StupidJourney

First Real Ftir of the month!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well I finally had my first ftir feast of this Ramadan. I was invited to the house of two Turkish teachers I work with. It was so nice to be able to break my fast with other people who were fasting as well! (normally I'm eating alone, or on the webcam while chatting with my man, or with my mom who ate 4 hours ago, so it's not big deal for her!) It was a much different ftir than the ones I'm used to in Morocco. I'm used to the harira, schbekiya, boiled eggs, that bready crepe thing that I can't remember the name of right now, asir banane, and lots and lots of khobz. But this was good. It definitely was a nice motivation to keep doing what I'm doing! I had been feeling real alone the past week - kind of the way I did when I was in Morocco during Christmas and the only signs of christmas were those weird papa noel blow up dolls. that's how I felt about ramadan here. kind of out of place in both cultures and not knowing where to fit in. does anyone else ever feel that way too?

timeline doesn't matter.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Well I finally had my first ftir feast of this Ramadan. I was invited to the house of two Turkish teachers I work with. It was so nice to be able to break my fast with other people who were fasting as well! (normally I'm eating alone, or on the webcam while chatting with my man, or with my mom who ate 4 hours ago, so it's not big deal for her!) It was a much different ftir than the ones I'm used to in Morocco. I'm used to the harira, schbekiya, boiled eggs, that bready crepe thing that I can't remember the name of right now, asir banane, and lots and lots of khobz. But this was good. It definitely was a nice motivation to keep doing what I'm doing! I had been feeling real alone the past week - kind of the way I did when I was in Morocco during Christmas and the only signs of christmas were those weird papa noel blow up dolls. that's how I felt about ramadan here. kind of out of place in both cultures and not knowing where to fit in. does anyone else ever feel that way too?
Yes I do know what you mean Sonicliz... I mean here in Algerie I have gotten to know the *real* Ramadan, while I was in the States...every Ramadan I woke for suhour to have coffee and some light like a bagel or creme of wheat when I was not so lazy to make it. Then I went to work, where no one else was fasting. I was surrounded by people snacking, going to lunch, smoking (even thou I am not a smoker during Ramadan smelling the smoke makes me hunger pains and headaches worse :( ), talking about everyday gossip like sex, crimes, etc... While would be on lunch, I would be reading the Qur'an...then only to have to break my fast alone while at work many times, with some really simple that most times leftovers or a sandwich. I mean Ramadan for me was not so fun... i mean it is not suppose to be fun, but in terms of actually feeling it was time for joy. Also cos of my work I did not hae chance to attend all the tarawee prayers, and many times if I had the time off I would be sooo exhausted I would not go. And Eid especially was boring and sad... the Eid prayer in the masjid would really nice... but after I would go right home, give my daughter a gift then it would busy as usual. So this year, elhamdullah I am soooo blessed to have chance to witness how Ramadan is done in a Muslim country. I find many times, like the fast people sleep all day here and fast the day and eat all night kind of annoys me... since to me it defeats the purpose almost... but anyway I am not anyone to judge and esp not to correct... All I can say is... I AM SO ENJOYING RAMADAN HERE!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I got to spend my first Ramadan in Algeria last year. I loved sharing Ramadan with Hachemi and his family. I am very fortunate to have Hachemi here with me this year. Inshallah, your fiance will be here soon and this will be your last Ramadan without him. :thumbs:

Meriem (F)

Edited by Meriem_setif

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Timeline

I know what you mean about the lonely Ramadan. This makes my 2nd one sitting here in the States. I've been very homesick for Egypt. Mohammed tries to share with me by calling at the time I break fast and I appreciate that so much. But sharing it with fellow Muslims in a Muslim country really makes it a wonderful time. I can say that my solitude isn't necessarily a bad thing however. It gives me more time to contemplate the things Ramadan is meant to show us about our own character without distraction.

Ramadan kareem

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I know what you mean about the lonely Ramadan. This makes my 2nd one sitting here in the States. I've been very homesick for Egypt. Mohammed tries to share with me by calling at the time I break fast and I appreciate that so much. But sharing it with fellow Muslims in a Muslim country really makes it a wonderful time. I can say that my solitude isn't necessarily a bad thing however. It gives me more time to contemplate the things Ramadan is meant to show us about our own character without distraction.

Ramadan kareem

I do agree with you Jean on the solitude part... even thou this is my first Ramadan with Muslim, plus I am in a Muslim country... Ramadan here seems to be about eating, visiting and parties then the actually prayers, reading of the Qur'an and mediation I did in the past... also people seem to sleep all day here, and party all night... Which reminds of last night's tarawee where I also get pissed off... seems it is more of gossip then prayer... more women were talking then prayers... and when it is pver all they do is push and shove their way out of the masjid... :angry:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

All I know is that I'm the only muslim that I know around here aside from a very few muslimahs that I met a few weeks ago who live in Boston. I can't really hang with them though since I live 20 minutes north of the city and they are both in thier 20's without kids.

Right now I'm working from home smelling the fried clams and french fries that my kids are eating. It's a shame...they are home today because my town celebrates the Jewish holidays and we celebrate the Christian holidays but no where in school have they ever learned about Ramadan or even about what it is to be a Muslim.

Anyway although I'm alone I feel the specialness so much. My 1/2 hour before Fajr is so wonderful. All is silent and it's just me and my tea and cereal and I look out into the streets in the darkness. I hear the soft breathing of my daughters and the cat is purring in my lap. Then I pray Fajr and somehow fall into a deep peaceful sleep until it's time to really wake up.

When it is time to breakfast I eat a date and drink some milk and then go and pray and the gratitude that I feel for Allah bestowing upon me a place to live, food to eat, etc. is uncomprehensible to me. I always knew that it was Allah that provided for me but when it's time to pray Maghrib the awareness inside of me is incredible.

So no I don't share breaking my fast with bunches of people (though my daughters are so cute....they're all like, ok NOW what do you want to eat? And they go get it for me and watch me eat. :lol: ) but my aloneness with Allah is very special and intimate and really a beautiful experience.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hearing about people's ramadan experiences (even if they are lonely) makes me :luv:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You guys have good comments to make. It really makes me keep things in perspective, especially because this is my first real Ramadan (I only lasted a few days fasting when I was in Morocco), and although I haven't officially converted, I'm in the process of learning about the beliefs and customs, and am seriously looking within myself and the world and seriously considering converting. So I guess it's good that I'm alone, so I can contemplate this big decision a little more seriously and without distractin!

timeline doesn't matter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.