Brad and Vika

B-2 Visa documentation

14 posts in this topic

Hello all - we are starting the application process for my MIL. It looks like the application (DS 160) is all done online now, and there is an agency in Ukraine (Kherson) that will help MIL through the application, attach a picture to it, etc.

My question is, for those who have SUCCESSFULLY brought a relative here on a B-2, what documentation did they (the USC or Resident relative) provide. Is it helpful to have an employment letter or bank letter from me, invitation/statement of support, etc. What do consular officers in Kiev like to see?

Thanks

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello all - we are starting the application process for my MIL. It looks like the application (DS 160) is all done online now, and there is an agency in Ukraine (Kherson) that will help MIL through the application, attach a picture to it, etc.

My question is, for those who have SUCCESSFULLY brought a relative here on a B-2, what documentation did they (the USC or Resident relative) provide. Is it helpful to have an employment letter or bank letter from me, invitation/statement of support, etc. What do consular officers in Kiev like to see?

Thanks

B-2 is a non-immigration visa, and does allow anyone to stay there for limited period only. Concern about Employment letter... how that person can work if he doesnt have work permit? Since B2 doesnt allow all these activities. Supporting doc are fine, but there would be rare chances when they want to see. Generally they would ask few questions and will make the decision. Most important thing is that person would need to show strong ties with their home country. CO like to see the honesty of the person and their real intention.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

My SO got one, but from the Moscow embassy... I've heard Kiev is a bit more difficult.

1. Bank statements. Obviously if you're broke do not include this.

2. Letter from my fam stating he was going to stay with us.

3. Letter from his employer, stating when he began to work, his salary, and how much vacation time he would use.

4. Visas from when he went to countries in the EU.

5. Letter from myself stating that he will not stay in the US since I live in Moscow as well.

They didn't even look at the docs. I think the only thing that mattered is that he had travelled around the EU before.

Brad/Vika,

Long time don't talk, hope you guys are doing great....

To answer your question, we were able to get a B2 visa for my MIL, it took 3 attempts after they finally issued her a visa.

I did provide my MIL with an Affidavit of Support plus a letter of invitation (none of those were considered nor looked at during the interviews).

She brought to the interviews with her:

1) Proof of employment/income.

2) Proof of her retirement (yes, she is retired but still works).

3) Passport.

Like I said, it took 3 attempts until she finally got it and a couple of emails from me to the Embassy after the 2nd attempt was denied.

I'll ask Nadiya tonight if there any other documents.

Good luck.

Joe

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
04/09/09 - Embassy Received
05/18/09 - Interview Passed/Visa Approved
05/21/09 - Visa Received (picked up at Fedex in Kiev)
05/28/09 - Entered U.S. via JFK
05/29/09 - Applied for SS#
06/08/09 - SS# Received in the mail
06/12/09 - Applied for a Marriage License
06/19/09 - Wedding Day
07/03/09 - SS# under new name received in the mail

AOS/EAD/AP
07/27/09 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent
07/31/09 - Package arrived in Chicago
08/03/09 - NOA for all 3 forms
08/27/09 - Case transferred to CSC
09/02/09 - Biometrics appointment - Done
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/14/09 - AP & EAD approved - Card Ordered
09/18/09 - AP Received in the mail
09/21/09 - EAD Card received in the mail
09/25/09 - AOS Approved
09/29/09 - Green Card Sent
10/02/09 - Green Card Received.
12/18/09 - Got my Drivers License.

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.
08/15/11- Biometrics appointment.
03/17/12- ROC Approved - No Interview.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

04/15/15 - Became a US Citizen

Brad/Vika,

Long time don't talk, hope you guys are doing great....

To answer your question, we were able to get a B2 visa for my MIL, it took 3 attempts after they finally issued her a visa.

I did provide my MIL with an Affidavit of Support plus a letter of invitation (none of those were considered nor looked at during the interviews).

She brought to the interviews with her:

1) Proof of employment/income.

2) Proof of her retirement (yes, she is retired but still works).

3) Passport.

Like I said, it took 3 attempts until she finally got it and a couple of emails from me to the Embassy after the 2nd attempt was denied.

I'll ask Nadiya tonight if there any other documents.

Good luck.

Joe

Thanks Joe, we hope you are well also. I keep hearing about the invitation letter being included, but not required. It is the other stuff that I keep hearing is helpful, but cannot find evidence of, that I am worried about. The agency that is helping MIL with the visa wants her to have a sizeable (for Ukraine) bank account, for example. That seems to be better than any statement from me.

