SaharaSunset

Were Both the I-485 & I-765 sent to CA center????

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So my husband came on K-1 visa. We got married in the end of November and submitted the combined AOS (I-485) and the EAD (I-765) to Chicago. They received it in Jan 10th and sent two separate I-797C letters, notifying us that each form had been received. He had his biometrics on Feb 3rd. On Feb 6th we received another I-797C telling us that the 1-485 (Application to Adjust permanent resident status) had been transferred to the California service center. And that's all we've heard at this point.

Now for the last few weeks I have been merrily assuming that the transfer included the I-765 as well. I have been watching the timelines on this wonderful website and based on the averages, it seems that we could potentially have the an EAD approval notice this next week. Which of course we are anxious for so my husband can work. But suddenly today I had a moment of panic when I remembered the TWO letters we received the first time for each application, and how we only received ONE I-797C for this transfer. Does that mean the EAD I-765 was NOT transferred? Those of you who have submitted both, and had them transferred to CA, did you get two letters? Should I be worried that we have heard nothing more since Feb 6th? And if it does mean it was not transferred, any ideas why one would be and not the other? HELP! :blush:

The I-765 is still at NBC, which is normal. No need to panic. It will get approved there.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

So my husband came on K-1 visa. We got married in the end of November and submitted the combined AOS (I-485) and the EAD (I-765) to Chicago. They received it in Jan 10th and sent two separate I-797C letters, notifying us that each form had been received. He had his biometrics on Feb 3rd. On Feb 6th we received another I-797C telling us that the 1-485 (Application to Adjust permanent resident status) had been transferred to the California service center. And that's all we've heard at this point.

Now for the last few weeks I have been merrily assuming that the transfer included the I-765 as well. I have been watching the timelines on this wonderful website and based on the averages, it seems that we could potentially have the an EAD approval notice this next week. Which of course we are anxious for so my husband can work. But suddenly today I had a moment of panic when I remembered the TWO letters we received the first time for each application, and how we only received ONE I-797C for this transfer. Does that mean the EAD I-765 was NOT transferred? Those of you who have submitted both, and had them transferred to CA, did you get two letters? Should I be worried that we have heard nothing more since Feb 6th? And if it does mean it was not transferred, any ideas why one would be and not the other? HELP! :blush:

Nothing to worry about. Our timeline is very similar: Bio in early Jan (the 9th I think it was); EAD approval notice on Feb 1st, EAD in hand on Feb 7; there was a notice that 485 was moved to CSC something earlier but can't recall when; nothing about the 765 at that time.

Timeline

Thanks for the responses! I'll try to not worry - I just hate having our lives dangling in someone else power! Gosia & Tito, you had your EAD by Feb 1st? Wow, that was fast! I WISH that had been us! Are we allowed to call them and check on the EAD status? I know the I-485 notice says don't call until you've past the current processing "time frame" (which is like 4 months.) But what about an EAD in Chicago? Can we call them for an update or something?

You should have a receipt number for your EAD as well. You can check online. NBC is in Missouri. If your NOA1 is from Jan 10, it hasn't even been 2 months yet. EAD processing time is 3 months. I'd expect the card mid-April.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

You should have a receipt number for your EAD as well. You can check online. NBC is in Missouri. If your NOA1 is from Jan 10, it hasn't even been 2 months yet. EAD processing time is 3 months. I'd expect the card mid-April.

Ah okay, thank you! I'd never even thought to look for the EAD receipt number and there it was, so I was able to check online. Thank you again for the tip. I was just a little confused, but its sorted now. I guess we'll just keep holding our breath (and depleting our savings) until we get the card. Cheers!

Thanks for the responses! I'll try to not worry - I just hate having our lives dangling in someone else power! Gosia & Tito, you had your EAD by Feb 1st? Wow, that was fast! I WISH that had been us! Are we allowed to call them and check on the EAD status? I know the I-485 notice says don't call until you've past the current processing "time frame" (which is like 4 months.) But what about an EAD in Chicago? Can we call them for an update or something?

Your case number should be MSC....that means Missouri (even when petitions were send to Chicago), given the timelines and assuming more or less same level of service; I think you would be having some notice next week; but even if not...it's soon. I had setup for e-mail/text message notice, do same if you have not. You can check online as well, but in our case, there was no activity but a touch until we got approval by text/e-mail.

Feb 1st was the notice of approval (by text message). EAD showed in mail about a week later. We got several e-mails about card being in production.

Don't worry, it'll come soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.