RR2657

Social Security Card - ID Requirements?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello All,

First of all, a BIG thank you to all the helpful people out there that have posted hints on this website! My fiancee had her K1 interview in Montreal in December, and our process was very smooth - thanks to the helpful tips that people have provided (ie, stay at the Hotel Phillips Square, get to the consulate early, go to the back of the elevator!).

So now we are preparing for her arrival in the US, and I am wondering if anyone can help with the issue of getting a social security card. I notice the SSA ask for "at least two documents to prove age, identity, and U.S. citizenship or current lawful, work-authorized immigration status."

The only ID she has is her Canadian passport - so the question is this: will her Canadian passport (with valid K1 visa) + I-94 card be enough to get a social security card?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

two duplicate threads have been removed - looks like a software or site glitch :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She can use her Canadian Birth Certificate and her Canadian passport with the I-94 in it. You can't use the same document for two different purposes. The birth certificate will prove her age, the passport will prove her identity and with the I-94 in it, her current, legal, work-authorized status in the US. (that's what I used).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I used my passport and Ontario drivers license.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Filed: Timeline

Thanks so much for the prompt replies!

Here's another complication - she was born in Tanzania, so I guess we can show her Tanzanian birth certificate for proof as well.

She doesn't have an ON drivers license, but she does have a health card - any ideas if that would work (it is a "state" issued ID, after all).

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the prompt replies!

Here's another complication - she was born in Tanzania, so I guess we can show her Tanzanian birth certificate for proof as well.

She doesn't have an ON drivers license, but she does have a health card - any ideas if that would work (it is a "state" issued ID, after all).

Thanks!

All I showed was my passport & birth certificate, as I didn't have a DL either. I had the health card with me (though technically it's not valid photo ID but that's probably not widely known in the US) but they never asked for more ID.

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

Timeline

Thanks!

It is not state issued. Canada does not have states.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You can't use the same document for two different purposes. The birth certificate will prove her age, the passport will prove her identity and with the I-94 in it, her current, legal, work-authorized status in the US. (that's what I used).

Actually, you can use the same document for two different purposes, the only rule is that you must have one valid document for each of the three requirements (legal presence/work-authorization, age, identity) and at least two documents total

See: http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm#o-a-us-documents

Each office may be different, but we showed only his passport and I-94. We brought the birth certificate just in case, but they didn't even ask to see it.

ALFREDO KIDS

2009-12-10: Met 2013-7-23: Filed I-130
2010-9-29: Engaged 2013-7-26: NOA1
2011-5-31: Filed I-129 2014-1-22 (2 of them), 2014-1-28 (1 of them): NOA2
2011-6-6: NOA1 2014-2-08 (2 of them) 2014-2-14 (1 of them): NVC received packet
2011-10-18: NOA2 2014-3-19 (2 of them), 2013-2-25 (1 of them): AOS fee bill generated
2011-10-26: Left NVC 2014-3-26: DS-261 filed, called for cases to be re-linked since one was
2011-10-31: Consulate received separated from the others to only pay one AOS fee
2011-12-1: Interview 2014-3-27: Cases are linked, paid AOS fee
2011-12-20: Visa received 2014-3-28: IV fees generated, paid
2011-12-27: Entered US 2014-4-1: Fees listed as paid
2012-1-20: Married 2014-4-2: AOS and IV packages sent
2012-1-23: Filed AOS/EAD 2014-4-3: DS-260 filled out
2012-1-27: AOS/EAD NOA 2014-4-4: Packages received by NVC

2012-2-6: Biometrics (appointment scheduled 2-14, but we had a trip 2014-4-25: Got checklist for AOS paperwork (they didn't actually want my

planned then and showed up early, they allowed it). income/his income where indicated on 864/864a, they wanted our
2012-3-26: EAD approval combined income for each, even though that's not what it says and
2012-3-29: AOS Interview and approval makes no sense whatsoever, also must put N/A in residence on
2012-4-2: EAD received 864a even though it says that nowhere and on 864 specifically says
2012-4-7: Greencard received to not use N/A but leave blank)

2013-12-31: Filed I-751 2014-4-26: Sent new AOS forms

2014-1-6: NOA1 2014-4-28: Package received by NVC

2014-1-31: Biometrics 2014-5-23: Told case complete over phone

2014-4-17: Approval 2014-5-29: Received case complete emails

2014-4-23: 10yr Green Card received 2014-5-31: Received interview date

2014-7-14: Interview

2014-7-24: Packets/Passports/Visas arrived at DHL (but tracking never said "waiting for pickup", on US website said "in transit", only found out by calling DHL in Ecuador)

2014-8-13: Entered US

Timeline

ok - as we all well know there are definitely differences in SSA offices :yes: . So, give it a try with just the passport and the I-94 and bring the birth certificate as a back up. I needed mine but keljopy didin't so there you go :). It shouldn't make a difference if she was born in Tanzania although if the birth certificate is not in English you will need to bring a translation of it too. Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I only brought my passport with a valid I-94 and my birth certificate with its accompanying translation and that was enough.

