Lady Amorika

What to Expect in Coming Months

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm very new to this process (as those in the K-1 forum might know) but I want/need to be prepared for what is coming :)

I'm Jessica, living in Ontario Canada. My fiance is John, living in upstate NY. We will be sending in our I-129F forms/packet soon, as soon as he manages to get the photos done.

I KNOW it is different for everyone, but I'm planning to take 6 months from sending in our I-129F to NOA2, and 3 months from NOA2 to the interview. Does this sound possible/logical to all of you?

Is the back-up in Montreal as bad as it seems?

Things like police checks (I've lived in 2 provinces, NB and ON) and vaccination records (will blood work prove what vacs I have done?), when should those happen? I want to start those early if they take some time to acquire.

How soon should he and I apply for our passports?

Also, he hasn't filed taxes in a couple years (as he didn't have income to report) but is now working and I assume he will have filed this years taxes well before the interview. Should he back-file now to avoid delays later?

What info should we gather to show an ongoing relationship?

Also, I'm going to need a letter from my doctor to prove that I no longer have mental issues (I was treated for depression a couple years ago), but haven't really seen just one doctor. How should I go about doing this, considering I'm in university and see whoever is at the clinic whenever. Should I just plan a couple visits with a psychiatrist NOW so that I have the papers?

Sorry for the mammoth post, I'd just rather have an early start on things (we needed to get so much more done for the I-129F than I anticipated, which is the problem now, so I want to be a bit more prepared for the rest of the journey!)

Thanks so much and I wish speedy and easy journies for the rest of you!!

Jessica (L)

Filed: Timeline

Hmm... we'd started our K1 before IMBRA came into effect, so I'm not sure how that's affecting things now.

IIRC, the USC needs to submit a photocopy of his/her passport with the initial application package... but I could be wrong :unsure: I'm from Ontario and passports arrive quickly after you apply for them -- took only two weeks or so (I went through the Scarborough office). Since Canadian passports are expensive and expire rather quickly (5 yrs... less than that in actuality), you might want to hold off on that for a bit.

I don't know about police checks in NB, but in Ontario, you can go through Commissionaires and get your police check in one week unless you have a criminal record. Vaccinations records you can get from your family doc whenever you like, but the rest of the medical appointment you can't go to until you have your letter from packet 3.

To show an ongoing relationship, we had photos of us together, Skype call logs, email printouts, boarding passes and electronic flight itineraries, and photocopies of snail mailed letters/cards.

Yeah, I think it'll be a good idea to plan a couple of visits with a psychiatrist NOW so that the psychiatrist can track you for a certain period of time or something to prove that everything's stable and okay.

Good luck! The process can be overwhelming, but I've found VJ to be of loads of help :-)

Timeline
Hmm... we'd started our K1 before IMBRA came into effect, so I'm not sure how that's affecting things now.

IIRC, the USC needs to submit a photocopy of his/her passport with the initial application package... but I could be wrong :unsure: I'm from Ontario and passports arrive quickly after you apply for them -- took only two weeks or so (I went through the Scarborough office). Since Canadian passports are expensive and expire rather quickly (5 yrs... less than that in actuality), you might want to hold off on that for a bit.

I don't know about police checks in NB, but in Ontario, you can go through Commissionaires and get your police check in one week unless you have a criminal record. Vaccinations records you can get from your family doc whenever you like, but the rest of the medical appointment you can't go to until you have your letter from packet 3.

To show an ongoing relationship, we had photos of us together, Skype call logs, email printouts, boarding passes and electronic flight itineraries, and photocopies of snail mailed letters/cards.

Yeah, I think it'll be a good idea to plan a couple of visits with a psychiatrist NOW so that the psychiatrist can track you for a certain period of time or something to prove that everything's stable and okay.

Good luck! The process can be overwhelming, but I've found VJ to be of loads of help :-)

Thanks for all the help!

No passport needed for the initial package, which is why I was wondering when it IS needed.

Vaccinations -- I've never in my life had a family doctor and have no way to get a vaccination record that I know of -- hence my question concerning if blood tests can prove vaccination.

