paulafarris

Need help about chinese communist membership

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hello, I need all your help here. I am a chinese lady with an american husband. I was interviewed at the begining of June this year. I was granted visa first ,but when I was ready to leave and asked visa officer if my visa is 10 years( I got married for 2 years), He said it is 10 years visa, but asked me if I am communist. I was very honest and told him " no, I quitted . Visa officer asked me to show him a formal letter from my employer about quitting, but I didnt take it with me, then He took back my red slip and told me he is sorry and he couldn't give me visa at that time. :crying: I was asked to fill out a questionnaire about communist and mail the formal er letter about quitting from my employer. I mailed them to consulate in the middle of June. A month later I got consulate letter said they must run a routine security name check on me, which usually takes 2 months. Right now 3 months later, I was still told my case is in the process of name check. :( even though my husband wrote senator, white house, state of department.

Is there anybody know how long this name check will take?? or what else I can do to expedite my case. I am married to my husband over 2 years now, but we are still apart. :crying:

Thank you

Filed: Timeline

I don't have any answers for you but all I can say is I think it's a bit stupid that we're still trying to keep out communists, especially from authoritarian dictatorships like China. I mean, don't you sort of HAVE to be a communist to get by there?

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
I don't have any answers for you but all I can say is I think it's a bit stupid that we're still trying to keep out communists, especially from authoritarian dictatorships like China. I mean, don't you sort of HAVE to be a communist to get by there?
The vast majority of Chinese are not members of the communist party only 5% of the population are members. Being a member is a major problem with the immigration people, they tend to be classified ineligible to immigrate or even to get a visa. I asked this of my fiance way before we began the K1 visa to make very clear that this would cause us a big-big problem. My fiance was in the army and also worked for the post office for 9 years, but never joined the party.

This is a very tough nut to crack.

Section 212(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act reads:

(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise provided in this Act, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United States:

(3) Security and related grounds.-

(D) Immigrant membership in totalitarian party.-

(i) In general.-Any immigrant who is or has been a member of or affiliated with the Communist or any other totalitarian party (or subdivision or affiliate thereof), domestic or foreign, is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception for involuntary membership.- Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that the membership or affiliation is or was involuntary, or is or was solely when under 16 years of age, by operation of law, or for purposes of obtaining employment, food rations, or other essentials of living and whether necessary for such purposes.

(iii) Exception for past membership.-Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that-

(I) the membership or affiliation terminated at least-

(a) 2 years before the date of such application, or

(B ) 5 years before the date of such application, in the case of an alien whose membership or affiliation was with the party controlling the government of a foreign state that is a totalitarian dictatorship as of such date, and

(II) the alien is not a threat to the security of the United States.

(iv) Exception for close family members.-The Attorney General may, in the Attorney General's discretion, waive the application of clause (i) in the case of an immigrant who is the parent, spouse, son, daughter, brother, or sister of a citizen of the United States or a spouse, son, or daughter of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence for humanitarian purposes, to assure family unity, or when it is otherwise in the public interest if the immigrant is not a threat to the security of the United States.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligib...ities_1364.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_Party_of_China

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

The vast majority of Chinese are not members of the communist party only 5% of the population are members. Being a member is a major problem with the immigration people, they tend to be classified ineligible to immigrate or even to get a visa. I asked this of my fiance way before we began the K1 visa to make very clear that this would cause us a big-big problem. My fiance was in the army and also worked for the post office for 9 years, but never joined the party.

That's very interesting; I didn't know that. My first boyfriend in high school was from one of the former iron curtain countries where communist party membership was required. It clearly didn't pose a problem for his family in immigrating to the United States but I'm guessing exceptions are made for countries where you have to join...I dunno.

This is a very tough nut to crack.

Section 212(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act reads:

(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise provided in this Act, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United States:

(3) Security and related grounds.-

(D) Immigrant membership in totalitarian party.-

(i) In general.-Any immigrant who is or has been a member of or affiliated with the Communist or any other totalitarian party (or subdivision or affiliate thereof), domestic or foreign, is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception for involuntary membership.- Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that the membership or affiliation is or was involuntary, or is or was solely when under 16 years of age, by operation of law, or for purposes of obtaining employment, food rations, or other essentials of living and whether necessary for such purposes.

Ah....yeah, this is why they got let in. :yes:

(iii) Exception for past membership.-Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that-

(I) the membership or affiliation terminated at least-

(a) 2 years before the date of such application, or

(B ) 5 years before the date of such application, in the case of an alien whose membership or affiliation was with the party controlling the government of a foreign state that is a totalitarian dictatorship as of such date, and

(II) the alien is not a threat to the security of the United States.

(iv) Exception for close family members.-The Attorney General may, in the Attorney General's discretion, waive the application of clause (i) in the case of an immigrant who is the parent, spouse, son, daughter, brother, or sister of a citizen of the United States or a spouse, son, or daughter of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence for humanitarian purposes, to assure family unity, or when it is otherwise in the public interest if the immigrant is not a threat to the security of the United States.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligib...ities_1364.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_Party_of_China

Yikes...well, to the OP I say good luck. :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You are on AP. Its a very common practice to put the men from Muslim countries on it. I don't know all of the details but from what I understand they are doing name checks against different databases. Also, from what I have heard, sometimes one of the checks are completed before another one, and by the time that one is complete the first one has expired and they have to do it again.

Have you called the Department of State for the status? Sometimes they don't give you any info, but sometimes they are very helpful.

Good luck.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Is there anybody know how long this name check will take?? or what else I can do to expedite my case. I am married to my husband over 2 years now, but we are still apart.

