19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi there,

I had a similar experience; in that my case was considered abandoned because I failed to turn up for my interview. The fact of the matter with us is, USCIS NEVER, EVER sent the letter. When we, finally, had our interview last week, the SF office had no evidence of that letter being sent to us.

Anyway, I digress. Here's what we did after we received that scary letter telling me I had to leave the country immediately because they considered our application abandoned.

1. We made an infopass appointment and took the first one we could get.

2. I phoned the mis-information line daily about our case. I gathered as much info as I could about our case.

3. We went to our infopass appointment and told our story. Mr Waldo Church of the San Francisco office is as helpful as tits on bulls. We asked him to write on our denial papers his findings.

4. His findings were that we never received notification of our interview and that we had to file a motion to re-open.

5. We enquired as to why we had to pay $385 (or close to that) for the USCIS f**king up. He advised us to file and pay up. Nothing else could be done.

6. We researched this and made many enquiries. In the end, we filed the MTR and paid up.

Long story short... that is the quickest option that *I* think is available to you. My AOS was approved about 10 days ago. A couple of months after I received the denial letter.

Good luck!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hi Diego,

Hope you weren't offended about my words about blaming. I've seen more than one person who seemed shoot themselves in the foot by getting testy (some people just don't have the good sense to kiss a little a** when necessary!), so I just wanted to throw out a word of caution. :blush:

I think visiting USCIS now is a good idea, even if they say they don't take walk-ins. It seems from what I have read on VJ that each local office operates a little differently and that they aren't always as strict as their website(s) or documents might have you believe. At any rate, a visit shows your concern, you can at the very least document that you went there and tried to talk to them right away, and you may actually get somewhere, or learn something, or prevent your file from being sent away from the local office. Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi Diego,

Hope you weren't offended about my words about blaming. I've seen more than one person who seemed shoot themselves in the foot by getting testy (some people just don't have the good sense to kiss a little a** when necessary!), so I just wanted to throw out a word of caution. :blush:

I think visiting USCIS now is a good idea, even if they say they don't take walk-ins. It seems from what I have read on VJ that each local office operates a little differently and that they aren't always as strict as their website(s) or documents might have you believe. At any rate, a visit shows your concern, you can at the very least document that you went there and tried to talk to them right away, and you may actually get somewhere, or learn something, or prevent your file from being sent away from the local office. Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Maya

I SOOOO agree with Maya's post(s) on this.

Don't try to cast blame on them. Eat crow & beg help. I'd also try the walk in--many offices will take them even if it says onlilne that they don't.

If you must have an appointment, try setting one when it's later in the evening. Unused & cancelled appts are thrown back in the pool around 8-10pm.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

hi again everyone, and thanks for the input.

for those who've done this motion to reopen... i didn't really find much about it, anywhere.

i don't really know what to put together. is there a form to fill out as well? and the letter itself, are there guidelines to follow?

maya, i didn't feel offended at all! i appreciate the advices.

thanks again!

Edited by djs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.