bnr

Moving to Norway, advice appreciated

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello,

Any advice regarding our situation would be appreciated.

My Norwegian husband has a 10 yr GC. We plan to move to Norway Sept 2012 for 3 - 4 years. I read he cannot hold a GC if he is out of the country for more than 2 yrs (with the repermit visa...I think that is what it is called). What would better our chances in getting a smooth re-entry to the US after this much time away? Should he still apply for the two yr re-entry permit even though we will be gone longer ? Worst case scenario, does this mean we have to re-do the GC process all over again when we return?

Thank U!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello,

Any advice regarding our situation would be appreciated.

My Norwegian husband has a 10 yr GC. We plan to move to Norway Sept 2012 for 3 - 4 years. I read he cannot hold a GC if he is out of the country for more than 2 yrs (with the repermit visa...I think that is what it is called). What would better our chances in getting a smooth re-entry to the US after this much time away? Should he still apply for the two yr re-entry permit even though we will be gone longer ? Worst case scenario, does this mean we have to re-do the GC process all over again when we return?

Thank U!

Can he apply for citizenship?

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I think it is possible to apply and get another Re-Entry Permit (REP or form i-131) after the first one. This requires that he apply from within the US and attend the biometrics appt, a 2nd 2-year REP should cover your timeframe away. I've heard of multiple REP's back-to-back but have no experience here, try to search for these experiences.

Also note that the re-entry permit alone may not be sufficient in protecting against 'abandoned residency', a few ties (financial, personal, trips back) would be a good idea as well to demonstrate an 'intent to reside in the US'. There is ample info about this here on VJ.

Edited by gnasa

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I think it is possible to apply and get another Re-Entry Permit (REP or form i-131) after the first one. This requires that he apply from within the US and attend the biometrics appt, a 2nd 2-year REP should cover your timeframe away. I've heard of multiple REP's back-to-back but have no experience here, try to search for these experiences.

Also note that the re-entry permit alone may not be sufficient in protecting against 'abandoned residency', a few ties (financial, personal, trips back) would be a good idea as well to demonstrate an 'intent to reside in the US'. There is ample info about this here on VJ.

My situation is related to re-entry into US. Both my husband (US Citizen) and I (PR)have been on 3-year work assignments in China since October 2011. We returned to US in Dec 2011 for Christmas and was told by immigration officer at airport that it is a good idea to get a re-entry permit. Needless to say since I didn't get one prior to our departure, it has complicated things now that we are being overseas. My concerns are whether or not I should be worried when I return to US in July (I will be away from US for 7 months by that time). I am planning to apply for the re-entry permit upon my next return but I have been reading all different articles and guidelines, including those on USCIS site, it is so difficult to determine just how risky the situation is. We do not want to spend unnecessary money if we don't have to but we certainly do not want to get into trouble at border either. Any suggestions/personal experience will be appreciated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.