Edited by Brad and Vika

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

My SO got one, but from the Moscow embassy... I've heard Kiev is a bit more difficult.

1. Bank statements. Obviously if you're broke do not include this.

2. Letter from my fam stating he was going to stay with us.

3. Letter from his employer, stating when he began to work, his salary, and how much vacation time he would use.

4. Visas from when he went to countries in the EU.

5. Letter from myself stating that he will not stay in the US since I live in Moscow as well.

They didn't even look at the docs. I think the only thing that mattered is that he had travelled around the EU before.

Amy - This was helpful, thanks. My MIL is visiting Prague soon, so she will have one recent EU visa. She was notified that her visa is approved. We keep hearing that EU travel + return is a big plus. My wife has the idea that I need to send all kinds of stuff - my pay stubs, SSN, employment letter, etc. From what I can gather, the Embassy doesn't want or need any of that.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know how much it helped but we sent a letter of invitation for my MIL as well as an e-mail to the embassy telling them that we were inviting her and would take care of all her expenses. We told them we would be picking her up at the airport and returning her there for her return flight. She got her visa on the first try in spite of no prior travel to the US or western Europe. My wife's brother and sister-in-law also got visas without difficulty the same way. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My parents' visas were approved last summer in Moscow (before even my K-1 was approved), my husband (fiance at that time) sent invitation letters for each of them, stating the purpose of their visit (our wedding) etc. and a copy of his passport - page with the picture and bio information (proof of citizenship).

My parents had:

letters from work for each of them, including income statements.

copy of my brother's birth certificate (my brother wasn't coming for the wedding, so he was one of my parents' ties to Russia - and the CO DID ask some questions about him).

copies of papers, which proved that they own an apartment, a car etc.

my dad's old passport with a Lithuanian visa.

a copy of NOA-2 (since I didn't have my visa at that point)

They didn't look at the papers. The CO asked a couple of questions about me and my husband (age, whether my husband had been to Russia or not and whether he could speak Russian or not), about my brother (where he lived and stuff like that), also the CO asked if my parents had been to any other countries (they only travelled to Ukraine (which doesn't count :)) and my dad went to Lithuania once, more than 10 years ago).

Edited by ONA

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Thanks again folks. I guess I hadn't thought about emailing the consular section. It also seems to be about MIL's records rather than anything we send. Good to know, and Vika was asking me to do an employemnt letter, bank letter, send tax returns, etc. I couldn't figure out what my tax situation last year might have to do with anything.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Thanks again folks. I guess I hadn't thought about emailing the consular section. It also seems to be about MIL's records rather than anything we send. Good to know, and Vika was asking me to do an employemnt letter, bank letter, send tax returns, etc. I couldn't figure out what my tax situation last year might have to do with anything.

Your tax situation has nothing to do with it. Your income has nothing to do with it. Your MIL's income might be helpful, since a decent stable income proves strong ties to Ukraine (and there are questions about occupation and income on DS-160).

All that your MIL has to do is to prove strong ties to Ukraine, that's why most of the additional papers should be about her.

Edited by ONA

Your tax situation has nothing to do with it. Your income has nothing to do with it. Your MIL's income might be helpful, since a decent stable income proves strong ties to Ukraine (and there are questions about occupation and income on DS-160).

All that your MIL has to do is to prove strong ties to Ukraine, that's why most of the additional papers should be about her.

Thought so. The information on the online application seems to be pivotal, but I can't see it without starting one myself. The agency helping her has this long list of documents they think are helpful, but some of it doesn't make much sense. For example, they suggest that MIL have a bank account with a decent balance in it (required for the Schengen visa she just got), but there is no such requirement that I could find for a B2. Every one in Ukraine seems to know that you can put money in, get an account document, then take the money out before you leave. I am sure the consular officers know that too, so how does it help?

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

(required for the Schengen visa she just got)

Her Schengen visa will be much more helpful than any bank statement :thumbs:

Her Schengen visa will be much more helpful than any bank statement :thumbs:

That is what we keep hearing. If the Schengen visa is used and return was on time, it holds serious weight with USCIS.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

My wife handled most of this and sent most of the documents others on here are posting. I proofread a letter she wrote that said something to the effect of "My mother will come visit for a few weeks then go home."

Done. It's not as hard as it used to be. Send what they ask for and don't worry about it.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.