Married_my_love

Question for the Canadian Ladies!

32 posts in this topic

It isnt any colder here than in the mountains in California.

:blink:

It might seem funny but when you've lived your life in a place that rarely gets below 50 degrees it takes getting used to. I walk around feeling like my face is going to crack and fall off and it's almost embarrassing because most people don't even "look" cold. Well maybe on the -20 day, but I really am a big chicken and this is all new. Add to that the what-the-hell-do-you-wear to a fancy function, and well ha... yeah.

chicken, I read a bunch of good reviews about the food, and I can't wait. mmmmmm.

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am just up the road from where you will be....in Brantford. You will be fine in a comfy dress and nylons or a pantsuit. Either will work. Ancaster doesn't have any snow right now. And the location you mentioned is quite nice. Weddings aren't as formal as they once were.

Good luck with meeting the family!

Karen

umm..i'd suggest you wear something u feel comfortable in, and that makes u feel good.. cause when u feel like u look good then you are more confident about yourself.. if u're uncomfortable in what u are wearing, it'll probably make u uncomfortable in all..and it'll probably show in front of your in-laws..

I'd probably wear a dress with a nice coat.. pant suits are for old people (no offence to old people out there)

unless u wear a nice blouse with a nice pair of pants.. :-)

Okay, well good luck have fun!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I realize I sounded a bit harsh.. But to Canadians, its funny... Sorry, were used to Californians showing up in Canada in July with the Skis strapped to the top of the car.

Oi wheres the snow??? It isnt any colder here than in the mountains in California.

I think this is the funniest post I have read !!!!! I laughed for 10 mins on all the replys and it made me think of my husband. He is from OHIO and he thought it snowed and was a lot colder here too. Last April 1 while driving through a snow storm in Erie -- I thought it was weird they closed the I90 while my 5 year old daughter says "they don't close the roads in Canada mom, let's go home"

as for advice bring you snow shoes or shorts !!!!!! it was like 50 degrees here last week and I live 30 mins from ancaster ........... lol

Do Canadains where Different Clothes then Americains .......... lol

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Imagine if you were coming to Newfoundland and Labrador for a wedding?? :lol: Just for the record....I'm laughing 'with' you NOT 'at' you!! 10C here is "Mom, where are my summer shorts" :yes:

My sister lives in Southern California (about 25 or 30 years) and she comes home every year. My Dad always calls her the 'turtle' because he'd see her walking toward the house with her shoulders hunched up from the cold (and that would be in July or August)...........her shoulders almost covered her head she would be so cold :P Now mind you, it wasn't cold to us. It's what you get used to.

Good luck meeting the relatives. You'll look lovely whatever you wear....just be comfortable and be yourself!..........{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Timeline
Cerise, the non-cold weather Canuck.

LOL !! I'm the same way!! I HATE the cold. I'm from Vancouver , we hardly ever got snow. Just a whole lotta rain!

Its funny cuz we get quite a bit of snow here in Utah and I hate it. The neigbor next door saw me shovelling and said " Oh you must love this cuz your so used to the snow!" HA HA HA ! Ummm NO !

In fact, I'm always cold, I have a lil space heater next to me turned on full blast and I'm wearing a wool sweater to boot! :luv::P

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol: I'm finding out that we are tough!

Here in NY, it's considered COLD around 0 degrees (30 ish)

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm bringing my longjohns and down coat with me to TX..

TO BURN!!

We Canuckians love talking about weather :lol:

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, you know what we Canadians say about our weather...................

If you don't like our weather, wait 10 minutes or go down the road a mile.........It's sure to change!!!

We can have 4 seasons in a 24 hour period!! Gotta love it!!! :thumbs:

I'll be moving to the same type of climate in Maine (except they only have Winter for about 3 months, while we have it for 7 months in Newfoundland & Labrador :yes:

And yup we sure do love talking about our weather ..............{{{{{HUGS}}}}

Edited by MarieAnastasia

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm bringing my longjohns and down coat with me to TX..

TO BURN!!

We Canuckians love talking about weather :lol:

I visited family one year in August in Houston...it was 28C at 9am.

One of my brothers was in Hong Kong and the temp. dropped down to low 70'sF...they advised him to get out his winter coat.

Filed: Other Timeline

if there is snow on the ground, you might want to consider a dress or skirt that doesn't reach the floor, because it'll be a total mess before you even get to the wedding. There's nothing worse than a dress ruined by road salt and having to sit in it all night :P You might also consider wearing boots from the house to car, and from car to reception hall, then change into dress shoes inside. There's probably a coat check to leave your boots with. You don't want to ruin nice shoes with slush and road salt either.

That said, wear whatever you're comfortable in, and bring a shawl or fashionable cloak to wear inside in case its chilly. In all liklihood, it'll probably be too warm inside after you've had a couple glasses of champagne.

Just check the weather forecast.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
I love having this place to ask you guys these seemingly silly questions... what do you wear to a fancy wedding when it is butt cold ? I am a Sunny California girl, I have no idea how to go about dressing for cold but nice enough for a wedding shindig.

Do people wear pants or pant suits? or do you go with dresses but layers of leggins underneath?

Please give me the skinny. The wedding is in Ancaster at the Old Mill Inn, it looks really pretty (online)

I live in Hamilton (20 min away from the Old Mill) and it is a lovely place for a wedding. The attire will be upscale and I agree with wearing a long dress or a pant suit with a heavier coat ... closed toe shoes and if the dress has straps or is strapless ... a pretty shawl would be a good idea.

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm from the Deep South....where it hardly ever snows or gets butt cold. Well...my butt tends to get cold, but the cold down here in the South is a different kind from that up North. It's a damp, all the way to the bones kind of cold. When I visit Joel in Nova Scotia, it takes a couple days to acclimate, but I usually do and I can tolerate their cold pretty well...except when its -24C and there's a ton of snow on the ground. Then that's when my face freezes and my butt feels like it will shrivel up and fall off (not that I mind...I have plenty to lose back there). The only part of me that's NOT cold, is the part that is inside the goosedown coat I remembered to bring with me.

Now where was I goin with this? Oh yeah....since you'll be inside, I'd dress in a nice pantsuit and maybe tights beneath them. I like layers...but that's just me. Hope you enjoy(ed) the wedding. :luv:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.