Ash&Dave

USCIS had a typo in my address - I 765 application

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys,

This is probably a silly question, but I figured I'll ask in case someone else has felt this way after changing the address over the phone!

So after filling all three applications, I got the I797 (NOAs) within a week and the check was cashed. Apparently they had the zip code in correct in the I 765 NOA notice. It was just off by one number in the end, so somehow the post office figured it out and delivered, unfortunately we also failed to notice that minor discrepancy! ANyway, the other day I noticed online that the status has changed and it's saying that a piece of mail was undelievered and plese call us to update the address. At that point I called them, the guy was able to update the address (well just the typo in the zip code with only I 765 reciept number)

He gave me two different confirmation numbers, does anyone if there's a way to verify online whether the address has been updated correctly. He said they will send me something in the mail with in two weeks, which seems like such a waste of time.

Not only I'm conrenced that what If this gentleman accidentally screwed up something else (or with my luck, had another typo lol)....I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has called them (USCIS) back with the confirmation numbers and asked them to verify the address that was updated or vice versa?

I don't think it's possible to look it up online (unless I change it on their website myself) which I didn't do.

Call it a gut feeling, but I just don't want any further delays? Has anyone else gone through the same situation?

Hey guys,

This is probably a silly question, but I figured I'll ask in case someone else has felt this way after changing the address over the phone!

So after filling all three applications, I got the I797 (NOAs) within a week and the check was cashed. Apparently they had the zip code in correct in the I 765 NOA notice. It was just off by one number in the end, so somehow the post office figured it out and delivered, unfortunately we also failed to notice that minor discrepancy! ANyway, the other day I noticed online that the status has changed and it's saying that a piece of mail was undelievered and plese call us to update the address. At that point I called them, the guy was able to update the address (well just the typo in the zip code with only I 765 reciept number)

He gave me two different confirmation numbers, does anyone if there's a way to verify online whether the address has been updated correctly. He said they will send me something in the mail with in two weeks, which seems like such a waste of time.

Not only I'm conrenced that what If this gentleman accidentally screwed up something else (or with my luck, had another typo lol)....I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has called them (USCIS) back with the confirmation numbers and asked them to verify the address that was updated or vice versa?

I don't think it's possible to look it up online (unless I change it on their website myself) which I didn't do.

Call it a gut feeling, but I just don't want any further delays? Has anyone else gone through the same situation?

Call them and ask it they can verify the address on file. No biggie at all. They will tell you to read the right address, if it is match, they will let you know. I did it when my NOA was returned. I had to call them several times though to get a "courtesy copy" for it.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Call them and ask it they can verify the address on file. No biggie at all. They will tell you to read the right address, if it is match, they will let you know. I did it when my NOA was returned. I had to call them several times though to get a "courtesy copy" for it.

Hi there, thanks for your response, but that's the things though, I called them back but the lady flat out declined to verify anything over the phone, she said they don't even have access to that kind of information, all she can do is take the information and send a request to update it (which is what I did Yesterday) so I obviously don't want to update anything again.

Which brings me back to the question again... is there a way to verify this "online", in other words being able to see the current address and verify whether or not it's been updated correctly?

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind them telling me over the phone, is there another number I should call? I called the generic USIS number which was on the NOA, it's 1800-375-5283!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

A similar thing happened to me, they actually do change your address and you will receive a letter confirming it.

But the people on the customer service should be able to pull it up for you so if one representative is not helpful just hang up and call again and again until someone is willing to help. That's how they are! Also a tier 2 person can confirm that for you as well so you could try to ask to talk to one and insist on it saying that you have to confirm it or else it's gonna mess up your life or something (I'm not kidding)and they will transfer you and the immigration officer can for sure verify the address change for you.

Timeline

A similar thing happened to me, they actually do change your address and you will receive a letter confirming it.

But the people on the customer service should be able to pull it up for you so if one representative is not helpful just hang up and call again and again until someone is willing to help. That's how they are! Also a tier 2 person can confirm that for you as well so you could try to ask to talk to one and insist on it saying that you have to confirm it or else it's gonna mess up your life or something (I'm not kidding)and they will transfer you and the immigration officer can for sure verify the address change for you.

Thanks 'LoveNow' for sharing your experience, that's exactly what I was hoping for... I tried a couple of times and sure enough I was able to speak with a guy who seem really polite and courteous, he was able to verify that the address was infact changed correctly. I asked if he can figured out exactly what was sent to me that was returned to the USCIS (as I'm worrried that it might have been the biometrics appointment letter) he put me on hold, spoke to his supervisor and came back and told me that they don't have that information at all, so I guess I still don't know what was being sent but at least they are resending whatever it was that couldn't be delivered.

If you don't mind me asking, approximately how long it took you to recieve that change of address letter from the date when you changed the address over the phone? The guy told me within two weeks, I'm hoping that it'll be sooner than that so that I might still be able to make it to the biometrics appointment!

Thanks for your help!

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.