raindrop

??? B1 Tourist visa wait time ???

12 posts in this topic

Hi all!

My fiance was here on a B1 tourist visa for 9 months. He has returned to his home, Hungary. Does anyone know how long of a waiting period there is before he can apply for another B1 visa? Will he even be granted another?

Thanks!!!

B-1 is a business visa. B-2 is a tourist visa. There are no limits to how many B visas one can apply for. No waiting period. Whether a B visa will be granted is up to the consular officer and depends on a lot of factors.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Oops! I meant B2. :)

I'll ask the consulate.

Thanks for your reply! :)

How long was his period of authorized stay... I believe the maximum for anyone is 6 months...

Did he overstay his visa... if so, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting another.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline
It was 6 months. He did overstay, but legally! We asked for an extension and were approved! Does that make a difference in the situation?

Yes it does.. it means that he was in the US legally and is not subject to a ban on reentry...

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He had a single entry? Usually B2's are issued for 10 years and are mutiple entries.

Rough rule of thumb is to stay out as long as you were in, but individual circumstances may vary.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
His visa was issued as a 6 month visa. If it were 10 year, it would simplify our problems. :)

So his chances on getting approved for another are good?

BOILER -

I'm not sure what you mean by, stay out as long as you were in. What do you mean?

Ok so a single entry 6 month visa, now expired.

As it is a visitors visa it means that you live somehwere else, to support that you should stay out as long as you came in, in this case 9 months or so. Otherwise the presumption will be that you have immigrant intent.

He also has the additional requirement of a need to obtain a visa, as he has been through it once should know to substantiate ties to Hungary, job, property etc etc requiring his return.

A joke I play with the 6 year old, she says she is hungry, I say I am Roumania, well I find it funny.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

His visa was issued as a 6 month visa. If it were 10 year, it would simplify our problems. :)

So his chances on getting approved for another are good?

BOILER -

I'm not sure what you mean by, stay out as long as you were in. What do you mean?

Ok so a single entry 6 month visa, now expired.

As it is a visitors visa it means that you live somehwere else, to support that you should stay out as long as you came in, in this case 9 months or so. Otherwise the presumption will be that you have immigrant intent.

He also has the additional requirement of a need to obtain a visa, as he has been through it once should know to substantiate ties to Hungary, job, property etc etc requiring his return.

A joke I play with the 6 year old, she says she is hungry, I say I am Roumania, well I find it funny.

But last time, did he put that he had a USC fiancee? He'll have to place that on his DS-156 now. And that could change the equation entirely.

If he doesn't own up to the fact that he has a USC fiancee, that would be an misrepresentation which would cause you problems with your future visa efforts. He needs to be totally honest on why he wants the visa... If you want to get marrie din the US, why don't you go for a K1... Is there some reason why you're focused on DCF...

Maybe you should see if you can get married in a third country... I hear it's relatively easy to get married in Aruba or some toher Carribean islands. That may be an easier route that trying to get a B2 into the US.

Edited by zyggy

Filed: Timeline

Ha ha, very funny BROILER. :)

No, he didn't state I was his fiance, as at that time we were not engaged. :) We've been very careful to do everything legally and to be truthful.

We decided against the K-1 visa because of its lengthy process.

I heard getting married in a 3rd country is easier as well. Thanks for the suggestion on the Caribbean. We were only looking into Europe.

Timeline

K1 is usually quicker than K3 and CR1, and you can start now rather than wait until you are married.

I would expect it would be easier to get married in Hungary, well most likely quickest compared to any other alternatives.

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.