K Jewels

-=[ So the process begins...

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1) I am currently working with my accountant to correct and bring my taxes up to date. Because of recent economic issues affecting my

business, I will be filing at a loss. I do have my parents business to co-sponsor if I need to meet sufficient income. However, even

operating at a loss, I still make more than the required income.

Current income is the key. If you have the tax transcripts or returns and current pay summaries to support this, then you are fine.

2) I cannot locate my ex to see if the divorce papers filed years ago went through or not. If it did I do not know where to file for an

original copy of the divorce. If I have to file for separate divorce again do I need to file in the state I was married or can I file in

current state?

You can order new certified copies from the county in which the divorce was filed. Call the county clerk; many can do this over the phone or internet. You NEED the certified copies and should not file anything until you have this.

3) Will the short amount of time we spent together affect their decision?

NO, if you can prove a legitimate relationship. My wife and I only knew each other for three months and saw each other in person for 10 days before we filed.

4) Will her denials for student visa and recent travel visa affect their decision?

Those denials are not a bad thing, she didn't do anything wrong. She asked for a visa, they said no. Deal done.

5) Does my veteran status help at all? Will writing to my congressmen help at all?

No and NO

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

@baron555

Great! Thanks! I've been working feverishly all day trying to get all the paperwork ready. Also waiting for Mar 1st (tmr) for the new form since the current one expires today. Probably the same thing but better safe than sorry. =o)

-J

as i have read and many visa lawyers have tell everything goes by GROSS not net income and being self-employed and I use my ssn for business and my business is my name makes the gross easier to prove ;) might have to send a dba show you are owner imo

Timeline

Congrats on your engagement...like others have said you MUST locate your ex and determine your divorce status before anything else can even be contemplated. Wish you all the best

Thanks! I was about to pay an arm and a leg to locate divorce records. So I found an old email and was able to locate the ex. Found out I'm still married so gotta do the papers to get that done. Hopefully not another 60 days =(

-J

as i have read and many visa lawyers have tell everything goes by GROSS not net income and being self-employed and I use my ssn for business and my business is my name makes the gross easier to prove ;) might have to send a dba show you are owner imo

Great!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Alrighty. This is very state dependent, even after you get divorced. Check if there's a waiting time from divorced until you can get married. I think it has been mentioned but it's important concerning the timing of you filing the petition.

Sorry you found out you have to go through the divorce now but am glad you located the ex-wife.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Timeline

Alrighty. This is very state dependent, even after you get divorced. Check if there's a waiting time from divorced until you can get married. I think it has been mentioned but it's important concerning the timing of you filing the petition.

Sorry you found out you have to go through the divorce now but am glad you located the ex-wife.

So used to FB... wish there was a "Like This" button lol...

Yeah... I might goto Vegas to get a divorce =o)

-J

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It sucks for you that you now have to wait for your divorce before you can even start the K1 :(

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

So used to FB... wish there was a "Like This" button lol...

Yeah... I might goto Vegas to get a divorce =o)

-J

Hehe! That would be a thrill with a drive thru divorce :)

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

Timeline

Hehe! That would be a thrill with a drive thru divorce :)

I used to live in Vegas... now to re"establish" residency there in a short amount of time and initiate the divorce... Didn't know most divorces had a "cool-down" period... Why can't it be simple, especially mutual consent. I haven't seen or contacted my ex in over 10 years...

-J

Timeline

I used to live in Vegas... now to re"establish" residency there in a short amount of time and initiate the divorce... Didn't know most divorces had a "cool-down" period... Why can't it be simple, especially mutual consent. I haven't seen or contacted my ex in over 10 years...

-J

Not most, there are a few. Hoping this is up-to-date, and in that case, you can see which state laws apply to you; http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/divorce_laws/divorce_and_remarriage/index.shtml

Anything beyond that, I'd let someone else answer. I've never been divorced and don't have first hand experience. Good luck though - and hoping for a speedy journey for you : )

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Not most, there are a few. Hoping this is up-to-date, and in that case, you can see which state laws apply to you; http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/divorce_laws/divorce_and_remarriage/index.shtml

Anything beyond that, I'd let someone else answer. I've never been divorced and don't have first hand experience. Good luck though - and hoping for a speedy journey for you : )

Thanks for the link :)

I can't even start the K1 right now because my ex of 12+ years decides she wants me to hand the paper in person. I really dont see a necessity for that and anticipating drama (i dunno why)... On the flip side I can't afford to waste time with doing a 1 sided divorce. Arrrghhh! Lol...

-J

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.