Some other SSN tips:

1. Print off this memo http://www.k1k3.com/stuff/SSNMemo.pdf and bring it with you in case they try to deny her a SSN. As long as her I-94 is valid she is entitled to an SSN, but sometimes the SSA officers don't know that.

2. Check off "legal alien allowed to work," keeping in mind that she is actually only allowed to work when she has an EAD or her green card.

3. The SSN is delivered through certified mail, so if her name is not registered with the mailbox yet make so include "Care of <husband's name>" or something along those lines, else they'll return it.

4. It is advisable to wait about 10 days after your fiancee's entry into the US before applying for a SSN since she needs to be updated in the system. However, in my case I waited 14 days and when I applied I still wasn't in the system. This is okay but if you go ahead with the application at that point be aware that it may take a little while for them to get the SSN to your wife because they have to send a request to USCIS to verify her. In my case it took 4 weeks until my SSN appeared in the mail.

5. Make sure to apply within 90 days of her POE!

6. If you're going to put your wife on a health insurance plan you might have to do it within a certain period of time of your marriage (most often 30 days) and she may also need an SSN in order to do it. You'll want to double check on that to make sure you're not too late :) In my case I received the SSN one day too late an wasn't able to go on health insurance right away :bonk:

All I showed was my passport & birth certificate, as I didn't have a DL either. I had the health card with me (though technically it's not valid photo ID but that's probably not widely known in the US) but they never asked for more ID.

Acually, I believe it's not valid photo ID only in Ontario, but valid elsewhere. I don't know where I remember reading that, but I think people have used their OHIP card in other provinces because other provinces aren't as strict with their health cards being used as ID.

I may be completely wrong, however! If I am I'm okay with using it as ID in the USA and getting away with it most of the time ;) And yes I know this information is useless and :ot: Haha. I just wish they'd make the damn thing valid ID because it's a pain in the #### if you don't drive and don't want to walk around with a valuable passport all the time. Fortunately the dumb Ontario ID laws are behind me now :lol:

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Good advice, Pocheros :)

Just one small correction - be sure to apply for your SSN no later than 76 days after her POE - 2 weeks before the 90 days expires. SSA won't process it if there is less than 2 weeks validity left on the I-94 and you would then have to wait for an EAD or the green card. The sooner the better, though - especially because of things like the health insurance issue.

Edited by Kathryn41

Timeline

Not sure anyone also mentioned - is taking your name after getting married? (Or some combination of your's and hers?). If YES, then she may want to wait so she has the marriage cert in hand as proof of name change. I came on a K1 and waited until after I had the marriage certificate. You don't want to wait too long either because they don't like to issue an SSN if it's too close to the 90 day window after her entry into the US. I got married 2 weeks after I arrived and then applied for my SSN a few after that without any issues.

There's nothing wrong with applying in her maiden name and changing it later...except it's a little bit of a hassle to change the name. depends on your wedding timing.

Cheers

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I brought my passport with valid i-94 in it, birth cirtificate and marriage certificate. in and out in 15 mins.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Not sure anyone also mentioned - is taking your name after getting married? (Or some combination of your's and hers?). If YES, then she may want to wait so she has the marriage cert in hand as proof of name change. I came on a K1 and waited until after I had the marriage certificate. You don't want to wait too long either because they don't like to issue an SSN if it's too close to the 90 day window after her entry into the US. I got married 2 weeks after I arrived and then applied for my SSN a few after that without any issues.

There's nothing wrong with applying in her maiden name and changing it later...except it's a little bit of a hassle to change the name. depends on your wedding timing.

Cheers

Some SSA offices won't let you do that either. I had my marriage certificate and the guy actually got mad at me for thinking I could change my name before I had my EAD or green card. I had to get mine in my maiden name and was told to come back when I get my EAD.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

It is not state issued. Canada does not have states.

When something requires a "state issued ID" they mean "state" as in government/nation-state...not state like the individual United States (e.g. Delaware, Pennsylvania, etc.). They're trying to distinguish between IDs issued by employers, universities, gyms, whatever and ones issued by governments. So yeah, Canadian IDs are state issued IDs. [end of political science nerd-out] :thumbs:

Edited by alizon

Timeline

Some SSA offices won't let you do that either. I had my marriage certificate and the guy actually got mad at me for thinking I could change my name before I had my EAD or green card. I had to get mine in my maiden name and was told to come back when I get my EAD.

Which of course is total BS :) Neitehr of those is required to change your name on your SSN (or get it to begin with in your married name) Wish the SSN offices would get it together.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.