Emerald

Poverty Guidelines/USA returning to USA after 5yrs

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

thank you for the replies, your all very helpful to a confused aussie....This is my confusion right here

So U.S. citizens do not count in household size? Or do they just not count for cosponsors?

My children are USC as we got all that completed when they were born through the consulate. Have their USC birth certificate, SSN, Passports etc.

Does that mean then that they arn't included on the household size? Or they are? Because my SIL said they are entitiled to medicaid etc as they are USC, me i wouldn't be as i'm not. So why do we need to prove support for them if they are entitled to USC benefits etc. Not that i'm going to land and claim everything for them, but my SIL said put them on medicad (i think thats what its called lol)

I read that in the poverty guidelines you don't include USC, but then everyone is saying you have to as it's everyone moving with you.... :unsure::blink::wacko: This is the part of the visa that is confuisng the ####### out of me.

If tey don't need to be included then it'e easier for us to meet the amount....... is it best to contact the US Consulate.

koolaidnman,

As zauberbloom observes, you and your child can live off the public dole should the need arise. Your wife cannot.

In any event, read the I-864 instructions.

Yodrak

Sorry to butt into your thread, but I have a similar situation. I have been out of the US for 2 years, and will return next year with my wife, and our 1 year old daughter, (who will be USC once I do the paperwork for her). My father will be co-sponsoring, since I have not been employed since I left the states.

After reading Yodrak's response "Even if Emerald's family is going to live with the proposed Joint Sponsor's family, they would no longer be included as Household Members the way the Final Rule and new I-864 are written.", my question is this:

My dad will only have to co-sponsor my wife, not my whole family? His income will only have to be high enough to cover her, am I understanding this correctly?

thank you for the replies, your all very helpful to a confused aussie....This is my confusion right here

So U.S. citizens do not count in household size? Or do they just not count for cosponsors?

My children are USC as we got all that completed when they were born through the consulate. Have their USC birth certificate, SSN, Passports etc.

Does that mean then that they arn't included on the household size? Or they are? Because my SIL said they are entitiled to medicaid etc as they are USC, me i wouldn't be as i'm not. So why do we need to prove support for them if they are entitled to USC benefits etc. Not that i'm going to land and claim everything for them, but my SIL said put them on medicad (i think thats what its called lol)

I read that in the poverty guidelines you don't include USC, but then it is saying you have to as it's everyone moving with you.... :unsure::blink::wacko: This is the part of the visa that is confuisng the ####### out of me.

If tey don't need to be included then it'e easier for us to meet the amount....... is it best to contact the US Consulate.

koolaidnman,

As zauberbloom observes, you and your child can live off the public dole should the need arise. Your wife cannot.

In any event, read the I-864 instructions.

Yodrak

Sorry to butt into your thread, but I have a similar situation. I have been out of the US for 2 years, and will return next year with my wife, and our 1 year old daughter, (who will be USC once I do the paperwork for her). My father will be co-sponsoring, since I have not been employed since I left the states.

After reading Yodrak's response "Even if Emerald's family is going to live with the proposed Joint Sponsor's family, they would no longer be included as Household Members the way the Final Rule and new I-864 are written.", my question is this:

My dad will only have to co-sponsor my wife, not my whole family? His income will only have to be high enough to cover her, am I understanding this correctly?

Filed: Timeline

Emerald,

The kids are included in your husband's Household - they live with him and he's supporting them and you. They would not be included in a Joint Sponsor's Household - they do not live with the Joint Sponsor and the Joint Sponsor is not taking on any responsibility to support them or your husband (as citizens we other USC taxpayers will do that), the JS is only signing on for your support.

Yodrak

I read that in the poverty guidelines you don't include USC, but then everyone is saying you have to as it's everyone moving with you.... This is the part of the visa that is confuisng the ####### out of me.

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

Yodrak,

THanks for that, i get it now, so i do count them for the poverty guidelines. Hubby has a job as soon as he lands and for as long as he wants it. His employer is also happy to provide the employment letter to state he'll have a job on arrival.

So i need to show support for 7 people? right if we co-sponsor. Sorry for all the questions, i'm reading up on as much as i can but you explain it in common sense terms.

Emerald,

The kids are included in your husband's Household - they live with him and he's supporting them and you. They would not be included in a Joint Sponsor's Household - they do not live with the Joint Sponsor and the Joint Sponsor is not taking on any responsibility to support them or your husband (as citizens we other USC taxpayers will do that), the JS is only signing on for your support.

Yodrak

I read that in the poverty guidelines you don't include USC, but then everyone is saying you have to as it's everyone moving with you.... This is the part of the visa that is confuisng the ####### out of me.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
So i need to show support for 7 people? right if we co-sponsor. Sorry for all the questions, i'm reading up on as much as i can but you explain it in common sense terms.

Hi Emerald:

Your husband, if he were the sole sponsor, would have to meet the requirements for him, you and your children (i.e. your household.)

If he cannot meet those, and you need a co-sponsor, that person would have to meet the requirements for their household plus one person (you.)

I hope that makes sense - it can all be a bit brain-frying when you start out :)

Best wishes.

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I have just found out that i can get 6months paid maternity leave from work, which means when i leave here for the USA i will be getting paid by my employer up untill september.

We are hoping to go by June 07 if all goes well with the visa stuff. WE are hoping to move in with my parents for 5months b4 we leave to save more money.

My question is. By june we should have around $20,000 saved to go, will still have to sell up some stuff and add on the money we save by living at mums. Which once debst are paid up should be around $4000. We will get another $4000-$5000 in AUgust from taxes.

My question is......

Will the consulate take into consideration i'll be getting paid while in the USA by my employer of $2000 a month up till september. (in which i should have a job there if we go in June if the one with my BIL's family falls through). OUr BIL father who is going to employ hubby is going to send a letter to us stating his position and salary.

Do we have to show the consulate that we have $29.000 now before we go, or can we show that we have $20,000 now and are due to get another $8000, in taxes and savings, plus i will be paid $2000 a month for 6mnths.

We really want to fly over by june to settle as our eldest daughter will be in school in August for her first year in the USA. SO we want to be settled by then.

ANy help??

Edited by Emerald

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.