abu&ruki

Consular report of birth Abroad

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I applied for a consular report of birth abroad for my son who was born recntly and thank God he was given the US Pasport and a Cosuler Report of Birth Abroad Certificate.I asked the embassy how i can obtain a social security card for him and the said i have to do this on my own.So they maid a certified copy of both the passport and the Cosular Report of birth for me and asked me to bring it here in the US and present it to the Social Security office and they will issue me one.But when i did,the lady i spoke totold me i need to bring the original of the documents given to me by the embassy and the baby to the social security office before they can be able to help me.

I just want to know if some one has gone through this and whether this person was able to get the social security card without being asked to bring the baby and the originals .

The reason is the mother is my fiancee whom i have filled for a K1 visa for and she is now in the process of obtaining her visa and had not yet even been scheduled for interview yet.

So please help or tell me what to do if someone on this forum has been able to get the social Seurty card without having these problems.Meanwhile their website says they accept certified copies from the government agency that issue them.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Social Security Number Application (SS-5)

Please download and complete form SS-5 (PDF 206 KB). Don't send it to Social Security; instead, for everyone except U.S. military personnel, submit the completed form to the Embassy along with the other forms and documents needed for your child's report of birth and first U.S. passport. U.S. military parents must apply separately for a Social Security Number, through designated military channels, not through the Embassy.

This was listed on a few US embassy sites. I dont see it on the Accra one. But I would double check with Social Security by speaking to a manager.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from K3 to General Immigration related forums as not spousal visa related *****

In our case, we got the SSN for the twins in the post, a few weeks after the CRBA appointment, to our foreign address. How long has it been since that appointment?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

**** Moving from K3 to General Immigration related forums as not spousal visa related *****

In our case, we got the SSN for the twins in the post, a few weeks after the CRBA appointment, to our foreign address. How long has it been since that appointment?

[/quot

we recieved the passport and the CRBA back in december 2011.

Timeline

Social Security Number Application (SS-5)

Please download and complete form SS-5 (PDF 206 KB). Don't send it to Social Security; instead, for everyone except U.S. military personnel, submit the completed form to the Embassy along with the other forms and documents needed for your child's report of birth and first U.S. passport. U.S. military parents must apply separately for a Social Security Number, through designated military channels, not through the Embassy.

This was listed on a few US embassy sites. I dont see it on the Accra one. But I would double check with Social Security by speaking to a manager.

Thank you so much for the response.I did exactly what you said and the embassy told me i just have to wait till i recieve the CRBA and the passport and they will give me directives as to how to obtain the SSN.And when they issued the Pasport and the CRBA documents they rather gave me the certified copies and said i should not take the originals with me .SO they said i should present it to the social security administration for the issuance of the card.

Thanks any way

Timeline

Also babies don't have to appear for SSN in the USA- their parents do it for them. The supervisor should be able to help you out. Good luck

Timeline

any luck today?

Yea , iwent there and demanded to speak to a supervisor as you advised.But believe it or not,the supervisor said yes the embassy is right and i am right so is the person i spoke to at the Office. But he said, things have changed,they formally accepted all those certified copies from the embassy but they stoped when people began to abuse the system.So he said they will no accept those coppies even if it came straight from te embassy .So he pleaded to me and said he understands what i feel,but there is nothing he could do right now than me submitting the originals to the embassy even if the baby is not avilable.

Things they requested includes the following:

1.The original of his US Passport.

2.The Original of the Cosular Report of Birth Abroad Certificate

3.the original of Both Parents Passport

4.Snd since the mother is not hear in the US,they might need a statement,affidavit or power of attorney from my fiancee(the mother) given me the authority to do this showing some consent.And this part makes me sick.She is not the US parent but i will just wait and pray that his mother who is my fiance who is now in the process of acquiring her visa .When she comes, we will then go there to do this.

Thanks guys for giving me the great ideas so far.

Timeline

My fiance's visa interview for K1 is on March 8th, we have all the documents except the new birth certificates, what are the chances that we will get the visa approved. I am planning on going to Ghana in two days to be there for the interview.

Timeline

My fiance's visa interview for K1 is on March 8th, we have all the documents except the new birth certificates, what are the chances that we will get the visa approved. I am planning on going to Ghana in two days to be there for the interview.

Depends but some recently had been approved pending the submission of the new one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.