5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

My husband arrived last August on a K1 and we married in September. We filed our papers for the AOS at the beginning of December.

I am confused about the whole SSN thing: our lawyer told us that we have to receive the EAD before we can apply, the SS office told me that it comes automatically when he receives his other papers, and then I have read that people on this board apply for it right away!

Should we just go down to the SS office and see if they will let him apply? (We don't have the EAD yet, btw.)

K-1 Visa: approved 2005-05-04

Marriage: 2005-09-23

AOS/EAD/AP filed: 2005-12-02

Receipt notice: 2006-01-23

Biometrics Appt.: 2006-02-21

RFE(s): 2006-03-08

The agony goes on.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I am amazed that your Lawyer didn't advise your Fiance to apply for his SSN before his I-94 expired ?? He really is stuck now until his EAD or AOS is approved (whichever happens first). Most people entering on a K-1 wait a couple of weeks to ensure their entry details have been entered onto the SAVE system and then they apply for a SSN right away. This can normally all be completed before a K-1 holders I-94 expires.

It can't hurt to go to your local SSA office to see what the deal is but I wouldn't be suprised if you're told to come back once he has his EAD.

Good luck

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Diferent people have had diferent luck with their SS offices. So! Go ahead and try at your local office, maybe it will work for you. It's worth a shot (just a few hours one day!) If it doesn't, then you can wait for the EAD or AOS (if you didn't apply for the EAD.) Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Timeline
My husband arrived last August on a K1 and we married in September. We filed our papers for the AOS at the beginning of December.

I am confused about the whole SSN thing: our lawyer told us that we have to receive the EAD before we can apply, the SS office told me that it comes automatically when he receives his other papers, and then I have read that people on this board apply for it right away!

Should we just go down to the SS office and see if they will let him apply? (We don't have the EAD yet, btw.)

Lawyer screwed him. Could have applied for the SSN before the 76th day he was here with just the I-94.

Now must wait until he receives the EAD card.

Until he receives the EAD card I don't see any reason to go into an SSA office unless he wants the office to issue him a denial notice (Form SSA-L676).

In the meantime, apply for an ITIN with IRS if you need a number to file taxes.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) assigns individual taxpayer identification numbers (ITIN) to aliens for tax purposes who are not eligible to be assigned an SSN. A Form W-7, “Application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number,” needs to be submitted to receive an ITIN.

You can download a form W-7 from the IRS Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html

You may also contact the IRS ITIN office by calling 1-215-516-4846.

You can find additional information on the IRS Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.