salgood411

TRAVEL TICKETS - COLOMBIA

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Bringing my fiance(e) to the U.S. - Does anyone have information regarding customs, government or airline restrictions or policies against purchasing a one way ticket from Colombia to the U.S. as opposed to roundtrip ?

US1.GIFCOL.GIF

04-19-06 Sent I-129F

04-24-06 I-129F received at CSC

04-27-06 Received NOA1

07-03-06 Received RFE from CSC

07-03-06 Returned RFE to CSC

07-08-06 RFE received at CSC

07-31-06 Touched

08-05-06 Received second RFE from CSC

08-05-06 Returned RFE to CSC

08-07-06 Touched

08-09-06 RFE received at CSC

08-14-06 Touched

08-15-06 E-mail from CSC stating RFE received

08-16-06 Touched

08-18-06 NOA2 APPROVED- I-129F sent to NVC

08-19-06 Touched

08-25-06 NVC Received I-129F

09-01-06 NVC sent I-129F to embassy

09-05-06 Received at embassy

09-11-06 Packet 3 sent from embassy

10-06-06 Received Packet 3. Long delay in receiving the packet was due to postal miscue

10-06-06 Returned Packet 3

10-09-06 Received at embassy

10-31-06 Received Packet 4

11-14-06 Interview date

11-18-06 Travel to the States

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Bringing my fiance(e) to the U.S. - Does anyone have information regarding customs, government or airline restrictions or policies against purchasing a one way ticket from Colombia to the U.S. as opposed to roundtrip ?

There is no restriction or requirement upon entering the US regarding a OW versus a RT ticket nor should there be one for the airline. You might however find that a RT ticket is not that much more than a OW but that is another story....

YMMV

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline
... or airline restrictions or policies against purchasing a one way ticket from Colombia to the U.S. as opposed to roundtrip ?

YES! I have an important bit of advice!!!

I had always heard and known that sometimes a one-way ticket can cost more then a round trip. However, what I did not know is this.

If you purchase a round trip ticket, but plan to only use one leg of the flight you MUST use the FIRST leg of the trip itenirary!

I made the mistake of buying two tickets for my fiancee and I for the following RT stops...

Leaving : Austin -> Miami -> Bogota

Returning : Barranquilla -> Miami -> Austin

Since my fiancee was in Barranquilla she would not need to use the Austin to Bogota flight and would only use the Returning trip. BIG NO!

Because she was not at the airport to check-in in Austin the airlines cancled the entire trip itenirary and I had to purchase a new one way ticket at the then 2 day notice price! It cost me an extra $300 to change the old $750 RT ticket to a One-Way ticket!

In essence I spent about $1,000 for a one way ticket. Don't make my mistake.

Make the round trip ticket starting in Colombia going to the US and then the return flight she will never use and if she does want to travel to Colombia within one year you may even have a couple hundred dollars in credit for a new ticket.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

... or airline restrictions or policies against purchasing a one way ticket from Colombia to the U.S. as opposed to roundtrip ?

YES! I have an important bit of advice!!!

I had always heard and known that sometimes a one-way ticket can cost more then a round trip. However, what I did not know is this.

If you purchase a round trip ticket, but plan to only use one leg of the flight you MUST use the FIRST leg of the trip itenirary!

I made the mistake of buying two tickets for my fiancee and I for the following RT stops...

Leaving : Austin -> Miami -> Bogota

Returning : Barranquilla -> Miami -> Austin

Since my fiancee was in Barranquilla she would not need to use the Austin to Bogota flight and would only use the Returning trip. BIG NO!

Because she was not at the airport to check-in in Austin the airlines cancled the entire trip itenirary and I had to purchase a new one way ticket at the then 2 day notice price! It cost me an extra $300 to change the old $750 RT ticket to a One-Way ticket!

In essence I spent about $1,000 for a one way ticket. Don't make my mistake.

Make the round trip ticket starting in Colombia going to the US and then the return flight she will never use and if she does want to travel to Colombia within one year you may even have a couple hundred dollars in credit for a new ticket.

Good bit of information

US1.GIFCOL.GIF

04-19-06 Sent I-129F

04-24-06 I-129F received at CSC

04-27-06 Received NOA1

07-03-06 Received RFE from CSC

07-03-06 Returned RFE to CSC

07-08-06 RFE received at CSC

07-31-06 Touched

08-05-06 Received second RFE from CSC

08-05-06 Returned RFE to CSC

08-07-06 Touched

08-09-06 RFE received at CSC

08-14-06 Touched

08-15-06 E-mail from CSC stating RFE received

08-16-06 Touched

08-18-06 NOA2 APPROVED- I-129F sent to NVC

08-19-06 Touched

08-25-06 NVC Received I-129F

09-01-06 NVC sent I-129F to embassy

09-05-06 Received at embassy

09-11-06 Packet 3 sent from embassy

10-06-06 Received Packet 3. Long delay in receiving the packet was due to postal miscue

10-06-06 Returned Packet 3

10-09-06 Received at embassy

10-31-06 Received Packet 4

11-14-06 Interview date

11-18-06 Travel to the States

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.