safire

Domestic flights in the USA with my Canadian passport

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I will be filing for my GC in 2 weeks, but I was wondering if I am able to do domestic flights with just my Canadian passport. I have been in the USA for over 2 years now, married my US citizen husband in March 2010, entered the US driving across the Washington/BC border. My passport has no stamps or anything on it. Anyways its sometheing I've always wanted to know because I havent tried flying once in the past 2 years. But would love to go see my sister in Montana because I miss my family so much, whom I haven't seen in over 2 years.

Thanks for any advice!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It's my understanding that any state issued photo id.....or any recognized passport is acceptable for travel on domestic flights. I've used my Irish passport many times. (although I have my residency card, it was never asked for on domestic flights)

Assuming you are legally in the US, there shouldn't be any problem.....although i'm open to correction.

I-130                                                            CR-1

Filed: 1/13/2010                                         NVC Receive: 3/31/2010

NOA1: 1/22/2010                                       Consulate Receive: 3/31/2010 

NOA2: 2/3/2010                                         Interview: 4/26/2010

Approval: 5/13/2010

Date of Entry: 5/17/2010

I-751                                                            N-400

Filed: 2/18/2012                                        Filed: 2/11/2021

NOA1: 2/23/2012                                      NOA1: 2/12/2021

Biometrics: 3/12/2012                             Biometrics: Reuse Notice 2/19/2021

Interview: N/A                                            Interview: 4/6/2021

Approval: 7/11/2012                                Approval: 4/6/2021

Green Card Received: 7/19/2011

Oath of Allegiance: 5/6/2021

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If you have a valid passport you can fly, i am assuming you are in the us and will fly domestic. When you file for your AOS, put the name on the application you want on your card. IE; first name, middle as your current last name, and husbands last name for an example. If you put your maiden name on the I485 the IO will change it at the interview no problem, they do not hyphenated names FYI. New regulations coming for two forms of government ID with a Photo, as a heads up.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you both for your quick replies! I was thinking of doing all the paperwork myself but I think we are going to go with an immigration lawyer, flat fee of 1250. Plus 1490 filing fees. I'm just scared to mess something up lol.

If you have a valid passport you can fly, i am assuming you are in the us and will fly domestic. When you file for your AOS, put the name on the application you want on your card. IE; first name, middle as your current last name, and husbands last name for an example. If you put your maiden name on the I485 the IO will change it at the interview no problem, they do not hyphenated names FYI. New regulations coming for two forms of government ID with a Photo, as a heads up.

Ok this is another thing... because I have not changed any of my ID because have obviously not been able to here in the USA to my husbands last name. So you're saying that I would put (my first name, my maiden name, husbands last name) ? All my canadian ID is in my maiden name. And I have no id in the USA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.