I think a VHS was over 200 bucks

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Filed: Other Timeline
more than half the stuff we sell, didn't even exist, wasn't even in a freakin design board.. although quality was better (they used metal lol and not that cheap components)... why would I think a ole' big radio is better than a digital one? when the broadcasting quality was crappy.. also people didn't live as long, there were no roads, no internet.. not all the medicines we have now..there were drafts, racism was legal, and even booze wasn't as good as it is now due to more quality procedures.. so, what's good about the good old days? yea probly food was better, no msg's or trans fats, but still, you could die from an infection, or had to drive for hours to get to a hospital.. nahh.. I'll stick to my crappy modern era.. lol

We didn't even know what those electronics were, so why would we miss them?

How far back are you going where you say there were no roads?

Can't you still die from an infection today? In a hospital even?

Is racism illegal now? Isn't it just a different group that's in the 'back of the bus' now?

The more things change the more they stay the same.........

PS I remember gas at 28 cents a gallon!

Edited by rebeccajo

Fax machines used the rolls of shiny paper and the pages never laid flat on your desk...

Offices only had 'terminals', no personal computers. No email, except internally.

No post-it notes... carbon copy black paper.

And the ditto machines that were used when I was in gramar school. Had to be hand-cranked. Blue ink. Very specific 'smell' as I recall.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
Fax machines used the rolls of shiny paper and the pages never laid flat on your desk...

OMG THE FAX PAPER! LOLOLOLOL I forgot about that.

And the ditto machines that were used when I was in gramar school. Had to be hand-cranked. Blue ink. Very specific 'smell' as I recall.

DITTOS! OMG OMG this is hilarios

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
in high school a had a little honda civic. I could fill it up for 9 bucks

I could fill my 92 Honda Civic for 10 bucks. And the gas price was that stable for years.

The first bank I worked in after college didn't even have computers. All the data was sent to a computer service in town each night.

The first VCR I bought was $800.

First microwave $500.

First apartment 1978 - 2 bedroom townhouse with basement $160 a month.

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline

lolz..

becca, u're right in some things.. although, true, racism is still around, but at least the minorites can have 'legal protection' or try something different.... the difference im talkin about is probly 30-50 years.. at least in this area 15 years ago there were no roads where i work, it was a corn field!! zomg..

true, u can still die from an infection in a hospital, but the probability has dimished..

yea i remember the computers.. i went to a course, and the computers were 386, running at 233mhz, with like 56mb of ram and probly a 'huge disk' of 150mb.. lololol.. back then 486 was comming in with an unbeleivable speed of 366mhz, and there was this thing, called telnet, in which u could send emails to people..

i remember that fax paper, and those big ribbons for those old printers that offices had

and now people are OH NOES! because the VCR's are soon to dissapear, and they can't believe it!

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Timeline

the thing that i still wonder about is, why old people wake up at 6am? damn they're retired, i'd be chilling.. sleeping :P

they come to the store at 8:50am and have that face of 'why dont u open earlier'(of course i dont let them in, its not 9am yet).. ammh.. no.. we younguns love to sleep.. har har har

mhh i never had a tv dinner, box dinners arent and never were popular in meheeco.. now i've tried like lean cuisine and stuff.. but not impressed :P

my grandma still has a turntable/am/fm radio which look more like a big table rather than a turntable..

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute