toocool

listing/selling your house

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Since one never knows how long the K-1 process will take, I look to my new friends on VJ to give me some guidance.

When do you put your house up for sale????

With 3 kids and myself....I can't list or sell too early as we wont' have a place to live (sure we could rent for a couple of months but the thought of packing and unpacking only to repack and re-unpack numbs me) ....and if I wait too late...I don't want to be in the US with an unsold house.

If it was just me, no big deal but with the kids it makes it more challenging.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Since one never knows how long the K-1 process will take, I look to my new friends on VJ to give me some guidance.

With 3 kids and myself....I can't list or sell too early as we wont' have a place to live (sure we could rent for a couple of months but the thought of packing and unpacking only to repack and re-unpack numbs me) ....and if I wait too late...I don't want to be in the US with an unsold house.

Thanks,

what's the market like there? You can pretty much count on a little extra time because there is more than yourself going across. Extra paperwork. It takes about 60 days to close on a house sale. If I was you I would get the sale out of the way pack everything except the bare essentials needed to run your home, put the rest in storage and rent. But I don't know all the dynamics of your family. Remember if the house isn't sold when the time comes you will have to complete everything by mail courier, and fax. Which isn't unheard of either.

Terri

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Once your K-1 visa is issued, it is valid for 6 months. You can enter the US with it any time in those 6 months, right up to the very last day.

The repeated exhortation of USCIS and the Consulates is to not make any irrevocable plans or actions until the visa is in your hand.

Accordingly, I would make preparations to list as soon as possible, and list the house the instant you have the visa in hand. The house should sell within 6 months, all things being equal, depending on your market and asking price.

In the worst case scenario there are management companies who will rent and maintain the property for you after you move for a nominal percentage of the monthly rent - what is left over will be used for the mortgage payments.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Thanks,

Our case is still at the NVC but I have done all the pre-work for a sale, including repainting the house. I have an agent with all the paperwork ready to go and it will be on the market on the day the visa is issued. We will not be selling before that - not advisable. You will have 6 months to move once a visa is issued - you can use that time to sell.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would advise you to take a look into what the market is like where you live. Where we live in the US, nothing is selling. Houses in my neighbourhood have now been on the market for over two years.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

I am scared that my house won't move like all others here....unless I give it away....and that hurts as it is a very well made quality home (a custom home)...unlike those thrown together like 'shoe-makers'. It would be so nice to make some money on it.

The other part that scares me as the recent money I've put into it to sell it....would be nice to re-coop some back!

On another note....I hear your ideas about listing now, lessening those worries and living simply with the basics until the visa is in hand. This makes a lot of sense to me as I'm adaptable because it's ultimately my move....can't say my kids would be overly excited about it though.

There's enough stress with this entire process....keeping things to a minimal is my aim with the kids.

:D

I listed mine as soon as I got my approval from Montreal. It's still sitting with a for sale sign on the lawn unfortunately, so we're paying for two households and I've already dropped the price by 10 grand. My real estate agent is dealing with me by email and fax, and we have a 48hr clause that allows him time to get a hold of me if he ever gets an offer. (pray!) As to selling out of the country, people do it all the time, but if you can sell before you go, you have that peace of mind, which might be worth even a few months living in a hotel! (kids are very adaptable, and they might even enjoy it!)

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.