Ge and Mayyong

K1 Visa Pettion for Laos Citizen (Hmong)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

Hi,

I am new here, I am looking for some info for anyone or anybody that had file for a petition in Laos. I took a trip there in October of 2011 and got engaged to a Lao National. I have brought back with me a Engagement Certificated with witnesses signed by parents and relatives, Birth Certificate, and a Family Registry booklet. Now I have not gotten these translated to English, I am about to start the K1 Visa Petition. My question is do you have to have these documents translated into English to be sent in with your I129? I know on the I129f it just says if you met within the last two years, proof of meeting, and photographs together for requirements. Please if you anyone of you have filed for a I129F in Laos give me some insight and brighten my day. Also how long it took for your love one to come here too would be nice. Thanks again!

08/01/2011 Began chatting on phone

10/03/2011 Flew from MSP to Vientiane, Laos

10/05/2011 Arrived at Wattaya Airport

10/06/2011 Met face to face after much needed rest

10/18/2011 Proposed, asked for parents permission and blessings

*************** Time Spent within Time Period **************

********** Had to run some errands such as getting her Laos ID, Passport, Birth Certificate, Letter or Certificate of Single Status ***********

*** Everything was ran by me, don't listen to anyone trying to make a few dollars by "helping" you just because they know someone on the inside ***

11/02/2011 Got Engagement Certificate notarized and signed by witnesses and Village Leader

02/03/2012 Sent in I129F Packet

02/07/2012 Recieved Hard Copy of NOA1

06/27/2012 Recieved text and email NOA2

07/02/2012 Recieved NOA2 hardcopy via snail mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

This link can help you to find other US-Laos couples who filed for K-1: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=0&op1=4&op2=d&op3=1&op4=1&op5=5,6,8,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,18,20,21,22,25,26,27,28,108,110,111,208,210,211&op6=All&op7=Laos&dfile=No&adv=0

I guess some of them may answer your questions if you PM them. :)

For your question "how long does it take", you have a column "Days from initial filing to interview" on that link. It can give you an idea.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

yes you must have all documents in lao translated to english by someone who is certifed to translate it. the translations must have a letter from the translator certifying who is and his certifications. Go here My link

What other joy is there but being with the one you love

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

yes you do have to translate everything. we had everything translated except for the family book but the family book had pictures of each person and names in english and lao spelling. you definitely need an official birth certificate with translation (original and translation notarized) for after she has arrived in america too. we had our translated copies notarized. both of us also signed the engagement certificate. in the I-129F you don't really have to send the engagement cert or family book. altho i did send the engagement cert with my I-129F. when your fiancee goes to interview they will bring the family book with them (and can bring the engagment cert if you don't send in with I-129F). altho, unlike others, we didn't have our translator fill out that form that they translated but you can if you want too.

i sent in the paperwork in (mid-early) april and he arrived here in (early) november.

let us know if you have any more questions, we'll try to answer.

Edited by hnubno

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

Hello,

I have been following this board for the past year and this is my first post. I filed a I-129F K1 Petition for my fiancee in early 2011, she went to the interview in July/August. Her interview was like 30-45 minutes (if you have a long interview...chances are you are on the path to denial). We submitted additional requirements after the interview, and we were eventually denied. Having gone through the process, you can say that I am somewhat experienced in this. I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of people, and I believe that I did everything correct....and still got denied. Its been a very frustrating experience. I believe that I did everything right, I have no criminal history, I make more than enough to qualify, sufficient savings, our age difference was only 10 years, etc, etc. The Embassy/Consulate does not give you a specific reason for the denial.....just a generic letter stating the denial and how my fiancee did not pass the interview because her statement is inconsistent with the facts of our relationship. I've learned that Laos has an high fraud rate and the Embassy is understaffed to handle all the cases, therefore there is a 75% rate of denials for K1's at this time.

I recently went back to Laos, and my fiancee and I got married. We just got our marriage certificate from the Lao government. I am now just starting the IR-1/CR-1 process for that. If anyone wants to share horror stories or success stories, feel free to ask me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.