acuratlsd

Immigration Lawyers..Worth it? Issues with them...

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I also want to put a plug in for free legal advice that seems to be readily available in many large cities with substantial immigrant populations. There are many free clinics (sometimes offered from churches or immigrant foundations) where immigration lawyers are are willing to talk you through your process and take a look at your final application. I personally used one of these services in Boston and think I benefited from it. Though I'm the first to admit it was not absolutely necessary, it gave me substantial peace of mind to know that somebody who processes this sort of paperwork for a living (and usually with much more complicated cases than mine) looked over everything I submitted. VJ has been invaluable to me, but there's something to be said by one-on-one contact. (Also, these lawyers are not in their field for the $$, but to help immigrants charitably.. therefore, they all seemed friendly!)

Note, in my experience, lawyers at these clinics do not charge a fee, nor do they compile your paperwork-- they do not sign your application. But they are happy to look it over for errors.

For anyone interested in the Boston area, here is a link: http://www.iiicenter.org/what-we-do/immigration-legal-services/

Also, I live with a bunch of law students who do nothing but study, study, study. I do not think they would appreciate some of the snide comments on this thread. Not every lawyer is in it for the money, and I doubt immigration-related law is a real breadwinner. You have to get into corporate law for that.

Thank you! Yes, Alla volunteers for a local organization for legal aid for immigrants (and others) as an interpretor. Google "Vermont Legal Aid" if you are in Vermont and need immigration assistance among other legal aid.

Also for those of you that have immigrated, consider offering your knowledge to others in your community. As a plug to my amazing wife...she volunteers for Vermont Legal Aid, Vermont Refugee Center (teaching ESL and as an interpreter) and the Ronald McDonald House in Burlington to help families with children in medical need. She actually volunteered for the hospital and they assigned her over at the Ronald McDonald house one night a week. (She hates McDonalds :lol: but she likes what they do for families)

She also has worked with Senator Leahy to try to change some immigration law (regarding vaccination requirements)

This really is not an area where lawyers are the best resource. People with experience in doing it are more useful.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I mentioned in prior posts but do not have a problem saving you money so I I will post again: This is my 2nd K1 process. My first being in 2007. I hired an Attorney as I was busy with my new job. Costs about $1600 I believe. Way over-priced as I talked with the Attorney only long enough for him to get my AMX and charge me. Then it was all his Assistants as normal with any Attorney. From what I learned here along with just starting my forms, it is easy just follow the guides and save your money. Unless you have issues that would require an Attorney to assists. But for the normal K1 Process just do it yourself. I felt my Attorney slowed me down and asked caused me more work as he went 200% when 110% like VJ shows is enough. Now I ask many questions because of my former process being so detailed. So IMO save your money!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Perhaps you have a point, but does it matter if they personally receive a response, or merely an accurate answer to their question? My point is that the search could be used to uncover a wealth of information contributed over the years, and written by some of our more experienced members. When just posting a question you are at the mercy of whomever is online at the time, and the information is spotty at best depending on the time of day.

There are other reasons too of course, its just good forum etiquette to make a search first. I realize that some topics are very unique and/or dont lend themselves to an easy search, but a simple search for "lawyer assistance" or "attorney assistance" returns a truckload of info (try it).

Heck, searching for 'attorney sucks' or 'bottom of the ocean' would even do it ! :lol:

You have to take into consideration that everything changes over time.

If a previous similar post has no been touched for weeks, months even most people will not be able to find it

or will not want to look at it since most of the data is outdated.

Yes, it is true that you can use the Google search but everything is outdated.

I have more of a secured feeling when I start the post and then everyone jumps in and you know for a fact that everything is almost up to the minuet updated.

I think putting in meta-tags like date, type, ect. will help out the search functions, but for the time being you can never go wrong with a fresh start.

