May

Sponsored Step Son

12 posts in this topic

Hi all...

I am hoping you will help me or at least answer some questions for a bit of a different situation.

Just a little background. 4 years ago I was married and then sponsored my husband and step son to receive a green card. My husband received his temp card approved at the first interview in September 2009 then in September 2011 received his 10year. My stepsons was rejected in September because of paperwork issues, but was accepted in April 2010.

Almost two years ago I sponsored my step son (whom I have never adopted) to become a US Greencard older. His green card is about to expire as it was under the two year exception.

Since I originally sponsored him, he ran away November 2010 (1 1/2 years ago) and is now living in Detroit, MI. Dropped out of school and is working under the table (for what I hear).... he also has not made the best choices in over recreational avenues in life. He has not been arrested (again that I am aware of)

His father and I are still married and are very happy, however the relationship with this child has fallen completely apart and he is very mean to us. He turned 18 in September.

He is now calling me demanding I sign this form. I am just wondering what happens if I don't (do I even have a choice), does he have resources to get his own renewal or start to process over with another sponsor, what my liabilities are with the situation if I do (financial and other wise)

Thank you for your help :)

C

Looking at the instructions for the form, a child can apply for removal of conditions separate from their parent.

I would say it's up to you and your husband as to where you go from here, but I'm not an expert. You could always make an infopass appointment and see what they say.

It would be a hard decision to make and I wish you both all the best.

Edited by hikergirl

Thank you..

It is a very very hard situation. We never thought we would be dealing with any of the things we have with this child. And now this....

I am having a real hard time with making a decision.

I dont want to be the reason anything goes wrong with his imm. process..... But I also don't to be liable for all of his bad decisions. And if I let him abuse (verbally) me into doing this it will only make him think he can always bully people around.... which he already thinks he can do. I mean I went from loving this kid like he was my own to him telling me to go get "you know what" .... and calling me a b word and telling me to stay out of his f life..... and now demanding me to sign this paper....

It really is so hard. :(

Would love others advise.

Edited by May

Bumping this up to see if any others have some advise for me.

Or should I just call a Lawyer? Does anyone know of any they can suggest in the Michigan area that would possibly give me some free advise?

He (the step son) texted me again last night not saying very nice things. :(

Thank again to all.

Bumping this up to see if any others have some advise for me.

Or should I just call a Lawyer? Does anyone know of any they can suggest in the Michigan area that would possibly give me some free advise?

He (the step son) texted me again last night not saying very nice things. :(

Thank again to all.

Why can't the father sign the form, he is a LPR. Maybe the father and son need to go in for counseling, should the son be given the right to continue his residence as a LPR.

You are laready on the hook for the 864, from the 2year conditional GC. So the only way you will be off of the hook for the 864, would be that the son leaves the US or loses his GC status.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Can his biological mother sign it? She is a LPR...

Thank you for your suggesting but counseling is not going to happen. The son wants nothing to do with us.

He is speaking to and seeing his mother on a weekly basis.

If she does sign will that will allow his GC status to continue?

I thought the reason for the 2year conditional is because things can change? No?

Thanks

Filed: Country:
Timeline

He's 18 years old, why does he need to you to sign his ROC? He's no longer a minor, while his CGC was issued due to your sponsorship and marriage to his father I don't see how you're required to sign anything. I understand signing a joint ROC filing for your husband but this isn't that...

He's 18 years old, why does he need to you to sign his ROC? He's no longer a minor, while his CGC was issued due to your sponsorship and marriage to his father I don't see how you're required to sign anything. I understand signing a joint ROC filing for your husband but this isn't that...

I don't know. That is why I am asking. I did not know if he could or not now that he is no longer a minor. And then what it just automatic? That I am continued his sponsor?

I was wondering because I was not sure how I was going to prove a relationship with him since I have not seen him in so very long. We used to have stuff like I was the co signer on insurance and college info. But now that he has been gone there is nothing.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
I don't know. That is why I am asking. I did not know if he could or not now that he is no longer a minor. And then what it just automatic? That I am continued his sponsor?

I was wondering because I was not sure how I was going to prove a relationship with him since I have not seen him in so very long. We used to have stuff like I was the co signer on insurance and college info. But now that he has been gone there is nothing.

The ROC is technically the immigrants petition not yours. My understanding is that the US Citizen only needs to sign the I-751 if they are the Petitioner SPOUSE of the immigrant but I could be wrong.

The Affidavit of Support Sponsorship is something totally different. As long as he maintains his LPR Status you are on the hook for the Affidavit of Support until he works 40 qualifying quarters, naturalizes or dies.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

May, where are you looking to sign on this attached form. Which section do you think applies to you?

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-751.pdf

I am thinking and only thinking... that

A) under part 2, b would be chosen?

B) under part 4... would be my information

C) maybe I would sign under part 8

Still though wouldn't he need me regardless to fill out 4?

I am sorry if I seem daft to this. I never even thought this info would be something I needed to even know.

Thank you all though very much for your continued help. :)

I am thinking and only thinking... that

A) under part 2, b would be chosen?

B) under part 4... would be my information

C) maybe I would sign under part 8

Still though wouldn't he need me regardless to fill out 4?

I am sorry if I seem daft to this. I never even thought this info would be something I needed to even know.

Thank you all though very much for your continued help. :)

He would only need your information for part 4. You would not be signing under part 8, only he would sign there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.