idaho1

apostille

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The apostille is an international certification of a legal document, whatever legal document you need in the Ukraine has to be taken to a Notary Republic so that they can put an Apostille to it.

This will cost money and you should shop around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_convention

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

American documents should be apostilled in the state they were issued by a governmental authority. You can get it done in one day by going to the state capital/most major city--New York, where I got mine apostilled, gives you the option of going to either Albany or New York City. Going by your username, here is the info for Idaho: http://www.sos.idaho.gov/notary/apostill.htm

I had my university diploma and transcripts apostilled, and to do this I had to get each document notarized individually at the registrar of the universities, and then I went to the main government office for the apostille. So if you have a marriage and a name change certificate, I imagine you can call up city hall or the county office and ask and they probably have a notary there.

If you're far away/don't need it immediately, you can do the apostille part it by mail.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

My wife from Ukraine wishes to change her maiden name on her passport to her new married name.She was told by her mother in Ukraine that she needs to Have an Apostille. Can someone enlighten me on this .....What it is and where to get it. Thanks in advance.

Maybe a remedial question, but what is the document she needs an apostile affixed to? Is it a Ukrainian document, or American? is it a translation, or something that needs a notary to sign here?

If you got married here, she probably needs a certified copy of your marraige license, maybe translated into Russian/Ukrainian. If the passport will be handled in America, I wonder if a notary can handle it.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Maybe a remedial question, but what is the document she needs an apostile affixed to? Is it a Ukrainian document, or American? is it a translation, or something that needs a notary to sign here?

If you got married here, she probably needs a certified copy of your marraige license, maybe translated into Russian/Ukrainian. If the passport will be handled in America, I wonder if a notary can handle it.

They can't notarize a translation of a documnet like a marriage license until it's been apostilled by the state. So you'd get the document itself notarized, then apostilled, then translated--and you'd need the apostille and the notarization stuff translated too!--and then the translation notarized. An unapostilled official document can't be notarized. At least that's what Russian translation agencies have told me.

Basically, when dealing with RUB, get as many official stamps as you can get for your document :D

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

They can't notarize a translation of a documnet like a marriage license until it's been apostilled by the state. So you'd get the document itself notarized, then apostilled, then translated--and you'd need the apostille and the notarization stuff translated too!--and then the translation notarized. An unapostilled official document can't be notarized. At least that's what Russian translation agencies have told me.

Basically, when dealing with RUB, get as many official stamps as you can get for your document :D

:lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

When in doubt, have bribery money available. :rofl:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.