My understanding is that a Canada-wide police check needs to be done -- is that done through the RCMP or simply my local police station? When can I have that done and still have it valid for when it's needed?

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for all the help!

No passport needed for the initial package, which is why I was wondering when it IS needed.

Vaccinations -- I've never in my life had a family doctor and have no way to get a vaccination record that I know of -- hence my question concerning if blood tests can prove vaccination.

My understanding is that a Canada-wide police check needs to be done -- is that done through the RCMP or simply my local police station? When can I have that done and still have it valid for when it's needed?

Hmm... I really can't for the life of me remember when my fiance needed to show his passport, or if he needed to show it at all. His birth cert is important though, to show his status as a USC :-)

Definitely get started on your vaccinations as soon as possible then! There are certain shots (or just a particular one) that need to taken x number of years apart, so hopefully you already have them done. The MMR should've been done when you were a child. Titre tests (I think that's what they're called?) will prove your immunity. Try to get those done soon so you'll know what you still need to get. Sorry, it's past 1 in the morning, so my brain's kinda fuzzy...

Yup, a Canada-wide check needs to be done. I just realized that after my last reply :innocent: So just one police check's needed. You can get it done through the RCMP or your local police station or Commissionaires (as mentioned before). You can have it done whenever you like (when I went through the Commissionaires, they did ask me why I needed it done, and they also asked for my Montreal case number). In the eyes of the Consulate (at least the Montreal one), the police check's good for one year (from the time of issuance up until the time of your interview).

Edited by echomyst

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

One only requires ONE police check for Canada, it covers the whole country. Contact ur local RCMP detachment to see how long it takes. Soem do it right there, others take a few days to prepare. There are many posts on VJ regarding the Police check, soa search may rewqrad you with more results. If you have ever had a criminal record, you wil require fingerprinting, which can take up to 6 months to receive!! No criminal record, no fingerprinting. If you goto ur local city police and get the check done, ensure its done canada wide. As well some law agaencies want soem sort of paper proof on why you require the background check. I just printed off a page from the USCIS website and they were happy. Or bring one of the docs from ur pkg stating you require it.

Cdn passport are fairly easy to get, filling them out can be a pain, lol. I applied in person and had the passport maile dto me (when I resided in Cabada) and think I had it at my doorstep in less than 2 weeks. Believe a Cdn passport is good for 5 yrs. I did cr-1 and I'm pretty sure I had to have copies of my wifes passport. I recall her having to copying every page, but cr-1 is different than k1. But its always good to be in possesion of a passport. Belive it takes a bit longer for the Yanks to receive thier passport, lot more $$$$ too. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You (non USC) will need your passport for the interview in Montreal ... I would make sure that you give yourself more than enough time so you are not stressing close to your interview date ... The passport is good for 5 years so applying for them now wouldn't hurt ...

Your Fiance (USC) doesn't really need the passport as far as I can remember as long as he can prove US citizenship with a birth certificate or what not ... But once again with the new boarder laws coming soon he will need one when you wish to return to canada to visit in the coming years ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Timeline
You (non USC) will need your passport for the interview in Montreal ... I would make sure that you give yourself more than enough time so you are not stressing close to your interview date ... The passport is good for 5 years so applying for them now wouldn't hurt ...

Your Fiance (USC) doesn't really need the passport as far as I can remember as long as he can prove US citizenship with a birth certificate or what not ... But once again with the new boarder laws coming soon he will need one when you wish to return to canada to visit in the coming years ...

This is true, but it means we can take our time -- the new passport law doesn't come into affect until 2009, so we have some time.

I'm still working on finding someone to guarentee my passport, so I will make sure it happens sooner rather than later.

He definitely has his birth certificate and driver's liscence, as that's what he uses to cross the border currently.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm very new to this process (as those in the K-1 forum might know) but I want/need to be prepared for what is coming :)

I'm Jessica, living in Ontario Canada. My fiance is John, living in upstate NY. We will be sending in our I-129F forms/packet soon, as soon as he manages to get the photos done.

