Deleteta

SS Office Changing Name Issue

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

We went to the SS office to change my wife's last name to my last name and the guy told us we need another ID showing her last name with mine like a state ID or a Medical Paper. Really confused please help. We don't have much time for her to get another ID, we already have a SS number for her.

papers we brought with us to SS office

Birth Certifcate

Marriage Certificate

her U.S SS card

passport with K-1 visa and her SS card from the Philippines

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

the guy is wrong, you showed him your marriage certificate, with both names,doe's your wife have a permanent resident card,with her married name. if so show that also.if you don't have a green card yet, on your forms 1-485 file with your married names, 1-765 EAD that way it will show your new married nameson your green card and s.s card.

Filed: Timeline
the guy is wrong, you showed him your marriage certificate, with both names,doe's your wife have a permanent resident card,with her married name. if so show that also.if you don't have a green card yet, on your forms 1-485 file with your married names, 1-765 EAD that way it will show your new married nameson your green card and s.s card.

We still don't have any ID of her with my last name on it, we just have our marriage certificate and he is asking for another ID.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I really believe the guy you spoke with doesn't know what he is talking about. You have the marriage cert (plus other docs showing her maiden identity), that should be enough. I would speak with a supervisor if I were you.

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Go to the SSA webpage and find their e-mail address. Send them an e-mail detailing with as much information as possible--like date, time, the name of the person you spoke to etc--what happened. They should send you a reply e-mail that you can take with you to "train" the other person. Another option is to search the VJ website for problems with name changing on a K-1 visa as someone posted the actual e-mail from the SSA. Another SSA employee that does not know what documents are required in order to do a name change. You could have asked him as you walked up, "What does a USC need as documents in order to change their last name based on marriage?" and see wha tthe answer is. Then why should it be any different for a K-1 visa holder?

Good luck,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.