faloak

Travel Overseas

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

1.We are going to fly to Asia this coming March. I heard the NOA letter will be suffice as substitute of GC which in process.

Is there anyone experience travel to Asia with the expired GC and NOA letter without any hassle?

Would the airline staff in Asia aware of this NOA? Or will it be any problem-if so then what should we do to avoid the hassle or delay at check-in point?

2.We heard nothing since last update that USCIS recieve our application and done BIO in Nov 2011- is it safe to fly in March considering RFE or Interview possibility. We filed at VSC in October.

Any input is much appreciated! Have a good Monday everyone!

I-751 ROC Timeline

10/21/11 ROC sent

10/25/11 NOA

11/06/11 BIO

07/30/12 RFE Received

08/13/12 RFE Respond

09/04/12 Approval

09/17/12 GC Received

Hi everyone!

1.We are going to fly to Asia this coming March. I heard the NOA letter will be suffice as substitute of GC which in process.

Is there anyone experience travel to Asia with the expired GC and NOA letter without any hassle?

Would the airline staff in Asia aware of this NOA? Or will it be any problem-if so then what should we do to avoid the hassle or delay at check-in point?

2.We heard nothing since last update that USCIS recieve our application and done BIO in Nov 2011- is it safe to fly in March considering RFE or Interview possibility. We filed at VSC in October.

Any input is much appreciated! Have a good Monday everyone!

Hi

I travelled twice with my expired GC and NOA letter, no problem. Make sure to take your expired GC and the original NOA..be there earlier in case the staff questioned it. Some staff are new to it, but as soon as they speak with other staff and supervisors things go ok. In my experience, I had some questions, they made copies but things went ok. Delay was not more than 20 minutes till they figure it out.

Good luck

- Delivered to VSC 05/09/11

- NOA receipt date 05/09/11

- Check cashed 05/12/11

- Biometrics letter in the mail 06/02/11

- Biometrics appointment 06/17/11

- Approved 01/27/12

Hi

I travelled twice with my expired GC and NOA letter, no problem. Make sure to take your expired GC and the original NOA..be there earlier in case the staff questioned it. Some staff are new to it, but as soon as they speak with other staff and supervisors things go ok. In my experience, I had some questions, they made copies but things went ok. Delay was not more than 20 minutes till they figure it out.

Good luck

Thanks so much for the reply. Did you actually travel to Asia as well? Yes..was thinking have to get there earlier in case they question about the expired GC etc. I hope everything goes smoothly. It will be a very long flight so I just wanted to make sure that there will be no more other stuff to deal with.

I-751 ROC Timeline

10/21/11 ROC sent

10/25/11 NOA

11/06/11 BIO

07/30/12 RFE Received

08/13/12 RFE Respond

09/04/12 Approval

09/17/12 GC Received

Thanks so much for the reply. Did you actually travel to Asia as well? Yes..was thinking have to get there earlier in case they question about the expired GC etc. I hope everything goes smoothly. It will be a very long flight so I just wanted to make sure that there will be no more other stuff to deal with.

No problem, no it wasn't Asia..however I would still go early, I am sure you are not the first one who traveled with an expired GC.

Have a safe trip :thumbs:

- Delivered to VSC 05/09/11

- NOA receipt date 05/09/11

- Check cashed 05/12/11

- Biometrics letter in the mail 06/02/11

- Biometrics appointment 06/17/11

- Approved 01/27/12

No problem, no it wasn't Asia..however I would still go early, I am sure you are not the first one who traveled with an expired GC.

Have a safe trip :thumbs:

Thanks !

Yeah I've read some other thread about travel with expired GC to some countries but not to Asias, just thinking our friend over there might not too familiar with this expired GC and extension letter. But I will bring the original NOA, GC and Marriage Cert (just in case- cuz the last name on GC is different than the one on the passport).

Hope for the best.

