V + M

Booking an interview at Montreal…

97 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

Just require some clarification. I just sent my packet 3 to Montreal. I was under the impression that Montreal or NVC scheduled the interview for you and then notified you via email or snail mail. Is this not the case? Is it up to the K1 applicant/beneficiary to schedule the interview?

If someone can shed some light on this, it would be very much appreciated.

Thxs

Moe

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

Just require some clarification. I just sent my packet 3 to Montreal. I was under the impression that Montreal or NVC scheduled the interview for you and then notified you via email or snail mail. Is this not the case? Is it up to the K1 applicant/beneficiary to schedule the interview?

Thxs

Moe

If you are a K1 visa they will notify you that your packet 4 is ready... which means you are ready to schedule an interview, which you do by going on the website. If you are already married, it is a different process and they give you the date of your interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

Thxs

Moe

While Montreal will schedule interviews for some visa types, K1s must schedule themselves using the CSC website.

The K1 guide to Montreal has some really good instructions on how the process works. And when you receive packet 4 in the mail -- there are instructions there as well. You can see an example of Packet 4 here: Page 1 Page 2 Page 3.

The CSC website is where you will also sign up for a DHL office to pick up your visa after the interview (or to forward on to your address for an additional fee). This step is also really important. If you dont sign up for one, they won't have anywhere to send it to!

Timeline

Thanks Frostina and Megusi....I need to really pay attention more when I read the threads...it's funny because someone else referred me to the links below...my bad...sorry.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nothing is assured in the immigration process. It'd be nice if it was. One Canadian VJ member just got out of advanced processing which was nearly 3 months long... That is, she went to the interview, got approved and had to wait 3 months for her visa to be printed and mailed back to her.

It's best to either plan your wedding far, far in advance or not plan it at all until your visa is in your hand. Until then your wedding date is a moving target. I know this sounds harsh but it's true, there is potential for delays at every step throughout the process, including after the interview. I wouldn't trust a lawyer who gave you a hard and fast date because no such thing exists.

We were working off the assumption the lawyer was an expert in her field of work...how silly of us, haha. Haven't been impressed with her assistance (or lack thereof!) at all, which seems to be a common theme for immigration lawyers around here. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I suspect I could have used Google as a better resource :/

While I am disappointed with the wait, I'm not too worried, because worst case scenario we have a lovely expensive party with our friends where I happen to wear a white dress and get a lot of attention, and then get legally married whenever the darn visa DOES come in.

Edited by satchmo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Montreal is hopeless. :( I have been trying for two weeks straight and nothing. Has anyone been able to find a date recently, just to give me hope? I’m starting to believe that “There are no available appointments at this time.” will never change from my screen. Thanks guys.

Timeline

I just got confirmation from DOS that packet 4 is on its way out. I tried booking with Montreal as well and no luck. For those of us trying to book, it's too bad we couldn't exchange email addresses or send a text. This way, we can give everyone a heads up.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

Montreal is hopeless. :( I have been trying for two weeks straight and nothing. Has anyone been able to find a date recently, just to give me hope? I’m starting to believe that “There are no available appointments at this time.” will never change from my screen. Thanks guys.

Not that it means anything, but I had logged on on January 27th and appointments were available 38 days from that date. So I'd like to think another batch will open up in the next two weeks (but that's just my hopeful math, haha).

I completely understand your frustration (L) And on top of it, it's just a poorly designed system! Bureaucracy, go figure :rolleyes:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not that it means anything, but I had logged on on January 27th and appointments were available 38 days from that date. So I'd like to think another batch will open up in the next two weeks (but that's just my hopeful math, haha).

I completely understand your frustration (L) And on top of it, it's just a poorly designed system! Bureaucracy, go figure :rolleyes:

Hi satchmo,

This is very helpful, thank you. Do you know if it matters if under “trip purpose” I should use Permanently Immigrate to the United States (Fiance – K1/K2) or Ready to schedule. Just want to make sure I get one quick! :)

For everyone who would like to exchange email or text, please pm for deets.

Edited by Matty's girl

Timeline

Hey Satchmo,

How did you find out that appointments were available 38 days from that date?

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

Hi satchmo,

This is very helpful, thank you. Do you know if it matters if under “trip purpose” I should use Permanently Immigrate to the United States (Fiance – K1/K2) or Ready to schedule. Just want to make sure I get one quick! :)

For everyone who would like to exchange email or text, please pm for deets.

My routine is to check the Fiance(e) one first, then the Ready to Schedule, and both have been unavailable since I started looking on Feb 17th.

moemac59, where it is now saying "There are no available appointments at this time" is said "Next Available appointment is 38 Day(s)"

EDIT: I've attached my proof, haha. I wish I had just booked at that time (this screen cap was taken on Jan. 27) but I hadn't received Packet 4 yet and was worried it would mess things up, somehow. I also didn't know there was such a scarcity of appointments. The thing that slays me, is they could at least say 100 days, or 3 years, something ANYTHING instead of just nothing. It's very discouraging to just come up against the brick wall of "None".

post-127247-0-77283200-1330633555_thumb.jpg

Timeline

My routine is to check the Fiance(e) one first, then the Ready to Schedule, and both have been unavailable since I started looking on Feb 17th.

moemac59, where it is now saying "There are no available appointments at this time" is said "Next Available appointment is 38 Day(s)"

EDIT: I've attached my proof, haha. I wish I had just booked at that time (this screen cap was taken on Jan. 27) but I hadn't received Packet 4 yet and was worried it would mess things up, somehow. I also didn't know there was such a scarcity of appointments. The thing that slays me, is they could at least say 100 days, or 3 years, something ANYTHING instead of just nothing. It's very discouraging to just come up against the brick wall of "None".

Did you make your payment yet? I was unable to and now when I try to pay over the phone, it says that my credit card is invalid. When I registered for DHL, it didn't give me a payment option so now I don't know what to do.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

Did you make your payment yet? I was unable to and now when I try to pay over the phone, it says that my credit card is invalid. When I registered for DHL, it didn't give me a payment option so now I don't know what to do.

And also what about the date of approval on the NOA 2? Mine expires on June 1, 2012. Do I have to contact NVC to get that extended if I have not gotten an interview by that point?

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

I have not paid (I assumed this step came after you selected the interview), and my NOA2 expires March 28th :/

My lawyer said that deadlines are automatically extended, and not to worry about it. Someone with more experience can probably inform you better though, as I've completely lost confidence in my lawyer.

In the FAQ on the site where we make the appointment (or try, at least) it says that if there are no appointments available, you won't be able to get through to the next step where you can make payment. I'm assuming that once the appointments open up, we'll be able to pay online. Hoping anyway.

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.