kath1958

how to buy a car

5 posts in this topic

How to buy a car: save your money-up and pay cash.

Advice from my father: nobody ever got rich by financing a new car.

Advice from me: follow my father's advice, he's a lot smarter than I am.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Im sure if you do a google search you will find lots of decent car buying advice. They say for the best value buy a 1-2 yr old car. As soon as you take a new car off the lot, it has already gone down in value. Take your time and do some research on the various models. I prefer Honda's, Acura and Toyota's, maybe a bit more $$ than say a domestic (ford , gm, dodge) but tend to be better quality and hold their value better, not saying the domestics aren't bad either. If you look at quality polls over the yrs, you will see the Imports at the top of the list. As well shop around for the best loan, not al the same. Sometimes to get all the extra rebates from the dealership, one has to finance through them, so watch out for that, sometimes they do have very good rates, sometimes they do not. If you buy new, most reports state dont bother with paint and fabric protection, waste of $$$. One can goto the store and buy a few bottle of the fabric protection which will do the same job at a fraction of the cost. Moral of the story, do research on cars and financing. Consumers reports is a good place to start. One can buy a monthy online subscription for like $4. As well they put out abook on cars, good and best bets as well as a lemon edition (cars that suck) Once you know what you want, shop around. Car salesmen can be a pain in the ###. Most try to pretend that they are on ur side, but most are not, remember they are there to make the most $$$ possible for the dealership. Saturn is one company (owned by GM) that there is no haggling, price you see, is waht you pay. Some state its a better buying experience. Scion (owned by Toyota) is that way as well. Best of luck. Car buying can be frustrating, but can be fun as well. Get out there and test drive, its free to do so, just have to put up with the salesmen!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.