Divine Mercy

New to the process

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi, I have been reading and reading and trying to make sense of all this stuff. We are not yet married but I believe the K3 will be the best option for us. As for today I have a few questions. I have been trying to find information for the following:

1. What supporting documents are generally used to prove the relationship. I have emails, instant messages, postal receipts (some), plane ticket stubs, pictures, letters and phone records. Is this usually enough?

2. Is there anything I should keep in mind when I go to Nigeria to get married? Is there a certain length of stay required? Are photos and a marriage certificate valid proof or should I keep something else in mind?

3. My mother has offered to be the co-sponsor. I have a thousand questions about this!! Firstly, I am currently living with her since my divorce. Should I move out prior to submitting the affidavit of support? That way she only has to show she can provide for him and herself and I have to show an income appropriate to provide for me, him and our kids (I have two and we have one together). Should my mother and I combine our incomes under some shared household specification? Since she is a retired widow her income is strictly Pension and Social Security. Are these acceptable?

Do you all know of any websites that give detailed answers to these questions? Everything I read is a general outline of the process.. I was hoping to find something more detailed without hiring a lawyer.

Thank you!

Kathryn

If you have read the guides you will note what is required to make the initial petition.

1. Proof of an ongoing relationship/bona fide relationship is needed at the interview stage. What you have mentioned already......any cards, letters etc from your family and friends to your partner and vice versa are also useful. Anything that substantiates the relationship. More photos etc with your trip there would also be included.

2. There is no timeframe for you to stay there when you get married.

Before making a final decision....have a read of this thread on DCF which is a draft of the VJ DCF Guides....You may find that you can file directly if you check out the links within it and ask the questions. And if you can and you are going there anyway...this way would save you an awful lot of time.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2939

As for the detailed answers you are seeking.....that would depend on what information you are looking for. The vast majority of your questions can be answered here through hands on experiences....the best knowledge in the world.

There are numerous links throughout this site that you can also check out. Have you checked out the old site for searches on various questions you may have that you havent been able to find here. The link is accessible under 'advanced search' at the top left of the page.

At the top of the search page you will see.....

You are now searching posts on or after Jan 28th 2006. To search prior to this date click here (to view the archives).

When searching and there is only 3 characters such as EAD etc you will need to include an asterisk EAD*

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.