Name checks can vary in length and depending if you have any more security checks going at the same time. When you are in security checks or name checks NO ONE can expedite the processing since it has to deal with national security. As Morocco4ever forever mentioned that sometimes some checks cleared before others do and then have to be restarted until all checks come back as cleared. I would call the DOS and ask for any updates from an operator. They may only say your case is in AP which is what happened in our case until the embassy recontacted my husband for him to come back they were ready to process him again.

DOS

202 663 1225

Press options 1,0,4,3,0

Need to have your case number, persons names and your spouse DOB.

Good luck,

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

thanks for your answers. As far as I known, here most chinese have to join the communist not because they believe of communist or take it as relegion , and they do it just for their jobs or promising future. I were asked to join it to keep my job few years ago. I also were told many chinese lied about communist membership and they got visa without any problem. Some even admited to their membership in front of visa officer and also got visa. Some were unlucky and like me were told to be name check again. I feel very angry about THIS :angry::angry::angry: It is unfair. Do you know here after everyone knew the reason why i was rejected and they laught at me and think I am stupid enough ;) They think I should never have told the US government the truth. Now I also found honesty people usually are being punished.

Well we can understand the frustration Paula, but well once you tell them they have to go by the law no matter what. If some people did tell them and still they got the visa, then I believe the visa officer can lose his job if the authorities come to know about this. Its just that the law in the books is what they have to follow no matter what..

Our Timeline

06/23/2006 Happiest day of my life, got married to my lovely Wife!

AOS

11/27/06 I-485 / I-765 Sent (Overnight)

11/28/06 I-485 / I-765 Received

12/01/06 Notice Date for both

12/02/06, 12/04/06, 12/05/06, 12/06/06, 12/10/06, 12/11/06 Touched !!!

12/19/06 Interview letter Issued!

12/26/06 Interview Notice Received!

02/13/07 Interview

08/25/08 Filed Writ of Mandamus (Law Suit) against USCIS, DOS, FBI

09/16/08 Application Approved (IR6)

09/22/08 Card Production Ordered

09/23/08 Welcome Notice Received

09/29/08 10 YR. GC Received!

N-400

07/18/11 N-400 Sent (Overnight) UPS

07/19/11 N-400 Received

08/23/11 Case status changed - FP letter sent

08/26/11 Fingerprint notice received in mail

08/26/11 Early Fingerprints completed

09/13/11 Original Fingerprints scheduled date

08/30/11 Case status updated: In-Line to be scheduled for an interview

09/12/11 Case status updated: Interview is now scheduled

09/15/11 Interview letter received!

10/19/11 Interview at Santa Ana, CA - I-130 is not approved in file

10/19/11 RFE issued

10/27/11 RFE response received and is being reviewed - even though I didn't get any RFE or responded to one!

11/11/11 Notification for Placed in que for oath ceremony

11/15/11 Notification for Oath being scheduled

11/18/11 N-445 Oath letter received

12/15/11 Oath Ceremony - Its all over! I AM FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Timeline

Lying to the Immigration would have to be about the craziest thing to do in my opinion. Maybe they know nothing and you will get away with a lie, but maybe they already know something, in this case you would have some pretty severe consequences.

I know this is rough, believe me I know, but once they finish the security checks it will all be over, and you can rest easy that there are no secrets that have to be hidden from the immigration from here forward.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline
I did some more research into the percentage of population of China who are members of the CPC and the number is more like 5.4%

70.8 million remembers, http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/811/2006/03/02/191@57107.htm (Propaganda arm of Government so may be a bit exaggerated)

1.3129 billion, total population of China. http://www.cpirc.org.cn/en/eindex.htm

So doing the math (70.8x100)/1312.9 = 5.4%

All I can say is wait for the security check. And hang in there.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

All,

One good reason for having a consultation with an immigration attorney at the start, particularly an immigration attorney who is familiar with the consulate where the visa application will be processed, is to discuss the little details and learn what to say, how to say it, and what not to say.

As we see here, seemingly small splinters can cause large infections if they get under the skin.

Yodrak

Hello, I need all your help here. I am a chinese lady with an american husband. I was interviewed at the begining of June this year. I was granted visa first ,but when I was ready to leave and asked visa officer if my visa is 10 years( I got married for 2 years), He said it is 10 years visa, but asked me if I am communist. I was very honest and told him " no, I quitted . Visa officer asked me to show him a formal letter from my employer about quitting, but I didnt take it with me, then He took back my red slip and told me he is sorry and he couldn't give me visa at that time. :crying: I was asked to fill out a questionnaire about communist and mail the formal er letter about quitting from my employer. I mailed them to consulate in the middle of June. A month later I got consulate letter said they must run a routine security name check on me, which usually takes 2 months. Right now 3 months later, I was still told my case is in the process of name check. :( even though my husband wrote senator, white house, state of department.

Is there anybody know how long this name check will take?? or what else I can do to expedite my case. I am married to my husband over 2 years now, but we are still apart. :crying:

Thank you

Timeline
Do I need apply for waiver? I asked this question to US consulate in China, but they ingored my question.

Your not even at the point to consider a waiver. Just hang back a little and see what happens with the security checks.

I don't think Yodrak's suggestion is a bad idea though, if you could at least consult with one. Finding one that understands the communist party might be a bit tough, but if he doesn't have experience in that area I wouldn't bother with him/her.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Have you researched this question at the Candle For Love group?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
Have you researched this question at the Candle For Love group?
Great place to look! :thumbs:

A few posts I found on this:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18900

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14090

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18592

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...f=7&t=10946 (Master list pointing to many posts on Communism.)

http://candleforlove.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.