P+J

The Medical Exam

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice regarding the medical exam. Is it easy coordinate the appointment for the medical exam with the interview date for the K1 Visa? My fiance is hoping to schedule the interview at the earliest possible date after NOA2, and we don't want scheduling the medical exam to limit any of our options for potential dates. Is this exam valid for a certain amount of time after completion? Can it be scheduled and completed prior to NOA2?

1/13/12 - I-129F Petition Submitted to Dallas Lockbox

1/18/12 - Received at Vermont Service Center

1/20/12 - NOA1

1/24/12 - Touched

2/09/12 - Touched

8/02/12 - NOA2 (197 Days After Received at VSC)

8/14/12 - Received at NVC (Assigned Case Number)

8/16/12 - Departed from NVC

8/20/12 - Arrived in US Embassy Kiev

8/28/12 - Information Received from Embassy via mail

9/12/12 - Interview (Approved)

9/19/12 - Visa Received via Elin Ltd. (FedEx)

10/05/12 - POE

Timeline

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice regarding the medical exam. Is it easy coordinate the appointment for the medical exam with the interview date for the K1 Visa? My fiance is hoping to schedule the interview at the earliest possible date after NOA2, and we don't want scheduling the medical exam to limit any of our options for potential dates. Is this exam valid for a certain amount of time after completion? Can it be scheduled and completed prior to NOA2?

According to this : http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/KEV-MED-MULT-0002-1111.pdf

We are also kiev (see specific link) It states you should schedule your appointment with Embassy case number begining in KEV. Since my fiancee has to travel a ways for interview... was thinking to schedule medical the day before interview... since exam is scheduled between 9:00 and 12:00, and records available same day after 3:00 pm. good luck.

You can't schedule the interview until you have your KEV number from NVC (National Visa Center). Your file will be sent to NVC by USCIS if I recall, and a few days later (usually) NVC assigns a number and forwards the file to the Embassy in Kiev. You can actually call NVC and get your KEV number. With the KEV number, you (or she) can call the Embassy and schedule an appointment.

I have read about people making exam appointments and interviews close together, but I am not sure about same day. My wife did them a week apart from Kherson. The problem usually seems to be getting all the test results on the same day. I think the clinic says they are available the same day after a certain time, but if anything goes wrong she won't have all the information required before the interview. Again, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think you can do it all in a day or two.

Edited to say that my wife just told me that one day is really not possible, but two days will work. She says the test results are not back until too late to make it same day.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Thanks guys! Yes. It looks like she would be required to provide the KEV # at the medical appointment, so I'll have no choice but to wait for NOA2. I guess I'll contact the National Visa Center as soon as I receive it, and hopefully then she'll be able to figure out all the scheduling. She's a village girl, so it's about 8.5 hours by train to reach Kiev. I'm hoping to make this as simple as possible for her. Tell your wife thank you for the two day info. We probably wouldn't have realized that at all, and if we tried to schedule things too close together that would not be good.

Edited by Paul86

1/20/12 - NOA1

1/24/12 - Touched

2/09/12 - Touched

10/05/12 - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In Kiev it is easy. Make your consulate appoitment first and then call the clinic and make an appointment for the day before the interview.

OR when you get your KEV number from the NVC just make the medical appointment. In Kiev you only need one or two days advance notice for the medical

No it cannot be done before the NOA2 and it is valid for one year for both the interview and the AOS.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You can't schedule the interview until you have your KEV number from NVC (National Visa Center). Your file will be sent to NVC by USCIS if I recall, and a few days later (usually) NVC assigns a number and forwards the file to the Embassy in Kiev. You can actually call NVC and get your KEV number. With the KEV number, you (or she) can call the Embassy and schedule an appointment.

I have read about people making exam appointments and interviews close together, but I am not sure about same day. My wife did them a week apart from Kherson. The problem usually seems to be getting all the test results on the same day. I think the clinic says they are available the same day after a certain time, but if anything goes wrong she won't have all the information required before the interview. Again, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think you can do it all in a day or two.

Edited to say that my wife just told me that one day is really not possible, but two days will work. She says the test results are not back until too late to make it same day.

You can do it the day before and that is USUALLY OK. Alla did hers one month vefore the interview as she was in Kiev on business anyway. Our sons did them the day before. No problems.

The clinic is separate from the consulate, they are not a US clinic and they make their own hours. If you are planning the "day before" thing, call the clinic first and make sure what days they are open. They will occasionally decide to take Wednesdays off for a few weeks. Never forget it IS Ukraine which means "hours of operation" are a suggestion, not a rule.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Always expect the unexpected. Lena scheduled her medical one month before her interview, and it was a good thing she did! She had to return for further testing the following week because the physician suspected something he saw on her chest film. Turned out to be negative. We were glad to have the one-month cushion.

