mrpsmith

DS-230 Question 35 Issue

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello Everyone =)

I have a question about Form DS-230 regarding Question 35 "List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the United States. (If never, write "never") Give type of visa status, if known.

Give DHS "A" number if any."

I am Canadian and my Wife is American. I visit my wife in the US frequently (2 or sometimes 3 days a week). But, being Canadian I have never needed a "Visa" or had my passport stamped. The only time I had my passport stamped in the last, say, 6 years is when I traveled to Europe and had to fly back into the US. Never worked or been a student in the US either.

I have read on the wiki : "For Q.35: List dates of all previous visits in US. within past 10 years Must list all visits stamped on the passport, even those that lasted one or two days. Pay close attention to the most recent 3 years."

So my question is, would I write "Never" for this question? Do my social visits have to be listed? Thanks in advance! =D

- Mike

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello Everyone =)

I have a question about Form DS-230 regarding Question 35 "List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the United States. (If never, write "never") Give type of visa status, if known.

I am Canadian and my Wife is American. I visit my wife in the US frequently (2 or sometimes 3 days a week). But, being Canadian I have never needed a "Visa" or had my passport stamped. The only time I had my passport stamped in the last, say, 6 years is when I traveled to Europe and had to fly back into the US. Never worked or been a student in the US either.

I have read on the wiki : "For Q.35: List dates of all previous visits in US. within past 10 years Must list all visits stamped on the passport, even those that lasted one or two days. Pay close attention to the most recent 3 years."

So my question is, would I write "Never" for this question? Do my social visits have to be listed? Thanks in advance! =D

- Mike

I think you should write "see attached".

And print something like this:

Attachment to DS-230-I

#35.

I visit my wife in the US frequently (2 or sometimes 3 days a week). But, being Canadian I have never needed a "Visa" or had my passport stamped.

yours truly ,

Mrpsmith

Mother's Journey

---------USCIS------------

06/03/11 - I-130 sent

06/13/11 - NOA1 recieved(priority date 06/06/11)

10/06/11 - NOA2 I-130 Approved

----------NVC--------------

11/02/11 - Case number assigned

11/02/11 - Email delivery requested

11/07/11 - Received email with DS-3032 / I-864 Bill

11/07/11 - Emailed completed DS-3032

11/07/11 - Paid online I-864 Bill

11/08/11 - Received email with I-864 Package

11/08/11 - Mailed completed I-864 with supporting documents

11/09/11 - Received email confirming that DS-3032 was accepted

11/10/11 - Received email with IV Bill

11/10/11 - Paid online IV Bill

11/18/11 - Received email with DS-230 Package

12/02/11 - Mailed completed DS-230 with supporting documents

12/08/11 - NVC case complete

----------MOS Consulate------------

12/12/11 - Consulate received

12/21/11 - Medical exam @ IOM

01/17/12 - Interview. Visa granted

02/23/12 - POE @ JFK

Hello Everyone =)

- Mike

I had the same problem as you as a Canadian. I had been visiting the US since I was a baby, never needed a visa (except for when I moved and lived in the US for 2 years), and couldn't possibly remember all the visits I had. What I would highly recommend doing is what I did. Write 'see additional sheet' on that question. Then, on an additional sheet, follow what I did here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lNEm0btviWXw89jNWv0fh1sgPpo8-f2DpVXdv3SFWss/edit?hl=en_US

And by the way, as a Canadian, you should be filling out the DS-260, an online form. And on that form, you only need to list that last FIVE visits to the US (unless they've changed it since I filled it out last February). You should be bringing a DS-230 to the interview though, so this question might be about that point of the process. Hard to tell since your timeline hasn't been filled out.

Thank you both very much for the helpful replies. =D Very good suggestions.

I had the same problem as you as a Canadian. I had been visiting the US since I was a baby, never needed a visa (except for when I moved and lived in the US for 2 years), and couldn't possibly remember all the visits I had. What I would highly recommend doing is what I did. Write 'see additional sheet' on that question. Then, on an additional sheet, follow what I did here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lNEm0btviWXw89jNWv0fh1sgPpo8-f2DpVXdv3SFWss/edit?hl=en_US

And by the way, as a Canadian, you should be filling out the DS-260, an online form. And on that form, you only need to list that last FIVE visits to the US (unless they've changed it since I filled it out last February). You should be bringing a DS-230 to the interview though, so this question might be about that point of the process. Hard to tell since your timeline hasn't been filled out.

@Saylin:

About the DS-260. I originally filled out a DS-3032, which they mailed me. They accepted it. So, I never filled out the DS-261 (I believe that is the online version of the DS-3032?). I thought I remembered reading that the DS-261 was a pre-requisite to the DS-260, but I definitely could be wrong.

UPDATE : Actually, I just logged into "Consular Electronic Application Center" and it indeed says to fill out DS-260 online (it is NOT grayed out or unlisted). So, I guess the DS-230 is not the way to go like you suggested. I suppose not filling out the DS-261 must have been okay? Especially since they did "snail-mail" me one in the first place, maybe they will accept that one by mail for a while longer or something.

Thank you again and you're right, I should fill out a time-line. I'm pretty new to the site so I never thought of it. =)

- Michael

Thank you both very much for the helpful replies. =D Very good suggestions.

@Saylin:

About the DS-260. I originally filled out a DS-3032, which they mailed me. They accepted it. So, I never filled out the DS-261 (I believe that is the online version of the DS-3032?). I thought I remembered reading that the DS-261 was a pre-requisite to the DS-260, but I definitely could be wrong.

UPDATE : Actually, I just logged into "Consular Electronic Application Center" and it indeed says to fill out DS-260 online (it is NOT grayed out or unlisted). So, I guess the DS-230 is not the way to go like you suggested. I suppose not filling out the DS-261 must have been okay? Especially since they did "snail-mail" me one in the first place, maybe they will accept that one by mail for a while longer or something.

Thank you again and you're right, I should fill out a time-line. I'm pretty new to the site so I never thought of it. =)

- Michael

Yes, they're still allowing the DS-3032 (over the online DS-261). But the DS-260 (online version of the DS-230) is REQUIRED. The DS-230 will not be accepted at NVC.

Just bring the copy of your DS-230 to the interview though as they're going to ask for it. Unless they've finally gotten used to the online system, but as this is dealing with the government, I highly doubt it headbonk.gif

Yes, they're still allowing the DS-3032 (over the online DS-261). But the DS-260 (online version of the DS-230) is REQUIRED. The DS-230 will not be accepted at NVC.

Just bring the copy of your DS-230 to the interview though as they're going to ask for it. Unless they've finally gotten used to the online system, but as this is dealing with the government, I highly doubt it headbonk.gif

Ahhhh, okay everything is starting to make sense now. =D Haha, very true about the online system and the government I would imagine. Thank you very much again.

- Michael

Ahhhh, okay everything is starting to make sense now. =D Haha, very true about the online system and the government I would imagine. Thank you very much again.

- Michael

You're welcome :)

If you ever have any other questions, just ask me. I'm more than happy to help you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.