raygellenbeck

Form G-235A technicality for spouse name

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Please only answer if you are sure (as in you've done it yourself and it worked). I've had past questions get answered with "I think" and "maybe" and that only serves to further cloud instead of clarify. Thanks in advance for understanding...now the question...

American man married Filipina wife.

Filing K3/CR1 spousal visa.

Completing Wife's G-235A form

First Field top of form, (Family Name)...

Does she list her maiden name or my last name that she took when we married?

Related, as Filipinos move their maiden name to become their new middle name upon marriage, do I list her maiden middle name or her new married version?

I am presuming married name, but you know how those presumptions work out...

I searched but this forum is suffering from a bit of "over-information" and I couldn't swim through all the G-235a search results to see a relevant question.

Thanks in advance...

Additional/related info:

Wife has NOT updated her passport or other official documents to use her married name yet. Wondering if/when she should do that or if we just use her maiden name for all the processing except of course the marriage certificate.

hello, i'm a filipina and my husband is american. when we filled out forms, i listed the last name name of my husband as my last name and my maiden name as middle name, no problem. Your wife must update her passport because it would be complicated if you will use her maiden name and yet your married. What I did, I attended seminar at CFO ( Commission on Filipino Overseas) to avail that certificate of attendance which is required for renewing passport ( it is only required for those women who married foriegner). Then I asked a copy of marriage certificate from NSO (National Statistic Office). When I got them both, I made an appointment at DFA for passport renewal. I used my husband's last name as my last name and maiden name as middle name. I have now my passport using my husband's last name.

I hope this help. God bless.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Use the current legal name regardless of what is shown on any other documents. There is also space to put other names used. That is where maiden names, nicknames, etc. are listed.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I used my married name in this form, as well as all other forms we filled out for USCIS, and mentionned my maiden name in the Other names used box. Got our petition approved.

The passport is not needed until the next step, so she has a little time to have it renewed and/or amended. Mine is being renewed now.

Just make sure you use the same name for her in each form (G235A, I130 and I129F if you go for K3), and her passport matches when you get to the NVC step (because then you'll have to provide a copy of it).

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

:thumbs:

hello, i'm a filipina and my husband is american. when we filled out forms, i listed the last name name of my husband as my last name and my maiden name as middle name, no problem. Your wife must update her passport because it would be complicated if you will use her maiden name and yet your married. What I did, I attended seminar at CFO ( Commission on Filipino Overseas) to avail that certificate of attendance which is required for renewing passport ( it is only required for those women who married foriegner). Then I asked a copy of marriage certificate from NSO (National Statistic Office). When I got them both, I made an appointment at DFA for passport renewal. I used my husband's last name as my last name and maiden name as middle name. I have now my passport using my husband's last name.

I hope this help. God bless.

Use the current legal name regardless of what is shown on any other documents. There is also space to put other names used. That is where maiden names, nicknames, etc. are listed.

Frank and Racquel

04-15-2010 - met online

11-23-2011 - married

12-08-2011 - sent I-130 (Chicago Lock-Box)

12-12-2011 - NOA1 (California Service Center)

• 2 months later...

In my case we filed the I-130 and G325A with my maiden name. Oh God I hope I will not have problems in the future. We just got the NOA1 and we're waiting for the NOA2. Also my passport is about to expire this year (2012)on August and I don't know if I should change my last name or just keep my maiden name since we've already filed those forms in my maiden name. So I guess I should just renew my passport with my maiden name. T_T IDK Any Advice?

11.25.2010 - Our Wedding

USCIS STAGE-95 Days

02.11.2012 - Filed I-130

02.16.2012 - Received by USCIS/ Priority Date

02.28.2012 - I-797C Hard Copy Received (NOA1)

04.13.2012 - Last Updated by USCIS on Website

06.01.2012 - I-797 (NOA2)

06.09.2012 - I-797 Hard Copy Received (NOA2)

NVC STAGE-77 Days

06.29.2012 - NVC Received (Called hotline on 06.02)

07.03.2012 - Case Number and IIN / Emailed DS-3032

07.11.2012 - AOS Invoice Generated / Paid AOS / Emailed DS-3032 again

07.12.2012 - AOS Showed as PAID

07.13.2012 - NVC Accepted DS-3032

07.14.2012 - Sent Off AOS Package via DHL (PH-USA)

07.16.2012 - IV Fee Bill Invoice Generated / Paid IV Packet / Sent Off IV Packet

07.18.2012 - AOS Package Delivered at NVC

07.19.2012 - IV Packet Delivered at NVC / IV Fee Bill Showed as PAID

07.29.2012 - AOS Checklist Received (2011 Tax Return)

07.31.2012 - IV Packet Accepted

08.01.2012 - Sent Off AOS Checklist via DHL (PH-USA)

08.03.2012 - AOS Checklist Delivered at NVC

08.09.2012 - CASE COMPETED AT NVC!

09.12.2012 - CFO Seminar

09.13.2012 - Interview Date Assigned (10.15.2012)

09.14.2012 - Packet 4 Instructions Received

09.20.2012 - Medical (2days)

CONSULATE STAGE - 37 Days

10.15.2012 - Interview 06:15AM APPROVED!

10.19.2012 - Visa on hand

10.19.2012 - CFO Sticker

==IN AMERICA==

11.0X.2012 - POE

XX.XX.2012 - GC Received

XX.XX.2012 - SSN Assigned

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

In my case we filed the I-130 and G325A with my maiden name. Oh God I hope I will not have problems in the future. We just got the NOA1 and we're waiting for the NOA2. Also my passport is about to expire this year (2012)on August and I don't know if I should change my last name or just keep my maiden name since we've already filed those forms in my maiden name. So I guess I should just renew my passport with my maiden name. T_T IDK Any Advice?

What is the rule/custom in your country? Is it mandatory for a married woman to take her husband's last name? If not, you can keep your name on your passport, and continue filing all the forms with your (maiden) name. Using your husband's is not an obligation with the immigration process.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.