I-751 ROC Timeline

10/21/11 ROC sent

10/25/11 NOA

11/06/11 BIO

07/30/12 RFE Received

08/13/12 RFE Respond

09/04/12 Approval

09/17/12 GC Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Taking the marriage certificate is a must, when traveling anywhere. I insisted that my wife carry it with her at all times, even when we weren't traveling.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Carried the expired GC and extension letter. The airline staff didn't check the dates or the letter. USCIS saw the GC and letter. FYI - We didn't have the I-551 stamp on the passport.

We didn't go to Asia, but it should be a problem. We just got back last week from Mexico. We had a copy of the marriage certificate as well but not the original.

K-1 Timeline:

Oct 06, 2008 - I-129F sent to USCIS

Jul 08, 2009 - Interview at Montreal Consulate

Jul 10, 2009 - US Entry. POE: Buffalo, NY

Jul 15, 2009 - Marriage

AOS Timeline:

July 29, 2009 - AOS, AP, and EAD sent to USCIS

July 30, 2009 - USCIS receives Documents.

Aug 05, 2009 - Received NOA Dated July 31.

Aug 10, 2009 - Biometrics letter. Appointment date: Sep 2nd.

Aug 13, 2009 - AOS transferred to CSC.

Sep 02, 2009 - Biometrics done at Elizabeth, NJ location.

Sep 16, 2009 - Received emails of EAD(Card production Ordered) and AP(Approval notice sent).

Sep 21, 2009 - Received 2nd email of EAD(Card production Ordered)

Sep 22, 2009 - Received AP.

Sep 26, 2009 - Received EAD Card

Oct 19, 2009 - AOS transferred back to NJ.

Nov 05, 2009 - RFE for I-693

Dec 02, 2009 - USCIS receives I-693 vaccination supplement.

Jan 06, 2010 - RFE for Entire I-693 needed since CBP/USCIS loses our documents.

Feb 04, 2010 - I-693 received by USCIS.

Feb 17, 2010 - Green Card in mail!!!

Conditions Timeline:

Nov 17, 2011 - Sent I-751 application to Vermont office.

Nov 22, 2011 - I-751 Receipt Notice/Extension letter sent by USCIS.

Jan 04, 2012 - Biometrics done at Elizabeth, NJ location.

Aug 31, 2012 - GC approved.

Sep 11, 2012 - GC mailed. USCIS says we should receive within 7 days

Taking the marriage certificate is a must, when traveling anywhere. I insisted that my wife carry it with her at all times, even when we weren't traveling.

Did you carry the original or the copy? I plan on carrying the original ( I have also scanned the original on my PC)-just in case

Carried the expired GC and extension letter. The airline staff didn't check the dates or the letter. USCIS saw the GC and letter. FYI - We didn't have the I-551 stamp on the passport.

We didn't go to Asia, but it should be a problem. We just got back last week from Mexico. We had a copy of the marriage certificate as well but not the original.

Thanks for your valuable info! I don't plan on getting the stamp either cuz I think the Extension letter would be enough. I guess it should not be a problem and I good to go and hoping when I come back my GC is in the mail or at least approved! :thumbs:

I-751 ROC Timeline

10/21/11 ROC sent

10/25/11 NOA

11/06/11 BIO

07/30/12 RFE Received

08/13/12 RFE Respond

09/04/12 Approval

09/17/12 GC Received

• 1 month later...

Now I am back to the States!

When checked-in in Asia, the airline system rejected my expired GC so the staff asked me about that, then I handed her the extension letter and she entered 2013 as the expiration date and it went through.So I board on plane!

When entering US Port of Entry, the CBP officer sent me to "Need More Review" room at the airport for more details about my status (WTH!) There were more than 3 CBP Officer in that room there but they were not doing their job as expected, they were chatting to each other , laughing and talked about one gentleman who got mad at them when he needed to be held there for I guess a very long time.