USCIS

28 JUL 11 SENT I129F PACKAGE

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

05 AUG 11 NOA 1 NOTICE DATE

07 AUG 11 CHECK CASHED $340 *OUCH*

14 AUG 11 RECEIVED RETURN RECEIPT FROM USPS

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

19 DEC 11 LETTER FROM NVC STATING THE PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO MANILA

127 DAYS BETWEEN NOA 1 & NOA 2.

MANILA EMBASSY

13 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 SINGLE LETTER (QUENNY)

27 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 COPY TO ME HERE IN STATES

29 JAN 12 SENT MONEY $350 FOR VISA APPLICATION

30 JAN 12 MADE VISA APPOINTMENT

06 FEB 12 SENT PAPERS FOR VISA INTERVIEW (4.2lbs Through DHL, $140)

09 FEB 12 SENT MONEY FOR INTERVIEW & SEMINAR

13 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 1

14 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 2

05 MAR 12 VISA INTERVIEW AT MANILA, PHILIPPINES

I think putting in meta-tags like date, type, ect. will help out the search functions, but for the time being you can never go wrong with a fresh start.

I agree! The search engine could use some tuning. I usually dredge up content from 2006 in some of my searches, and the search returns are presented by relevancy vs. chronologically.

I did consider time sensitivity with this topic before telling him to search. The topic of "Use a lawyer or not" is one of those golden nuggets that stays the same throughout the years!

By the way, thanks for discussing this in a civil manner. It's nice to disagree politely on a topic without injecting big egos, and then finding ourselves on mostly common ground in the end. (Thanks Dr Phil!)

Edited by brian_n_phuong

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree! The search engine could use some tuning. I usually dredge up content from 2006 in some of my searches, and the search returns are presented by relevancy vs. chronologically.

I did consider time sensitivity with this topic before telling him to search. The topic of "Use a lawyer or not" is one of those golden nuggets that stays the same throughout the years!

By the way, thanks for discussing this in a civil manner. It's nice to disagree politely on a topic without injecting big egos, and then finding ourselves on mostly common ground in the end. (Thanks Dr Phil!)

It is better to use constructive criticism when talking to people. Everyone has ideas; ones are better than others, but it doesn't mean you have to be condescending. You get more answers when you are polite and are civil about it. If only, the republicans and democratics can see it the same way LOL

Edited by acuratlsd

USCIS

28 JUL 11 SENT I129F PACKAGE

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

05 AUG 11 NOA 1 NOTICE DATE

07 AUG 11 CHECK CASHED $340 *OUCH*

14 AUG 11 RECEIVED RETURN RECEIPT FROM USPS

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

19 DEC 11 LETTER FROM NVC STATING THE PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO MANILA

127 DAYS BETWEEN NOA 1 & NOA 2.

MANILA EMBASSY

13 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 SINGLE LETTER (QUENNY)

27 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 COPY TO ME HERE IN STATES

29 JAN 12 SENT MONEY $350 FOR VISA APPLICATION

30 JAN 12 MADE VISA APPOINTMENT

06 FEB 12 SENT PAPERS FOR VISA INTERVIEW (4.2lbs Through DHL, $140)

09 FEB 12 SENT MONEY FOR INTERVIEW & SEMINAR

13 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 1

14 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 2

05 MAR 12 VISA INTERVIEW AT MANILA, PHILIPPINES

Everyone has ideas; ones are better than others, but it doesn't mean you have to be condescending. You get more answers when you are polite and are civil about it. If only, the republicans and democratics can see it the same way LOL

Amen ! A lesson that many on here (and no I'm not talking about the newbies) should learn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is better to use constructive criticism when talking to people. Everyone has ideas; ones are better than others, but it doesn't mean you have to be condescending. You get more answers when you are polite and are civil about it. If only, the republicans and democratics can see it the same way LOL

Sure. And then there are those incapable of giving answers or having ideas that come along to insult other members and contribute nothing themselves. Ideas are great, advice is great. Sitting in the audiance and throwing tomatoes...not so great. Better to just sit quietly, or leave if you do not like the show.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.