lemayz

Petitioner or Applicant?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Sorry everyone, I am about to send out my I-130 and my brain is finally fried and I am overthinking everything.

I just realized that in most parts of the application documents, we referred to myself as the petitioner and to my husband as the beneficiary. However, now I see in some parts that we also referred to myself as the applicant. So the question is:

Is applicant and petitioner the same thing? Is it okay if in some places I am the applicant and in some, the petitioner? He is always the "beneficiary."

Please let me know!

Edited by lemayz

Timeline:

Nov. 2008 - met my husband in Chile

May 2011 - engaged

Dec. 2011 - married

Feb. 20, 2012 - sent in I-130 packet from abroad

March 3, 2012 - NOA1

March 14, 2012 - NOA2

March 21, 2012 - NVC Received

April 4, 2012 - NVC Case Number Received

April 9, 2012 - AOS bill Paid

April 12(ish) - IV bill Paid

June 11, 2012 - AOS and IV packages received by NVC

June 18, 2012 - Checklist received from NVC (to send forms that I am not even supposed to have!)

June 20, 2012 - IV packet approved

June 26, 2012 - AOS Checklist response sent

July 18, 2012 - Case complete

August 23, 2012 - Medical Appointment

September 26, 2012 - Interview - supposedly approved but put on Administrative Processing :-(

October 18, 2021 - Received Visa

Dec. 13, 2012 - POE at Miami

Dec. 20, 2012 - received Social Security Card

Jan. 3, 2013 - received Greencard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Perhaps I have found an answer. I found these glossary terms:

Applicant (Visa): A foreign citizen who is applying for a nonimmigrant or immigrant U.S. visa. The visa applicant may also be referred as a beneficiary for petition based visas

Beneficiary: An applicant for a visa as named in a petition from the DHS, USCIS.

There is no definition of Petitioner. S0 based on this, my understanding is that Applicant and Beneficiary are one and the same and that Petitioner is different.

Which means, I am the petitioner and my husband is both the applicant and beneficiary. Can anyone corroborate this?

Thanks!

Timeline:

Nov. 2008 - met my husband in Chile

May 2011 - engaged

Dec. 2011 - married

Feb. 20, 2012 - sent in I-130 packet from abroad

March 3, 2012 - NOA1

March 14, 2012 - NOA2

March 21, 2012 - NVC Received

April 4, 2012 - NVC Case Number Received

April 9, 2012 - AOS bill Paid

April 12(ish) - IV bill Paid

June 11, 2012 - AOS and IV packages received by NVC

June 18, 2012 - Checklist received from NVC (to send forms that I am not even supposed to have!)

June 20, 2012 - IV packet approved

June 26, 2012 - AOS Checklist response sent

July 18, 2012 - Case complete

August 23, 2012 - Medical Appointment

September 26, 2012 - Interview - supposedly approved but put on Administrative Processing :-(

October 18, 2021 - Received Visa

Dec. 13, 2012 - POE at Miami

Dec. 20, 2012 - received Social Security Card

Jan. 3, 2013 - received Greencard

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Perhaps I have found an answer. I found these glossary terms:

Applicant (Visa): A foreign citizen who is applying for a nonimmigrant or immigrant U.S. visa. The visa applicant may also be referred as a beneficiary for petition based visas

Beneficiary: An applicant for a visa as named in a petition from the DHS, USCIS.

There is no definition of Petitioner. S0 based on this, my understanding is that Applicant and Beneficiary are one and the same and that Petitioner is different.

Which means, I am the petitioner and my husband is both the applicant and beneficiary. Can anyone corroborate this?

Thanks!

For a spouse visa case, that is correct except for the G325a. You are the "applicant" on your own G325a. Remember that it is your petition for YOUR spouse, so your alien relative's spouse is YOU. Top of page 2 on the I-130.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.