emadhm

typing error on my Social Security card

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I've just received my SSN and discovered that my name is spelled incorrectly on it , I went to the Social security office and they advised that the data were filled by immigration and they can not do anything about it and i have to go back to immigration to correct this error ... did anyone face this situation before ?? and what are the next step i should do about it?? and if it shall affect my name on the expected green card ??

Hi everyone,

I've just received my SSN and discovered that my name is spelled incorrectly on it , I went to the Social security office and they advised that the data were filled by immigration and they can not do anything about it and i have to go back to immigration to correct this error ... did anyone face this situation before ?? and what are the next step i should do about it?? and if it shall affect my name on the expected green card ??

Locate the nearest CBP office and make your case. Go with your passport and I-94.

....All your Negative Energy Feeds Cancer!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everyone,

This happened to my husband when he first got here. We spent quite a bit of time at the local social security office. All because they didn't put the complete name that was on his visa and greencard once he got it.

AND of course the social security office said that Homeland Security has to change what they have. What a crock of BULL!! Trust me, go to the social security office and MAKE them put EXACTLY what is on his greencard/visa stamp!! They tried to tell me that his name was too long and would fit on the SS card. Another crock!!! If you don't get it fixed now it will cause major trouble all the way down the line to everything from getting put on the checking account to getting a driver's license.

Stay on them at the social security office. They like to think they are over homeland security, but trust me, SS office has to adhere to the name on the greencard.

Good luck with this. Been there, done that.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Timeline

Hi everyone,

You're local social security office should be able to file for the correction. Make sure you have your passport with you to show proof of the correct legal name. After arriving my husband and i went to s.s. office to get his social; the lady asked if he applied for it through the immigration process I said yes but we prefer it to do it again at the office since it's faster; so she did it again and in one week he got his social. (they should be able to make these name corrections for you at the local office...)

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Double check his Greencard to make sure his name is correct there.

Carlo's (my step-son) paperwork had his name correct everywhere right up to and including the Visa, On his Greencard they split his first name (Gian Carlo) and listed his name as "Gian C XXXXXX" Instead of "Gian Carlo D XXXXXX" (those darn Filipino double first names). We didn't notice it until we received his SSN Card which showed his name as "Gian C XXXXXX". Now we need to get both corrected but SSA says the Greencard needs to be corrected first. Since he's only 7 years old that's not a problem for us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Bring your passport back to the social security office. talk to them. show them your visa with the right name on it. Also show them your name on your passport which matches your name on your visa. They should be able to correct it. I had the same issue. I got my name corrected at the social security office later when I and my wife went there to change her name.

Timeline

and here is the updated situation...

I went today to the immigration office to check my name and their records and they were fine and OK , I hope to receive my green card with my name correct on it.

they advised to check social security again , or use for I-90 to request a name change as a last resort .

i think that i should wait for the green card to arrive then i will take it to Social security office and ask for a name correction ... what do you think ?? also , do you know an office with more collaborative employees serving New jersey ?? the woman i met before had a short temper and did not say anything but go to the airport officer again :blush:

Timeline

I remembered another point while i was at the SS office.... the employee said " that it is too early to do something about it and i should go back to immigration "" any idea what does this mean ?? I arrived in the US 10 days ago.... does this mean anything??

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

no buddy it doesnt mean anything they just wanna get rid of u...just wait for the green card & go back n shove it in their faces...p.s i hope u mean when u said they misspelled ur name, compares to passport not to wat u think it should be?! because the name on the passport is the only thing legit to the government

---------Don't just cross the line...BURN IT!----------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.