September 7, 2009 - met Lena online
October 20, 2010 - First Meeting in Kharkov
Oct 20, 2010 - Engaged
December 3, 2010 - Filed I-129F
December 16, 2010 - NOA-1 notification
December 30, 2010 - Second Visit to Kharkov
February 8, 2011 - Touched
April 18, 2011 - NOA-2 notification
April 18, 2011 - Petition at NVC
April 25, 2011 - Medical Exam
April 26, 2011 - Received at Embassy
April 27, 28, 29, 2011 - Repeat medical (passed medical)
May 5, 2011 - Packet #4 received by mail in Ukraine
June 17, 2011 - Interview scheduled 9:00 AM
June 17, 2011 - Visa approved
June 18, 2011 - Interview Review posted
July 11, 2011 - POE - Detroit
July 17, 2011 - Applied for Marriage License
July 17, 2011 - Applied for SSN
August 17, 2011 - Married in Russian Orthodox Church - Detroit
November 11, 2011 - Submitted AOS/EAD/AP
January 3, 2012 - NOA 1
February 7, 2012 - Still no Biometrics appointment
February 10, 2012 - Service Request - no Biometrics appointment to date
February 29, 2012 - Infopass appointment Detroit (no Biometrics appointment letter - over 40 days)
March 9, 2012 - Biometrics
March 12, 2012 - EAD card production email received
March 23, 2012 - EAD received
March 24, 2012 - AOS interview appointment for April 24, 2012 (Detroit)
April 24, 2012 - AOS approved!
May 2, 2012 - 2 year provisional Green Card received
June 2, 2012 - First job - Russian Kindergarden in Oak Park, Michigan

Feb 5, 2014 - I-751 sent

Sept 19, 2014 - RFE

Nov 3, 2014 - Case moved to Detroit Field Office

Dec 29, 2014 - ROC Interview - Detroit Field Office

Feb 16, 2015 - I-751 approved after 2nd interview

Feb 18, 2015 - I 551 stamp in passport

Mar 5, 2015 - 10 year Permanent Resident Status

Timeline

We called this morning and got her interview date and turned around and called medical. They asked her when she wanted to come in for appointment. She said the day before the interview, which was good with them. They asked if she had a KEV number and asked her to bring in the paper that shows the number. They told her she has to go to one building and pay for the medical exam and then go to the building where they do the exam. It was 1000 UAH for her and 880 UAH for her son. So we had no problems whatsoever in making the appointment.

We called this morning and got her interview date and turned around and called medical. They asked her when she wanted to come in for appointment. She said the day before the interview, which was good with them. They asked if she had a KEV number and asked her to bring in the paper that shows the number. They told her she has to go to one building and pay for the medical exam and then go to the building where they do the exam. It was 1000 UAH for her and 880 UAH for her son. So we had no problems whatsoever in making the appointment.

Good news. Good luck on the interview. Are you going?

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

In Russia they do allow the medical to be done before the NOA-2. We did this because we were there in Moscow anyway and I was able to help Olya with the 2 kids doing it all the same day. You might want to call the embassy in Kyiv and ask them if it is also allowed there if that would help you. As others have pointed out the exam is good for one year for the visa and for the AOS. Good luck!

Timeline

Yes. It would be very convenient if something like this is possible. I had planned to visit the first week in April, and we will be in Kiev for the duration of my stay. She could complete the medical during my visit, and then at least it's an additional requirement out of the way. It would be great if somehow I received NOA2 in March..but I know that's a long shot...Does anyone know if the KEV# is an absolute requirement? The medical exam letter from the website does reference the KEV # under a section that says "Each applicant must present the following documentation."

1/20/12 - NOA1

1/24/12 - Touched

2/09/12 - Touched

10/05/12 - POE

Yes. It would be very convenient if something like this is possible. I had planned to visit the first week in April, and we will be in Kiev for the duration of my stay. She could complete the medical during my visit, and then at least it's an additional requirement out of the way. It would be great if somehow I received NOA2 in March..but I know that's a long shot...Does anyone know if the KEV# is an absolute requirement? The medical exam letter from the website does reference the KEV # under a section that says "Each applicant must present the following documentation."

Vika says that she doesn't think you need the KEV# for medical. She suggests your SO call the clinic though, just in case.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife had a nightmare experience with the medical and came within minutes of missing her interview because of the med exam. Sometimes they do require further testing and often that means going to some other hospital or different clinic to get the test(s).

Because of this possibility, I recommend scheduling the medical at least two days before the interview. I know many folks do the day before deal and have no problems...but if you happen to be one of the unlucky few, you could miss the interview. Just keep that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

In Russia they do allow the medical to be done before the NOA-2. We did this because we were there in Moscow anyway and I was able to help Olya with the 2 kids doing it all the same day. You might want to call the embassy in Kyiv and ask them if it is also allowed there if that would help you. As others have pointed out the exam is good for one year for the visa and for the AOS. Good luck!

So, would my fiancee call the embassy in Moscow to find out if she can go before the NOA2?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So, would my fiancee call the embassy in Moscow to find out if she can go before the NOA2?

E-mail is definitely better than a phone call. Unless policy changed since a year ago Moscow allows the medical to be done prior to NOA-2. We did our medicals Feb 1 and didn't get our NOA-2 till later in March. Everything worked out well with the interview. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.