I KNOW it is different for everyone, but I'm planning to take 6 months from sending in our I-129F to NOA2, and 3 months from NOA2 to the interview. Does this sound possible/logical to all of you?

Is the back-up in Montreal as bad as it seems?

Things like police checks (I've lived in 2 provinces, NB and ON) and vaccination records (will blood work prove what vacs I have done?), when should those happen? I want to start those early if they take some time to acquire.

How soon should he and I apply for our passports?

Also, he hasn't filed taxes in a couple years (as he didn't have income to report) but is now working and I assume he will have filed this years taxes well before the interview. Should he back-file now to avoid delays later?

What info should we gather to show an ongoing relationship?

Also, I'm going to need a letter from my doctor to prove that I no longer have mental issues (I was treated for depression a couple years ago), but haven't really seen just one doctor. How should I go about doing this, considering I'm in university and see whoever is at the clinic whenever. Should I just plan a couple visits with a psychiatrist NOW so that I have the papers?

Sorry for the mammoth post, I'd just rather have an early start on things (we needed to get so much more done for the I-129F than I anticipated, which is the problem now, so I want to be a bit more prepared for the rest of the journey!)

Thanks so much and I wish speedy and easy journies for the rest of you!!

Jessica (L)

I think you have a very good chance in that time frame .. it could happen faster as NY would go to Vermont for processing and they are faster.... Montreal does have a wait for interviews @ the moment though ... A Police cert. is fast to get 1 day -- 1 week usually there is a cost involved .. i have read free up too 50$ I payed 35$ . If you have a criminal record you must have a fingerprint check .. thats takes way longer and i have no idea of their details or cost. As far as passports go you can never be too careful .. there could be a wait as people will be rushing to get them before you need one to cross from Canada to the US (2007) I would do that ASAP .. one less thing to worry about ( no passport no Visa ) USC does not "have" to have a passport ...... but as stated above you will both need them for traveling. Canadian passport costs approx.90$ and a US one 100$ ( not a big difference in price ) They may want to see taxes for the last 3 years .. they may only want the latest one .. thats usually consulate specific. You can read about the I-134 (affidavit of support ) make sure you meet the poverty guidelines for a K1 or find a co-sponsor .. As far as proof of relationship .. pictures are great for the interview .. phone records , plane tickets, ring receipt .. letters or emails .. anything you can think of really. A new letter of intent is a good idea for the interview. As far as the medical goes .. i have read lots of different threads about different experiences depending on the doctor .. my understanding is you only need a doctors letter if you have been hospitalized or are taking medication ( my son had kidney surgery 2 weeks before our interview and thats what was required ) Here is what the uscis site says about the medical

Medical grounds of inadmissibility” is a term used when an applicant has a health condition which is a public health concern to the United States. Under the U.S. immigration laws, the medical grounds of inadmissibility are divided into four categories:

communicable disease of public health significance;

lack of required vaccinations (for immigrant visa applicants only);

physical or mental disorders with harmful behavior; and

drug abuse/drug addiction.

You can read the whole page here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/Medical_Exam.htm#pos

For the record .. I wasn't asked anything about my mental health @ my medical interview ( not to say you won't be asked ) Good luck .. hope this helps :star:

~My AOS (K1)

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Sons AOS (K2) Age 11

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Daughters AOS (K2) Age 9

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 07/07 RFE Snail mail

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Feb 14/07 sent back RFE ~ Feb 21/07 email resp. RFE

Feb 29/07 Transfered to CSC !!

April 03/07 Card production ordered

April 04/07 Welcome notice sent

April 07/07 Welcome notice & Green card arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Jessica,

I know everyone's timelines are different and each case has a life of it's own, but MOZPLAY and I sent our I129 at the same time and our petition was approved (NOA2) in less than 1 month. We are now simply waiting on Package 3 and it's waiting for the interview that seems to take 2-4 months. Hopefully this gives you a better idea of what to expect in terms of time frame. Bear in mind we also didn't get any RFE's.

You are lucky, filing via Vermont is a great bonus!!!

Good luck!

Tanya

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.