Then I saw a woman who I believed was a supervisor then told her that I have a connecting flight that is about to board, then she said Oh ok..I will have someone to take care of you. Then she walked in to the crowd where 3 or 4 officer were chatting and laughing. But she did not appointed one of them immediately instead she also joint the chit chat and gossiping about that one gentleman.

I started to worry if I would missed my flight. But then 5-7 mins later one officer called my name and have the information checked on the system. Then he said: Oh you have filed the I-751 back in October, then I said: Yes. After that he asked me when did I get married so I answered him.

Then he said :Ok..we are done now. You are good to go now.

Now I am waiting for another Biometric Appointment letter. We received another Bio Letter stated that FBI was unable to process my fingerprint card. My husband did send back the original letter to ASC office and to USCIS according to the instruction on the letter for re-scheduling. But it has been 2 weeks since he sent it off, we have not received the new Bio Appt. letter.

Do you guys think it is ok to wait or should we just go to the ASC Office and asked them if they have receive the re-scheduling letter or have them take my fingerprint as walk-in?

I-751 ROC Timeline

10/21/11 ROC sent

10/25/11 NOA

11/06/11 BIO

07/30/12 RFE Received

08/13/12 RFE Respond

09/04/12 Approval

09/17/12 GC Received

Hi there, may we know which port of entry in US that the officer sent you to the 'room'?

Now I am back to the States!

When checked-in in Asia, the airline system rejected my expired GC so the staff asked me about that, then I handed her the extension letter and she entered 2013 as the expiration date and it went through.So I board on plane!

When entering US Port of Entry, the CBP officer sent me to "Need More Review" room at the airport for more details about my status (WTH!) There were more than 3 CBP Officer in that room there but they were not doing their job as expected, they were chatting to each other , laughing and talked about one gentleman who got mad at them when he needed to be held there for I guess a very long time.

Then I saw a woman who I believed was a supervisor then told her that I have a connecting flight that is about to board, then she said Oh ok..I will have someone to take care of you. Then she walked in to the crowd where 3 or 4 officer were chatting and laughing. But she did not appointed one of them immediately instead she also joint the chit chat and gossiping about that one gentleman.

I started to worry if I would missed my flight. But then 5-7 mins later one officer called my name and have the information checked on the system. Then he said: Oh you have filed the I-751 back in October, then I said: Yes. After that he asked me when did I get married so I answered him.

Then he said :Ok..we are done now. You are good to go now.

Now I am waiting for another Biometric Appointment letter. We received another Bio Letter stated that FBI was unable to process my fingerprint card. My husband did send back the original letter to ASC office and to USCIS according to the instruction on the letter for re-scheduling. But it has been 2 weeks since he sent it off, we have not received the new Bio Appt. letter.

Do you guys think it is ok to wait or should we just go to the ASC Office and asked them if they have receive the re-scheduling letter or have them take my fingerprint as walk-in?

Don't worry !.. It will come within this month. Btw, You can not go to ASC without a Bio letter, they will refuse you.

Just wait & be patient ....

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Hi there, may we know which port of entry in US that the officer sent you to the 'room'?

It was LAX

Don't worry !.. It will come within this month. Btw, You can not go to ASC without a Bio letter, they will refuse you.

Just wait & be patient ....

Thanks !

Actually I called the 1-800 number and the lady told me to just try going to the ASC and ask them wether they have recive the re-scheduling letter or I may ask them if I can have my biometric taken (walk-in)

We have the copy of the second Bio letter though so I might just go there and we'll se what happen then.

I-751 ROC Timeline

10/21/11 ROC sent

10/25/11 NOA

11/06/11 BIO

07/30/12 RFE Received

08/13/12 RFE Respond

09/04/12 Approval

09/17/12 GC Received

Then you can go anytime as long as you have the Bio App letter in your hand, you can do walk-in also. Make sure your fingers do not have cuts & do not have band aids:)

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.